• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Trazodone-Did I just cause permanent damage to my penis?

nancy145

Bluelighter
First off, I'm a guy named Joe. Nancy145 was just a random username i thought of. Anyway, I got really upset last night and wanted to fall asleep fast so I'm not just sitting there in bed thinking what I'm upset about for 30 minutes, so I took some trazodone. My doctor prescribed it to me a while ago and said I can try trazodone and lorazepam and see which one works better. I ended up with lorazepam, so i just had a bunch of leftover trazodone. my doctor said to take 1-4 pills (idk how many mg are in each) back when he gave it to me. I've never taken 4 before until last night. I was really drunk and took my prescribed dose of lorazepam (2mg), so I don't remember if this happened last night, but when i woke up I had a really hard erection (sorry, couldn't think of a better adjective to use there). I've been awake for an hour and it's still there. I'm worried that maybe it started last night and I've had it all night, which would be about 10 hours. My doctor said if i have an erection that lasts over 4 hours when i take it I need to go to the hospital because it can cause permanent penis damage. I'm about to go take 15 mg of citalopram (celexa) to try and see if that fixes it, and if it doesn't i guess I'll just have to go to the hospital and explain it :/ Does anyone know if I really did actually cause permanent damage to me penis, and if so what did it do? my doctor didn't say anything more specific than "damage".

EDIT: My erection went away, I'm 99% sure it was the citalopram (I ended up taking 35 mg). I don't wanna see a doctor about it because I'm 16 and my parents don't know I'm into pills so I'd have to tell them what happened. If I notice any issues that don't go away within a month or so I'll probably go see a doctor about it, but as far as I know I did everything they could've done by taking the citalopram. Just BTW, if anyone doesn't know this, citalopram causes erectile disfunction, which is why I took it.

EDIT 2: Welp, i think my penis shrank by a little less than an inch, and it's very difficult to get an erection and takes a long time to orgasm. I'm also a lot less sensitive. Is there any possible way I could eventually fix this?

Last edited:
It usually does resolve itself but you can cause erectile issues, structural damage, and in rare cases of pretty extreme ischemia, gangrene. Its your penis man. Go get it checked.

^This

And for the sake of harm reduction, stop doing drugs, you are only 16 !
And don't combine trazodone, alcohol, benzos and citalopram, combining SSRIs can kill you (serotonin syndrome) + combinig CNS depressants (alcohol, benzos, trazodone) can kill you too (respiratory depression etc.) don't do it.
Plus you are doing irreversible damage/risking addiction if you start abusing Gabaergics this young

as far as I know, Trazodone can cause priapism, and one should seek medical attention if the penis doesn't get soft again after a few hours. apparantly, your erection went away, but if it happens again, be careful if it lasts for too long.

edit: @kleinerkiffer: to my knowledge, the SSRI properties of trazodone are weak compared to regular SSRI antidepressants, and it is thought that a lot of it's effects are due to the 5HT2-A antagonism (and other mechanisms). but of course you are right that one should be cautious combinig drugs/medication. that being said, I was on trazodone for about 3 years and I never had any complications combining it with alcohol or benzos. I only fell asleep very quickly when having taken my dose in the evening while being drunk/on benzos. it is also not really a CNS depressant, as far as I know.

I also know of a guy who is prescribed trazodone and escitalopram at the same time and doesn't experience negative effects from it.

Last edited:
Go see a doctor and don't drink and take pills. If you can't quit alcohol or drugs on your own get help. Good luck, and stay safe.

edit: @kleinerkiffer: to my knowledge, the SSRI properties of trazodone are weak compared to regular SSRI antidepressants, and it is thought that a lot of it's effects are due to the 5HT2-A antagonism (and other mechanisms). but of course you are right that one should be cautious combinig drugs/medication. that being said, I was on trazodone for about 3 years and I never had any complications combining it with alcohol or benzos. I only fell asleep very quickly when having taken my dose in the evening while being drunk/on benzos. it is also not really a CNS depressant, as far as I know.

Yeah, you're right, I might have overreacted, but my point was mixing drugs/meds is almost never a good idea and OP is still very young and shouldn't do so many drugs at once