• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Triprolidine, how superior is it to say diphenhydramine, I'm speaking of medicinal effects not getting delirious

THE_REAL_OBLIVION

Bluelight Crew
I have this mucus and saliva problem and my doctor said I had to see him and calling in was not enough because, after spending over 200 dollars in 5 months in Entex LA (pseudoephedrine 60mg/Guaifenesin 800mg released over 12 hours with either Atarax (got a script for the 50mg red gels, they work great, but not when you take em all the time, so I alternate with cheap generic benadryl 50mg and if I have to visit anyone in a woodsy area, my allergy to birch will bother me so much, they will sell me Histantil (promethazine) 50mg tablets OTC because my dad didn't know I was allergic to birch when he built his new house, before the divorce when I was just about to be major, we lived in the middle of the medium size city I'm at (200k people), so that birch allergy rarely bothered me....until I moved to a woodsy area of town, better area of town one could say by myself, I didn't know I was allergic to it either.

So anyways, we used to have that same medication you had on your shelves in the US with triprolidine and pseudoephedrine.

My doctor said to come back next week when I have my physical and he would write me a script for a syrup named Cotridin Expectorant, which costs 1/4 of all those aisles pills in 5 months or so for 20oz, I would be set for a good while :

CODEINE PHOSPHATE10 MG / 5 ML
GUAIFENESIN100 MG / 5 ML
PSEUDOEPHEDRINE HYDROCHLORIDE30 MG / 5 ML
TRIPROLIDINE HYDROCHLORIDE2 MG / 5 ML

Are the ingredients. I've never had triprolidine, how is it, is it strong like hydroxyzine, promethazine, cyclizine or more like diphenhydramine, I won't mention doxylamine, that never did much for me. Pherinamine is great, but it's only available in a drink called Neo Citran which tastes like Mr.Clean and has 500mg of tylenol with the pseudo and pheniramine, the bottom of the cup always makes me gag, the taste of the APAP coming out.

So despite the codeine in there, I'm not looking to get high, especially considering the high levels of the other ingredients I would need to reach a respectable 200mg of codeine. I'm already prescribed Oxycodone-CR 60's at the Pain Clinic, will I need to inform them of that? They're very strict, less so than ORT, but still, monthly visits to get a no refill script of my 60x60 oxy-CR script, I guess could not tell them, also not likely to raise alarms at my pharmacy, they know I'm taking things very seriously, there's no reason to go "oh codeine with the oxycodone, bad!) When 20mg of codeine is the most I'd have per doses (2 teaspoons max).

I'm mostly interested in this Triprolidine, if they got rid of it, it's likely because it was very efficient and now it's only available here in this ONE prescription syrup, Cotridin doesn't have pseudo, only Cotridin Expectorant. Will it boost insanely the oxycodone so that I feel it (I barely do, but it keeps my pain away, all that matters). I'm so sick of this undescribed disease where I need a garbage bin to spit in next to me when i'm out of pseudo/guaifenesin tablets and atarax 50's or benadryl 50's. They took away brompherinamine, not that it was spectacular, they took away cyclizine, now that was effective, chlorpheniramine is in everything and SUCKS and Doxylamine has been removed from all products non Ny-Quil or store brand Ny-Quil syrup and pills rip offs.

Triprolidine is a pure H1 antagonist with a pretty short duration of action. I have never taken it but I have been doing quite a bit of reading on antihistamines recently. It peaks around 2hrs and has a duration of 4-6hrs (we can assume 4hrs before effects start to wane).
Diphenhydramine on the other hand doesnt just act as an H1 antagonist; antiemetic, antitussive, and SNRI effects are also present along with the anticholinergic action it brings to the table. It has a similar duration of action of 4-6hrs, but it reaches max concentrations around 1hr after administration and therefore will bring faster relief.

I suppose the triprolidine is combined with all those other drugs because it is only an H1 antagonist and needs help to fight off other symptoms such as a cough. Diphenhydramine is far superior IMO, which is why it is probably used more than triprolidine in today's otc allergy arsenal.

Well, like I said I don't really need the codeine and am already scripted hydroxyzine 50mg, which is much stronger than Benadryl for sure. I want this syrup because it has an antihistamine, and the other dries out secretions and unclogs sinuses all at once. Buying the guaifenesin/pseudo 12h tablets and the generic benadryl when i'm out of Atarax is getting costly, I won't know what's up with me until a good while in november when i'll have cameras in my nostrils and throat (ughh).

I mean, it looks like people with allergies all miss Actifed very much, which was Triprolidine/Pseudo. The codeine is there but it's negligible in my case, isn't it, the 12h 60mg oxycodone dose cancels it out.

I imagine that Actifed is much better for daytime use than a DPH/Pseudo combo. Both can be sedating but DPH is pretty strong. As far as antihistamine action goes, they are pretty equipotent.

Thanks, I'd like to see some Ki figures for old school antihistamines..we had that somewhere before.

Well, the syrup although rx only, I know I can get and I'll save a lot of money spent on Entex LA and benadryl (even if I buy the cheaper than the aisles generics, other generics that are behind the counter, one can ask for them capsules and they're much cheaper. Because of this condition I run out of hydroxyzine about a week 1/2 before I can renew it..yeah it's pretty bad, my GF is getting really effin' annoyed with my throat clearing and spitting, and when my throat is clear, the sinuses aren't, it's a real annoyance and worse during spring/summer due to my allergy to birch. Otherwise, I don't know what's causing it.

I have this mucus and saliva problem and my doctor said I had to see him and calling in was not enough because, after spending over 200 dollars in 5 months in Entex LA (pseudoephedrine 60mg/Guaifenesin 800mg released over 12 hours with either Atarax (got a script for the 50mg red gels, they work great, but not when you take em all the time, so I alternate with cheap generic benadryl 50mg and if I have to visit anyone in a woodsy area, my allergy to birch will bother me so much, they will sell me Histantil (promethazine) 50mg tablets OTC because my dad didn't know I was allergic to birch when he built his new house, before the divorce when I was just about to be major, we lived in the middle of the medium size city I'm at (200k people), so that birch allergy rarely bothered me....until I moved to a woodsy area of town, better area of town one could say by myself, I didn't know I was allergic to it either.

So anyways, we used to have that same medication you had on your shelves in the US with triprolidine and pseudoephedrine.

My doctor said to come back next week when I have my physical and he would write me a script for a syrup named Cotridin Expectorant, which costs 1/4 of all those aisles pills in 5 months or so for 20oz, I would be set for a good while :

CODEINE PHOSPHATE10 MG / 5 ML
GUAIFENESIN100 MG / 5 ML
PSEUDOEPHEDRINE HYDROCHLORIDE30 MG / 5 ML
TRIPROLIDINE HYDROCHLORIDE2 MG / 5 ML

Are the ingredients. I've never had triprolidine, how is it, is it strong like hydroxyzine, promethazine, cyclizine or more like diphenhydramine, I won't mention doxylamine, that never did much for me. Pherinamine is great, but it's only available in a drink called Neo Citran which tastes like Mr.Clean and has 500mg of tylenol with the pseudo and pheniramine, the bottom of the cup always makes me gag, the taste of the APAP coming out.

So despite the codeine in there, I'm not looking to get high, especially considering the high levels of the other ingredients I would need to reach a respectable 200mg of codeine. I'm already prescribed Oxycodone-CR 60's at the Pain Clinic, will I need to inform them of that? They're very strict, less so than ORT, but still, monthly visits to get a no refill script of my 60x60 oxy-CR script, I guess could not tell them, also not likely to raise alarms at my pharmacy, they know I'm taking things very seriously, there's no reason to go "oh codeine with the oxycodone, bad!) When 20mg of codeine is the most I'd have per doses (2 teaspoons max).

I'm mostly interested in this Triprolidine, if they got rid of it, it's likely because it was very efficient and now it's only available here in this ONE prescription syrup, Cotridin doesn't have pseudo, only Cotridin Expectorant. Will it boost insanely the oxycodone so that I feel it (I barely do, but it keeps my pain away, all that matters). I'm so sick of this undescribed disease where I need a garbage bin to spit in next to me when i'm out of pseudo/guaifenesin tablets and atarax 50's or benadryl 50's. They took away brompherinamine, not that it was spectacular, they took away cyclizine, now that was effective, chlorpheniramine is in everything and SUCKS and Doxylamine has been removed from all products non Ny-Quil or store brand Ny-Quil syrup and pills rip offs.
UK can otc <No price or sourcing discussion>.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you meant promethazine OTC, we got that in Canada too. Thing is, it's pretty damn expensive. Only brand name Histantil is available, plus promethazine isn't what I'd call sedating in a nice way, like Hydroxyzine. I know you guys still have cyclizine if that's what you're saying, that doesn't help me much, uk online pharmacies have gone strict since the blanket ban on everything over there that is not alcohol, tobacco and prescription meds. By their standards growing some Valerian is problematic now, lol, just because a lot, a lot of UK RC vendors were around and dominant until that ban in june 2017. I'd order DHC (Paramol) from a pharmacy, ultra cheap, your morphine and codeine pure linctus syrups and such, max quantity was 10 where I was getting it, now they don't ship to people outside the UK. So yeah...no pricing and speaking of active sources.

Not a doctor . Are you sure its not the anticholinergic effects which dries salvia by antagonizing mACh receptors. It seems drugs that lack this are much lessly likely for you to like.

Not a doctor . Are you sure its not the anticholinergic effects which dries salvia by antagonizing mACh receptors. It seems drugs that lack this are much lessly likely for you to like.

That is correct. The anticholinergic effects are what lead to the dryness in mucous membranes. Seroquel is a good example of this. It has strong anticholinergic effects, but little to no H1 antagonism. On the other side of the coin we have cetirizine which lacks the anticholinergic punch of 1st gen antihistamines but still has the H1 antagonism to block inflammation.

Interesting, what's the brand name for Cetirizine again? If it's in the US, it's likely in Canada too.

I'm seeing my doc tomorrow to pick up a script to then see the gatekeeper who knows less, generally, than me about medication and I expect they will say something about the codeine in the Cotridin Expectorant syrup because of my Oxycodone-CR script from the pain clinic. Likely not if it's somebody I see often, but that pharmacy has 3 other branches with the same head pharmacists, unfortunately I left my little independent small pharmacy way back in 2012 when I went on ORT because turns out not many pharmacies have the methadone program 'round here (it works with pharmacies like anything else here, not methadone clinics), I had to change from a pharmacy that was on the other side of the street to one 10 minutes away by car who's a big corporate chain. Took a while to get anybody's confidence there, certainly 4 years until they stopped treating me like a junkie despite being a perfect patient and having explained to them how I ended up at the ORT clinic, old GP retiring without warning, being left in the cold, ER's helping once and that was it. So I'm one of the rare people now who can just say "can I buy some Histantil, i'm going to the woods and my birch allergy will be killing me there" and it's an OTC med where they have to use their judgement whether to script or not, pharmacists gained a lot of prescribing power a few years ago.

That said, I also use Aerius (dexloratadine) during the day, I buy the pharmacy brand, it's okay, but it's no combo of hydroxyzine/guaifenesin/pseudo. Hopefully triprolidine doesn't disappoint me tomorrow.

I would definitely let the clinic know before getting it. With all the opiate epidemic issue going on in the States, I wouldn't risk loosing my Oxy because of some Codeine.

Could also try n-acetylcysteine for a mucolytic, though mixed evidence for some allergic cases. Urticaria/hives they often bump up the antihistamine doses (say cetirizine 20-60 mg), or even a mixed corticosteroid inhaler if you have some asthmatic elements.

If you are spending that much, will be exposed, and have specific allergy testing you might be able to swing allergy shots or specific desensitization (SLIT). Sometimes they can be worth it, if it is getting that high. I had it done for dust / mites, but my allergy testing was pretty high overall (the marks overlapped another scratch on my back, over an inch 25 mm) and I had a jacked IgE. Personally beneficial, but I was able to get the shots out of office because of working at a health office.

Could be better than risking scripts with the current drug monitoring climate.

Edit: forgot montelukast / leukotriene antagonists for alternatives.

Also kidney stones on high dose guaifenesin

Last edited:
Yep, I got the Cotridin Expectorant syrup, the pharmacy didn't blink at the tiny amount of codeine in it.

Guaifenesin and kidney stones...I didn't know that, but that would explain the kidney pain in the morning when I'm using the Entex LA regularly every 12 hours. I think I passed one that was stuck somewhere in my urethra, I literally felt something compressing in my upper leg then groin and then I had to pee real bad and I had trouble peeing for a while, but it seems that I ended up getting rid of it, after NOT taking Entex LA for a while, my pharmacy doesn't hold it and I have to order a box each time, they already got Muccinex, dunno why they won't hold it, there's pseudo too in Entex and 36 of those is cheaper than 12 Muccinex!

Thanks for the hint here. I have a feeling the triprolidine is working great! Coupled with Sinus Rinse (I don't bother with their own little mix, I just make saline but use the very useful Sinus Rinse bottle and I've been free of extra mucus when I woke up today. Thankfully, I took care of over-monitoring, they didn't tell the public on TV and such, they only told us about the "benefits" of having our medicine profile available to anybody from an adjunct nurse to every pharmacies if you use the government insurance for meds, I have to right now, working by contract, and my contracts are always shorter than the time it would take for me to get company insurance! Anyways, I took a look at the ministry of health website back then in 2012 because I had benzo scripts in 2 different pharmacies, 2 benzos at one, 1 at another, it had to be this way, they wouldn't let me have my Neurologist's prescribed Clonazepam! I would have to give up my Valium script, I stumbled on the owner of the pharmacy then, who's very helpful but also doesn't let me buy OTC promethazine, but has saved my ass when I lost my valium bottle during transportation a couple times and believed me, as I was such a non-trouble patient for somebody on 'done and then bupe and now generic oxycontin.

They had a form on there for people who did not want to be part of the "streamlining medication program", I printed it, filled it, and the reason given, was short but I wrote in "this is an affront to my privacy". They called me a couple times but I wouldn't answer and now it's too late, i'm in the "unsupervized" category forever. Being quite the anarchist, I was more pissed off by the real intrusion into what I can put in my body and that's my temple.

Lastly, I got some N-Acetylcysteine horse sized tablets here, I would take em when I would be taking tylenol over the bupe, both being known to be rough on the liver, so I was taking it in a preventative way. Still have half the bottle full, I'll give it a try. At least with the Cotridin Expectorant syrup (it's huge, I didn't know they had jar-sized hydrocodone/codeine/hydromorphone syrup (also the same brown bottles for orange juice + methadone) bottles like that, 16oz is a large quantity, but the doc said, if I prescribe this to you, I'll prescribe for a whole year. That little codeine prevents only-one renewal, I think codeine simply doesn't do that. I hurt my foot real bad one time and it was by walking through glass, I got an infection and the doc scripted me some clindomycine and first 30/300 codeine pills but then when I said, even stopping bupe for 2 days and I'm still not feeling this, he scripted me 200mg CodeineContins (largest dosage) and after 5 days of no subs, I felt em, especially if crushed, although it's not the usual codeine phosphate in there, it's stranger, 2 different codeine salts/combination (physical state) together, none are phosphate, but I did get 3 months of renewals that I likely didn't need, my doc scripts things for as long as possible lol, once I needed a muscle relaxant, my back was having strange painful spasms, goddamn IT jobs and sitting is killing us...so I leave with the Flexeril script, 12 renewals, heh.

Useful reply checktest. I'll try the N-acetyl-cysteine with the Cotridin Expectorant, it's got less guaifenesine in it per dose than Entex LA, but it's the only anti-mucosities med that's in the aisles sold for that purpose ;|