• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Trying to induct on bupe but too scared.

Requiem4adream

Bluelighter
Hi all,
This is my 5th time in 20 years inducting on buprenorphine- subutex.
The clinic have been brilliant trying to help me get off my 20 year addiction to OTC and prescription dhc & codeine. I've been given subs which I wanted.
The last 5 days I've dosed my dhc and codeine at 2pm and just about managed to get to 6 a.m ready to take my subs. But I chicken out at the thought of getting precipitated withdrawals (PW).
I've never actually had PW before. I was planning on taking 0.5 every hour or two until stable.
There's no way I'm trying the burnese method! I just don't know what to do. I have a family to look after and fear PW like nothing else.
I'm not sure what help u guys can b as it's obviously my own psychological issue.
I'm not keen on methodone as I don't want to feel high. The clinic is miles from my house so I don't want to induct there.
Any suggestions or support most appreciated. Hope you are all ok, it really does suck to be us sometime s.

Also, I know this sounds dramatic, I worry that the legal online chemists that u can use in the UK to get prescription opiates from via an online Dr consultation (there's a loophole in the law) might not send legit meds. Now I've always read reviews about the chemist websites on review sites and all the chemists have the right logos. The meds come from real pharmacies and are signed on the box. Anyway I worry there's a substance in there that will linger longer than dhc and cause PW! I even worry about my iron tablets and vit d !

Maybe I'm wrong but Buprenorphine or Methadone is an overkill for Codeine/ DHC dependency especially if the intention is maintenance but not rapid taper.

That's what some people think but if you've suffered addiction then it doesn't matter what the substance is, you can't quit it and that's the issue.
Maintenance helps you retrain the pathway's in your brain, it reverses the desire to use- use cycle.

Thanks for the info. I think that it's quite irresponsible for a health professional to use these 2 very potent medications to help with Codeine dependency as long as Codein/ DHC aren't somehow fatally dangerous for the person or it's not a legally mandated action.

They could have tried other ways before putting you in such a potentially dangerous situation. Dependency of both Buprenorphine and Methadone are some of the hardest to break. Many people with long term opiate dependency problems would choose to withdraw from H instead of these two.

I'm not saying that your addiction isn't serious or painful but it's definitely not so bad that you need to be on a substance which is ridiculously more potent and much much longer acting.

How much do use a day?

Thank you for your concern but I don't think you read my original post. I have had a daily habit of 20 years, I started out with far stronger opiates in the early days. I've been on bupe 4x. Now if I had written that I had a morphine addition you probably wouldn't have piped up, remember codeine and dhc do breakdown into morphine in the body and I've not disclosed my mgs.
Anyway if someone could comment on my original post re induction I'd be very pleased.

Thank you for your concern but I don't think you read my original post. I have had a daily habit of 20 years, I started out with far stronger opiates in the early days. I've been on bupe 4x. Now if I had written that I had a morphine addition you probably wouldn't have piped up, remember codeine and dhc do breakdown into morphine in the body and I've not disclosed my mgs.
Anyway if someone could comment on my original post re induction I'd be very pleased.

Hello mate and welcome to Bluelight.

I think the only practical advice in this situation is to take your last dose of codeine/DHC and then wait as long as you possibly can until you literally can't stand the withdrawals anymore then induct the bupe...start with 1-2mg and see how you feel. If you're in significant withdrawals and feeling like shit then you won't get PWs. This might mean waiting 24 hours or even a little longer, but it's the only real way to guarantee you won't experience precipitated withdrawal. You will will feel pretty rough but it will only be for a day or so.

Hi all,
The clinic have been brilliant trying to help me get off my 20 year addiction to OTC and prescription dhc & codeine. I've been given subs which I wanted.
The last 5 days I've dosed my dhc and codeine at 2pm and just about managed to get to 6 a.m ready to take my subs. But I chicken out at the thought of getting precipitated withdrawals (PW).
I've never actually had PW before. I was planning on taking 0.5 every hour or two until stable.
There's no way I'm trying the burnese method! I just don't know what to do. I have a family to look after and fear PW like nothing else.
I'm not sure what help u guys can b as it's obviously my own psychological issue.
I'm not keen on methodone as I don't want to feel high. The clinic is miles from my house so I don't want to induct there.
Any suggestions or support most appreciated. Hope you are all ok, it really does suck to be us sometime s.
I was in a similar boat 5weeks ago. 12hours after using my last diamorphine dose I was force fed bupe by the pharmacist to this I expected bad pwd. I had to take 4mg of bupe supervised (espranor not subutex but very similar) and then take 4mg l8r at home. I had mild vomiting bad diahorrea, various abdominal pain & the worst headache ever, my senses became heightened and smoking tobacco made me instantly sick, pure weed seemed to help from the 2nd day onwards but with heightened senses the smell of what I usually love was a sickly smell.
All I can suggest is go as long as poss without your dhc + codeine. is your dhc slow release or normal I think anything above the 30mg pills are the waxy slow release ones which release much slower than the 30mg dhc so if poss use non slow release + basically try dosing your dhc+codeine a few hours earlier an start your subs at say 10am as opposed to 6am, that's if this is bearable. Make sure you have time off work if needed and just go for it mate. I spent 5years putting off going on bupe and massively regret it choosing liquid handcuffs(methadone) which I massively regret.
Sorry if this reply is a bit if a mishmash and I hope it reads ok. respect
"The timing of your first dose of subs & last dose of did is key" get the timing correct and you will be fine. Feeling for you brother✌

Thanks for your comments. I took my last dose at 2pm and hope to go 16h minimum. The dhc are panadin forte so I don't think they're slow release.
God I hate transitioning to bupe. I get the prefibin brand, do you know much about that one?

Hi all,

Hey mate,

I went through a inpatient detox centre coming off of an obscene dose of oxy daily and I was unfortunate enough that the staff put me into PW...

I was always an IR oxy user, and my ROA was insufflation and so I know our substances don't quite match up however I wanted to chime in because I went +72hrs post last dose (quite high dose) and still went into PW.

In not saying this will happen to you and the Drs and nurses all said that I was a massive anomaly as any risk of PW should have been long past but what I am trying to get to is..

Wait it out AS LONG as you can possibly manage to give yourself the best chance of a smooth transition.

I also know how you feel about the clinics... Here in order to dose my bupe I need to attend every day and it's 45 mins drive each way... We have a hard enough time keeping ourselves together as it is let alone having such few clinics....

Anyway all the best my friend, you got this and sorry for the long reply!

I was in a similar boat 5weeks ago. 12hours after using my last diamorphine dose I was force fed bupe by the pharmacist to this I expected bad pwd. I had to take 4mg of bupe supervised (espranor not subutex but very similar) and then take 4mg l8r at home. I had mild vomiting bad diahorrea, various abdominal pain & the worst headache ever, my senses became heightened and smoking tobacco made me instantly sick, pure weed seemed to help from the 2nd day onwards but with heightened senses the smell of what I usually love was a sickly smell.
All I can suggest is go as long as poss without your dhc + codeine. is your dhc slow release or normal I think anything above the 30mg pills are the waxy slow release ones which release much slower than the 30mg dhc so if poss use non slow release + basically try dosing your dhc+codeine a few hours earlier an start your subs at say 10am as opposed to 6am, that's if this is bearable. Make sure you have time off work if needed and just go for it mate. I spent 5years putting off going on bupe and massively regret it choosing liquid handcuffs(methadone) which I massively regret.
Sorry if this reply is a bit if a mishmash and I hope it reads ok. respect
"The timing of your first dose of subs & last dose of did is key" get the timing correct and you will be fine. Feeling for you brother✌
Thanks for your comments. I took my last dose at 2pm and hope to go 16h minimum. The dhc are panadin forte so I don't think they're slow release.
God I hate transitioning to bupe. I get the prefibin brand, do you know much about that one?
Well I wish you the best, good luck & try to hold it down my friend.Im in the UK so prefibin doesn't ring any bells. From what I can remember of dhc is if it's a normal tablet formation for example like a cheap paracetomol, it's standard release if it has any wax in the tablet or little round white balls in a capsule its most likely a prolonged release that lasts up to 12h some brands possibly 24h. which could be a problem if this was the case, but I trust you know your meds much better than my guesswork😬
My knowledge on anything other than what's available on the UK market is pretty much non existent. +we are lucky to have some half decent treatment providers + the NHS doesn't charge for meds just £9 per fill per prescription item unless your unemployed,a student,disabled or buy an exemption certificate which costs £29.10 for 3months or £104 per year. There probably a few other exemptions which I can't think of off the top of my head but unimportant atm.
yup the transition can be a bit rough the 1st few days and providing you avoid pw its definataly worth it.
If you've got something safe to help you sleep out any extra hours try that but pls take care mixing any meds as only you know your tolerances.
You can do it man! The fear and anxiety is a totally normal thing.
1 last bit of advice is try to have a supportive person there,some one who you don't wanna let down as it helped me greatly. I actually stopped at my parents for a week as I may of given in been home alone.✌

Hi guys, thanks for the words of encouragement.
The buprenorphine is the prefibin brand not the dhc. I'm hoping that brand is decent because there is a dodgy one out there so my Dr said.
Yes here in the UK, trying to get on a bupe maintenance program is near impossible hence I've gone private. The clinic is well known but it's two train rides away!
Anyway I got to the 13h mark last night but caved in and chickened out and took dhc . .. again!
Like u said, I really should have someone here with me but no one knows !

Oh and also onesand, do u have kidney issues? That can put u in PW as the opiates take longer to leave. Was it street OXY? Could it have had anything long acting in?
Poor u that sux.

Going on methadone or suboxone is overkill for codeine. Taper or go cold Turkey and be done in a week instead of years

Bit of an old thread but for anyone reading (or OP if they're still here): google the bernese method.