View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping on antipsychotics

Strainmunter

Greenlighter
Hello, Just made an account on here after lurking for many years...

I have bipolar disorder and ADHD I take 100mg sertraline, 5mg of aripiprazole and 20mg dexamfetamine (4 - 5 times a day). I was diagnosed two years ago.

SWIM tried taking mushrooms a while back and while I got a lovely 10min body rush the switch didn't flip at all despite taking a truly heroic dose... fast forward to last weekend when SWIM had the chance to smoke DMT for the first time, not really expecting much after the mushrooms incident SWIM took one mighty chong on the pipe and broke through in grand style, peaking while still inhaling! An amazing, profound, terrifying and beautiful 15 mins or so passed until they arrived back and spent 10mins enjoying some visuals until they too faded away leaving SWIM feeling clear, centered and generally awesome for the next few days :)

Can any of the wise souls on here advise me on why the DMT worked but the shrooms didn't? thinking to try some LSD and see how that goes but not sure if the anti-psychs will block it from working...

Hey there, welcome, glad you finally joined, I hope you stick around. :)

Antipsychotics block the effects of psychedelics, in fact they are given to people having bad trips if they were to go to the hospital, to make the trip stop. You'll have a hard time really getting a good trip on them, unfrotunately. As to why DMT worked where mushrooms didn't, my guess would be that DMT is just so powerful, and such a sudden flood, that it was able to overwhelm the antipsychotic and some of it was actually able to bind to your receptors.

By the way, I know some forums encourage or require the SWIM thing, but here we don't allow it because it makes posts really annoying to read and it doesn't in fact do anything at all to protect you.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah I completely agree re the SWIM thing, sorry I wasn't sure.

I must admit, I was very surprised that it worked and it seemed to be a very full-on experience. I wonder now if my meds did mitigate the effects in any way but I'm not sure I can imagine a more intense psychedelic experience than that and I have 30+ years experience to call on, lol.

I'm thinking DMT is a binary type of thing, in that once the switch is flipped you're fully there so to speak...

I am really sad to discover that my meds preclude me from enjoying a lot of the things I previously enjoyed in life, I miss the occasional MDMA love in and I was particularly pissed off when the mushrooms didn't work :( my bipolar condition is quite mild (I didn't know I had it or ADHD until I was 42!) so I'm thinking I might wean myself off the SSRI as I no longer need them and then I can take a 2 week break from the other meds once or twice a year to enjoy a nice psychedelic reset.

Also, just wanted to say thanks to you and the others on here that have helped educate and guide my substance exploration over the years. Massively appreciated :)

I have too much experience with this. Tripping on antipsychotics, especially on a strong injection, is one the worst experiences you could ever have in your life.

Cancel plans for that LSD trip as well. You'll get all the physical effects, but none of the visuals.

However, if you use certain plant based psychedelics, like ergine, you get the stimulant effect but not the psychedelic ones.

And for acid, you'll have a shitty comedown while on antipsychotics.

I have too much experience with this. Tripping on antipsychotics, especially on a strong injection, is one the worst experiences you could ever have in your life.

Cancel plans for that LSD trip as well. You'll get all the physical effects, but none of the visuals.

However, if you use certain plant based psychedelics, like ergine, you get the stimulant effect but not the psychedelic ones.

And for acid, you'll have a shitty comedown while on antipsychotics.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking to start with a very small dose if I did to test the waters... tbh I don't really feel the need after the DMT anyway I'm still feeling pretty zen from that :)

I am curious as to why the DMT worked tho...

Abilify is actually one of the less guilty culprits when it comes to APs cancelling trips. You only have to be off abilify for a few days to be able to trip.
Sertraline is a 5HT inhibitor and abilify being a classic antagonist of the D2 receptor

DMT works at NMDA receptors (and we're not even sure how, or what other receptors), so theoretically, it should not be affected by any of your other drugs.

And speaking based on this premise, DXM would work as well.

Wow, i'm glad you posted this thread. I'm on Vraylar, and i wanted to trip after probation.. i guess that cancels my plans.

Anyone else on V?

Abilify is actually one of the less guilty culprits when it comes to APs cancelling trips. You only have to be off abilify for a few days to be able to trip.
Sertraline is a 5HT inhibitor and abilify being a classic antagonist of the D2 receptor

DMT works at NMDA receptors (and we're not even sure how, or what other receptors), so theoretically, it should not be affected by any of your other drugs.

Great info, thank you! I have to say I'm very glad that DMT works for me as I thought that world was closed to me now.

I was also concerned, this might sound a bit silly, that my AP would block DMT and if I was to suddenly die I might not experience the DMT bit and my death might be really horrible and dry, lol but now I know it works its put my mind at rest haha.

Yeah, dying on AP sounds like it'll be a shitty death, tbh, and that's not something I wanted to learn today.

FYI, the DMT flood upon death thing is not scientific fact and no evidence has ever been found to suggest that it's true. It was a theory based on a hunch, rather than evidence, by Strassman, who made sure to stress that it was just an idea. It is true that DMT is a neurotransmitter and is present in trace amounts in the human brain and clearly serves some function, but there is no evidence to suggest it's released upon death. And there are other drugs that are neurotransmitters and present in trace amounts, like GHB for instance. Honestly people that die and return don't report seeing fractals and entities, their reports sound quite different from DMT. basically the DMT released on death (and I often hear during birth too, and I've also heard during meditation, and during orgasms, and all sorts of other things) is just about the most widely spread and believed hippie-style drug myth there is. :)

Wouldn't the dexamphetamine and the aripiprazole just negate eachother? They literally do the exact opposite. Dex is basically a pro-psychotic.

It was found to be released by the pineal gland of some rats upon death, I think

But yes, meditation visions are way different from DMT visions

Sometimes you can merge meditation visions with psychedelics, but it takes skill

FYI, the DMT flood upon death thing is not scientific fact and no evidence has ever been found to suggest that it's true. It was a theory based on a hunch, rather than evidence, by Strassman, who made sure to stress that it was just an idea. It is true that DMT is a neurotransmitter and is present in trace amounts in the human brain and clearly serves some function, but there is no evidence to suggest it's released upon death. And there are other drugs that are neurotransmitters and present in trace amounts, like GHB for instance. Honestly people that die and return don't report seeing fractals and entities, their reports sound quite different from DMT. basically the DMT released on death (and I often hear during birth too, and I've also heard during meditation, and during orgasms, and all sorts of other things) is just about the most widely spread and believed hippie-style drug myth there is. :)

Good to know, I did say my fears may be a bit silly :) weirdly enough I had a near death experience with drowning when I was a teenager and it was nothing like DMT tbh...

It was very calm and pleasant, lots of lights etc but totally different from DMT in my experience.

Wouldn't the dexamphetamine and the aripiprazole just negate eachother? They literally do the exact opposite. Dex is basically a pro-psychotic.

The dexamfetamine mitigates some of the ADHD symptoms and the aripiprazole stops the dex from making me manic. It’s quite a common script for comorbid diagnosis with bipolar & ADHD in the UK.

The dexamfetamine mitigates some of the ADHD symptoms and the aripiprazole stops the dex from making me manic. It’s quite a common script for comorbid diagnosis with bipolar & ADHD in the UK.

I had no idea you could even get dexamfetamine in the UK. I thought with ADHD you got Atomoxetine and if that didn't work methylphenidate.
Dex is one of my favourite stimulants, you lucky bastard ;)

I had no idea you could even get dexamfetamine in the UK. I thought with ADHD you got Atomoxetine and if that didn't work methylphenidate.
Dex is one of my favourite stimulants, you lucky bastard ;)

Haha, yeah I’m happy to have them on script :)

The generally try methylphenidate first but it didn’t agree with me so the put me on the dex as an alternative.

You're wrong.

Sertraline is a SSRI and it inhibits the serotonin transporter so more serotonin is left in the synapse. Raises serotonin levels in your brain.
Abilify (aripiprazole) inhibits 5-HT2a and different dopamine receptors including D2 but being partial agonist so it stabilizes it more than inhibits. Also works on 5-HT1a which raises serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline.
DMT works on many receptor including 5-HT, dopamine and sigma receptors. Many of it's actions are unknown so it could very well inhibit NMDA receptors because it dissociates you that hard. You're maybe right.

You're wrong.

Sertraline is a SSRI and it inhibits the serotonin transporter so more serotonin is left in the synapse. Raises serotonin levels in your brain.
Abilify (aripiprazole) inhibits 5-HT2a and different dopamine receptors including D2 but being partial agonist so it stabilizes it more than inhibits. Also works on 5-HT1a which raises serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline.
DMT works on many receptor including 5-HT, dopamine and sigma receptors. Many of it's actions are unknown so it could very well inhibit NMDA receptors because it dissociates you that hard. You're maybe right.

Indeed, @OP, I apologize for the misinformation

Edit: Abilify "stabilizes" but also greatly diminishes dopaminergic activity