• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tripped really hard for few days after taking Tryptophan

Terry33

Greenlighter
Hi,
One week ago I purchased tryptophan at local body shop. So first day I just took 500mg before sleep for testing and day after I could see immediate results:

-Better sleep,
-Increased ability to understand language,
-I could organized my tasks and life pretty well, I cleaned my room, and started to figure out business plan for my future company.

I should also mention that i was drinking around 20ml GBL per day for past two weeks.

Next day I took 1000mg before sleep and actually day after was the best day of my life. My business plan got clear, my thoughts werent focused on myself anymore but on other people, I figured how to help people around me and understood hapiness is not having more money and better car and better apartment but leaving world better place after my death.

Same for next day, 1000mg before sleep and day after was even better, my thoughts have never been so clear, I started to understood my body, quit smoking and started eating well and also rejected alocohol. Talking to people was amazing, everyone was pretty surprised about my intelligence and ability to connect the dots. And I could make everyone happy just by talking to them, even really moody person. I also took some reasoning and concentration tests and scored 10/10 or 9/10 in most of them.

Here's where it got scary: I started to think where is the catch and i figured out there must be considering experience like that could not be given for free.

When I went to work, I got bad trip. My boss started yelling at one of my lady coworkers because she forgot to prepare some important documents for him. I could not complete any task and started to avoid people. I have never felt so bad. I was pretty fucked, got terrible anxiety. Still feeling not really good but its getting better.

Anyone had experience like that? Do you think I will be ok?

I have read that tryptophan might be converted into DMT when eating during the day and thats what I did.

Thanks!

Hi,
I should also mention that i was drinking around 20ml GBL per day for past two weeks.

I guess you stopped the GBL without tapering down before the occurence? If so then that is the reason: GBL is very addictive and the withdrawl/rebound symptoms include anxiety & paranoia,"feeling bad" like restlessness heartracing, insomnia etc.

GBL-withdrawl can be described as a bad trip, so yeah, nothing to do with the Tryptophan which probably helped you for sleep and so on.

Lesson: Don't get seriously addicted to GBL/GHB. It can be very damn hardcore.

I know its addictive and I know it's widthdrawal symptoms. Acually after experience with tryptophan GBL stopped working on me which is weird as well. I'm just drinking less and less daily to prevent symptoms like increased heart rate.

Then why are you suggesting you tripped of the Tryptophan if you know they are WD-symptoms? :D
Good that you are tapering down. Meds like Gabapentin or Lyrica and Baclofen are helpful but I guess not needed after only 2 weeks of usage.

Welcome to Bluelight by the way.

Because I started tapering down GBL after bad part of Tryptophan trip, good part was definitely psychodellic like experience. I'm just trying to figure out why tryptophan worked that way on me. And bad trip was much worse than GBL widthdrawal. It was like losing my sanity. Do you think GBL has anything do do with that? I felt way too good just first day after a taking 500mg of tryptophan and bad part actually happened after i drank few beers.

And by the way one more symptom: I am not hungry at all so i guess there is something wrong with my serotonine level.

Last edited:
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid and no psychedelic. While it can cause vivid dreams when taken before bed, the symptoms you described are all attributed to the GBL, be it withdrawl or the actual recreational use of it.

Do you take any other meds, especially serotonergics? It could also be an interaction between GBL and the Tryptophan but I think thats unlikely.
This "losing my mind" feeling is very common with GBL users. GBL is without much doubt the cause of your problem, not Tryptophan :)

€: No appetite is also usual for GBL users.

Last edited:
No, I'm not taking other meds. I know what losing my mind while gbl withdrawal means :) However I was still on GBL when i started to loose my mind due to Tryptophan. Maybe there is some other reason. I'm just wondering where that psychodellic trip came from.

I'm just really worried that my brain is damaged permanently.

Last edited: