• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Trouble sleeping ON phenibut?

Zenxious

Greenlighter
Some background information: I don't have a history of using illicit drugs or alcohol or gaba-ergic drugs. I got my hands on phenibut after I heard about its amazing effects on sleep, anxiety, depression and pro social behavior. Even though I enjoyed the euphoria I got while on it the first few times, I never took it as a means to get high. I try to eat healthy and exercise doing body weight stuff and light jogging through the neighborhood (at noon, gotta get some sun). I also take vitamins, fishoil, and noopept (but I'm taking a break from it currently).

I started using phenibut again after a month break. I've been taking 2-3 grams for almost three weeks now. At first it helped sleep just like before but now I'm finding to "stimulating" to go to sleep. I'm not wired or anything, I'm still relaxed and calm, I just can't get a full 7-9 hours nights rest. I get a very broken 4-5 hours and somehow still wake up refreshed for some reason. It doesn't matter if I split the dosages throughout the day or if I take one big dose at night. I just don't get it. Is this a matter of getting the right dose or is tolerance beginning to rear its ugly head?

Last edited:
It only get worse. Towards the end of my run with Phenibut I was sleeping two hours and waking up fully refreshed and ready for the day - needless to say, this is not healthy nor is it sustainable. Eventually you wake up in withdrawal. I think it has to do with the initial anxiolysis followed by some stimulatory downstream mechanism via PEA or DA. Many of the effects of GABA-B receptor agonism, especially by Phenibut have yet to be elucidated.

I've been taking it daily for like 8 months. It really does just get worst. I've tapered down from 3g a day to 1g a day and my sleep is so fucked up. I'm sleeping like 2 hours a night for a few days then I'll pass out for like 16 hours followed by another few days of 2 hours a night. It's a vicious cycle.

I can't wait to be off this shit.

I just can't help but beat myself up for not having self control. I've always been a shy, nervous person even as a child. I was always told I was "too serious" and to "lighten up". I felt like I could have a back and forth conversation. I noticed body language and other small nuances I didn't before. Even my family seemed to like being around me. Not only did phenibut remove anxiety, I started to enjoy the small things like being outside, a conversation, a good meal. I also didn't procrastinate and started working on projects I've been putting off. (I still feel this effect actually). Shit made me feel like a human being and not a robot. Just good well being.
It only get worse. Towards the end of my run with Phenibut I was sleeping two hours and waking up fully refreshed and ready for the day - needless to say, this is not healthy nor is it sustainable. Eventually you wake up in withdrawal. I think it has to do with the initial anxiolysis followed by some stimulatory downstream mechanism via PEA or DA. Many of the effects of GABA-B receptor agonism, especially by Phenibut have yet to be elucidated.
I really haven't been on phenibut that long. Total time is probably two and a half months. Does tolerance really build that fast? How long did you use before it stopped working? Taper or just quit cold turkey?

It may not seem like it now, but trust me Phenibut is too good to be true. I'm learning that the hard way. I started at 2g a day, and now at 8 months of daily usage I had progressed to 3-3.5g a day. I decided I could either keep increasing my dosage and make my eventual comedown worst, or I could get off. So I'm tapering and hopefully withdrawal won't be too bad.

At around the 4 month point, I started getting weird side effects. Constant brain fog, depression, etc. I hate that I got myself hooked on this shit. My doctor has no idea what phenibut is do he's no help getting off lol

I really haven't been on phenibut that long. Total time is probably two and a half months. Does tolerance really build that fast? How long did you use before it stopped working? Taper or just quit cold turkey?

Tolerance built faster than any drug I have ever tried. It's one of the few drugs that you can become physically dependent on in as little as 3 days. The magic & ensuing honeymoon lasted approximately 6 months for me. Started at 1 gram and ended at 10 grams per day. Overall it was a life changing experience in a positive way, but the withdrawal and side effects at the end were some of the scariest shit I've been through and I have withdrawn from hefty IV heroin habits in my past.

It really is a terrible withdrawal. My first time wasn't that bad, but I was on low infrequent doses for a month. So I was just irritated and didn't sleep for a couple days. This time around, after 8 months of daily use, if I skip a dose I start to feel like im going psychotic lol

Tolerance built faster than any drug I have ever tried. It's one of the few drugs that you can become physically dependent on in as little as 3 days. The magic & ensuing honeymoon lasted approximately 6 months for me. Started at 1 gram and ended at 10 grams per day. Overall it was a life changing experience in a positive way, but the withdrawal and side effects at the end were some of the scariest shit I've been through and I have withdrawn from hefty IV heroin habits in my past.
It really is a terrible withdrawal. My first time wasn't that bad, but I was on low infrequent doses for a month. So I was just irritated and didn't sleep for a couple days. This time around, after 8 months of daily use, if I skip a dose I start to feel like im going psychotic lol
I found a taper plan here. http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/685846-The-most-effective-Phenibut-Taper
Poster says to start at 2 grams and drop the dosage by 100mg each day and to dose once a day at night. You guys are more experienced with phenibut but this taper looks good.

Last edited:
Yeah I've spent months researching the best way to taper. I dropped 50-100mg a day from 3g to around 1.2g. That's when withdrawal symptoms started hitting me hard. So I've slowed it down, dropping my dose 100mg every 5-7 days. It's all good so far. I have some klonopin for the first few days I'm completely off the phenibut. And some really good kava root.

I keep thinking I might want to try Phenibut STRICTLY for once a week usage but these threads make me question that.

Seems like a really unforgiving substance but one that might be promising if kept to a minimum.

I keep thinking I might want to try Phenibut STRICTLY for once a week usage but these threads make me question that.

Seems like a really unforgiving substance but one that might be promising if kept to a minimum.
I believe this really depends on why you are using phenibut. If you're not really prone to anxiety, stress and not naturally introverted, I think abuse is lower. Like I said, I have been prone to nervousness, stress and anxiety since I was a kid. I took something that fixed lifelong problems since childhood. At that point, it didn't matter that I read all the horror stories and warnings beforehand.

I really do think its promising and would support actual legitimate study of it.

Last edited:
Phenibut cold turkey is a BRUTAL withdrawal take my my word for it no sleep for days n severe paranoid anxiety which was only helped with Valium , nasty nasty little chemical

If u need help with anxiety see your doc and insist on a benzo say oxazepam and u can avoid the shit I went threw

small update:

I had tapered down to 1.6 Grams but decided to just quit cold turkey. Even with tapering I was getting poor sleep and felt I was prolonging it. I took 300mg Gabapentin last night around the time the 33 hours last dose. Within 1-2 hours the anxiety, shakiness and sweating went away. I got some sleep but not before 5am.

Its been 47 hours since I took phenibut and I havent felt anything besides a feeling of uneasiness and extreme boredom. Does gabapentin have a long half life? Is it still having an effect?

Last edited:
Note: this ended up being WAY longer than I intended, and I didn't actually even mention a number of other things I had wanted to touch on. But just wanted to add some thoughts about my experiences with phenibut addiction, tapering, and withdrawal.

So, first off, obviously it is addictive. And it's a GABA-B agonist, as opposed to benzos, ethanol, barbiturates, and most downers. A lot of bluelighters know this, of course, but I'm referencing it because this fact matters A LOT when you're considering taking other drugs to try and mitigate withdrawal. Basically, benzos and booze won't actually help much with the specific anxiety, distress, insomnia, etc. that GABA-B agonists produce during acute withdrawal.

Ok, so now that that's on the table, how addictive is phenibut and does the possible risk of working with it outweigh its potential benefits? Also, what to do once you've addicted yourself to this substance? Is there any hope of redemption (or of using phenibut responsible ever again?)

To answer the first part of the first question, I'd say compared to the only other drugs in its class (GABA-B agonists) that I've tried, being GHB/GBL/BDO, it's rather tame in its addictive qualities, in most ways. Basically, I've quit GHB, GBL, BDO, and phenibut before, and coldd turkey to boot. And in the case of GHB and its kin, to say that the experience sucks is a monumental understatement. It is a living hell, and is among the most frightening, disturbing, humbling, and shattering experiences I've ever had. It actually took over six months for the intermittent panic attacks to subside, though they still haunted me for a year or so in total.

Also, my sleep architecture was completely disrupted--possibly permanently, though acutely for over five years--following the two and a half years that I took GHB (et, al) on a multiple-times-dailym basis. The withdrawal from GHB was approximately fifteen years ago, and I have since read that it can be clinically as difficult and as severe as benzodiazepine and alcohol withdrawal combined, while exhibiting characteristics of both. Anyway, I didn't go to the hospital, but I could have been easily diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at that time, and I have no history of mental illness or depression before (or even since) that withdrawal. (I suspect at least part of it has to do with the complex and secondary actions of GHB on dopamine metabolism, resulting in the "dopamine rebound" effect following GHB's metabolism in the body in the short term, and toxic tsunami of terror and cardiac stress from a surfeit of dopamine during multi-year withdrawal episodes).

Alright, so WTF does my jeremiad about GHB addiction have to do with tapering from phenibut? It actually sets the stage for what I have experienced with phenibut over the past nine years of fairly consistent use.

I first ordered phenibut from an online supplement provider in the spring of 2006, and I read all of the limited information I could find on it, noting its already identified "habit-forming" potential in said literature. So, once I got my stuff in the mail, I started with a 6-700mg dose, waited a couple of hours, and noticed a subtle but definite glow, so I added a bit more in subsequent experiments. At any rate, to make a summer-long story a bit shorter, I experimented with it heavily, and fairly soon feel into a daily pattern of use, with rapidly escalating tolerance. I should mention that I was fully aware of this process, and just decided to roll with it to see where it'd take me.

Where it took me eventually, by September of 2006 (and I'd started in May) was to using 6-7 grams a day in divided doses to get similar effects to what I had from a gram or so initially. This was the point where I put my foot down and decided to quit--thereby following through on the plan I'd had all along--and did so cold turkey. So, suffice it to say that it sucked. Pretty bad, actually, and similar to--but an order of magnitude less sucky than--GHB & co. Basically, ferocious insomnia and fairly acute, cyclic anxiety attacks and grief. But really that was about it. And it was over in less than a week. So yeah, addictive, but it's no GHB I can tell you that much!

Also, I've gone back to using phenibut on a number of occasions--often daily for years at a time. But I've never had to deal with withdrawal from it again. At least, not in the same way, and this has everything to do with some lessons I learned from GHB withdrawal and phenibut withdrawal along the way. For one, sure, withdrawal sucks, but it's actually not even that big of a deal when it comes down to it, and it's a very finite process. For me personally, whenever I've become addicted to substances, the regular process of daily self-loathing and critique (not to mention all the other quotidian malaise and stress that goes along with it) I experience is far, far more uncomfortable and frightening to me than that with which I'm faced with during acute withdrawal from drugs. So, essentially, what I'm saying is that I tend to psych myself out about withdrawal being "so fucking burly" and it then it really isn't usually that bad in the actual going through it.

For two, I've learned not to go cold turkey--or that I don't have to do it to myself that way, if I just plan careful and act accordingly. it. Nonetheless, there is something really good and empowering about knowing that one can just stop taking something that is physically and mentally addictive, and live to tell the tale a fortnight later! So, yeah tapering down can be good. But the reason I say "can be good" is because I think tapering can be quite delusory too. And it doesn't work very well for me if I taper too slowly. I'd say that if it takes longer than ten days to two weeks to taper down (maybe three weeks, tops, depending), then it's not really worth it, especially because you probably won't end up stopping if it does. So. Say I was taking 1 tsp. of the powder that I have now (approximately 3000mg per tsp) every day, in three divided doses of 1000mg, then I'd immediately cut it down to 2000mg per day in divided doses for 3 days, then I'd cut it it to 1500mg for 3 more days, then 1000 mg for 3 days, 750 for 3 , and then, finally, to 375mg. for 3 days. Then I would stop altogether.

At at any rate, every time I've followed this protocol I have felt almost no acute withdrawal effects when I stop. Especially if I use kava. And kava is the only thing I used to help me post-GHB. It's a life-saver! Strange too, because it doesn't actually stop the withdrawal effects, but softens them just enough to make them manageable. And this brings me to the final main thing I've learned from these drugs and their withdrawal effects, which is that I believe that they are part and parcel of the primary effects of GABA drugs. By which I mean that emotions are meant to be felt--actually felt for what they are--and not glossed over as unimportant in an otherwise euphoric, scintillating, and coruscant bubble of GABA agonism.

Besides which, I can tell you from experience, those glossed over unpleasant emotions (most of which are simply quotidian emotions, irritations, and anxieties anyway) don't go away. (There is a bank account waiting inside each of us, filled with those emotions we've tried to push away--but the longer we push it away, the more it continues gaining interest.) These emotions will all demand their right to be felt and acknowledged once withdrawal sets in. They need to be felt--often with copious tears, deep-seated fear, and profuse grief--before healing can happen. So, think twice before you try and repress these feelings altogether; they might be trying to tell you something.

Oh, and one last thing: phenibut works great for me to take regularly--as in daily--for years at a time, and without increasing my dose. Essentially, the effect is diminished from originally, but as long as I maintain the same dose without increasing it, it always establishes a baseline level of excellence. If I take .75 to 1 gram daily, it reaches and remains at a baseline plateau of pleasantness and efficacy after a few days of consecutive use. And it relieves fatigue, acts as an antidepressant, has mild nootropic-like effects, helps me to fall asleep rapidly and completely, and has nice, subtle prosexual effects.

All in all, a good and useful drug that requires excercising a bit self-discipline, learning, and moderation to get the most out of it. Hope my rambling scrawl above is helpful!