• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Truth About Tramadol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked with pain patients with no prior history of drug abuse, who were prescribed tramadol and more often than not, it worked well for them. So no, it's not what doctors prescribe to people they'd consider prone to abusing "real" opioids.

I put tramadol beyond oxycodone and codeine recreationally. Funny how opinions vary, ain't it? Tramadol isn't your usual opiate/opioid high, but that doesn't make it useless.

Riddle me this, then - why not give them codeine, the low-dose variations of bupe for pain, or even hydrocodone instead? You don't have to answer. I'll answer. It's because Tram is MUCH WEAKER, thus lower risks of everything, from abuse to being eyed out by the DEA and having your license revoked.

Tramadol may have an "effect" on opioid-naive individuals, but I'd bet you pennies to the dime that if you gave them the same amount (converted, of course) of codeine, it would result in greater analgesia.

Now, wheover has that magical gene, good on them. But nobody I know has it. And that's why there is almost no demand for Tramadol (and thus no supply) on the black market. I can get almost anything, but not a single soul I know can get tramadol unless its from their own medicine cabinet, from their own prescription.

Edit: And I'm not blind, I see the posts from people worried about withdrawing from tramadol, and I see that it actually happens. I'm not denying that it binds to the mu-opioid receptor, I'm just saying it doesn't do so with much efficacy. And to those people - try kicking a gram of heroin/day for two years. Then come back and tell us about your tramadol withdrawal.

Last edited:
^I'm really not sure what your point is.

Many "normal" people LIKE Tramadol for that exact reason. Many people are so worried about addiction they won't even take opiates (my Mom for example--sticks to Tramadol and 800mg Naproxen for her knees/hips). They know that Tramadol is the weakest prescription painkiller that can actually work so they use it whether or not it gets them 100% pain free. Many people also don't like the feeling that comes along with opiates.

Such a lack of empathy in this thread.... and for no good reason?

Riddle me this, then - why not give them codeine, the low-dose variations of bupe for pain, or even hydrocodone instead? You don't have to answer. I'll answer. It's because Tram is MUCH WEAKER, thus lower risks of everything, from abuse to being eyed out by the DEA and having your license revoked.

Tramadol may have an "effect" on opioid-naive individuals, but I'd bet you pennies to the dime that if you gave them the same amount (converted, of course) of codeine, it would result in greater analgesia.

Now, wheover has that magical gene, good on them. But nobody I know has it. And that's why there is almost no demand for Tramadol (and thus no supply) on the black market. I can get almost anything, but not a single soul I know can get tramadol unless its from their own medicine cabinet, from their own prescription.

Edit: And I'm not blind, I see the posts from people worried about withdrawing from tramadol, and I see that it actually happens. I'm not denying that it binds to the mu-opioid receptor, I'm just saying it doesn't do so with much efficacy. And to those people - try kicking a gram of heroin/day for two years. Then come back and tell us about your tramadol withdrawal.

There is a large demand and supply for tramadol on the "black" market, you probably just don't realize it since it exists somewhere between a grey and a black market (I won't elaborate). It may not be on your radar but I can assure you it is a thriving market.

Also, tramadol abusage has grown to near epic proportions in some parts of the world. It reported as such not to long ago, I can't remember where but I'll see if I can find it.

I have withdrawn from various opiates over the years. Withdrawals from heavy tramadol can actually be quite severe. I speak from experience. Tramadol withdrawals can hold their own against others... In fact, in some ways it was worse... Tramadol withdrawals had their own special hell to them probably due to its unique receptor activity.

It's really not that crazy at all when you think about it.

It's probably one of the most commonly and widely rx'd opioid, along with maybe hydrocodone.

Add in the fact that people will take excessive doses to chase a stronger opioid high and end up seizing.

Also, heroin actually isn't that common of a street drug in many parts of the world. It seems like pharms are much bigger in the black market in some countries, and they can be a lot cheaper in some parts of the world too (as opposed to the US), but I'm just guessing.

I wouldn't be surprised if globally, it's one of the most common street opioids, and the seizures-those would explain additional deaths. And people will undoubtedly chase the high because trams aren't all that strong.

^I'm really not sure what your point is.

Many "normal" people LIKE Tramadol for that exact reason. Many people are so worried about addiction they won't even take opiates (my Mom for example--sticks to Tramadol and 800mg Naproxen for her knees/hips). They know that Tramadol is the weakest prescription painkiller that can actually work so they use it whether or not it gets them 100% pain free. Many people also don't like the feeling that comes along with opiates.

Such a lack of empathy in this thread.... and for no good reason?

Lol. My point is a direct answer to the question of the thread, namely "The Truth About Tramadol", which is that it sucks. Now, my idea of what "sucks" to someone else's may vary, but if I'm looking for an opioid, I'd like something that is stronger than codeine, which tramadol very much is not.

Edit: And my second point is that it gets prescribed so often because of its utter weakness of action. It's slightly less patronising for a pain patient to get a script of trams than to get a script for high dose acetominophen/ibuprofen/naproxen.

I don't think anyone is saying tramadol withdrawal is worse than kicking a gram of heroin... I think a lot of people are caught off guard by the severity of WD because it's supposed to be an extremely weak opioid, but it's also an extremely dirty drug and the brunt of WD is coming from other receptor activities (or norepinephrine and serotonin).

For example, my doctor told me tramadol was an antiinflammatory that doesn't cause physical dependence when I brought up my concerns about taking a lot of it everyday. If you do a gram of H a day you were at least somewhat aware of what you might be getting yourself into.

I'm going to close this now, as the thread is going nowhere.
Conclusion: Some people get effects from tramadol, while others don't. If one takes it responibly and doesn't go over 300mg (anything above can induce seizures) it's not that dangerous. Withdrawal can be worse than with a normal opioid because of the SNRI action of tramadol.

Status
Not open for further replies.