• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Travelling Overseas -- No Medication

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I'm writing this for a friend. She is planning on going to France in October, but there is a stop at Abu Dhabi. The things is, my friend is addicted to oxycodone and diazepam. It turns out that these drugs are PROHIBITED in this country ... even with a prescription and authority in the form of a letter from her doctor. She is feeling depressed now because there seems to be no way to circumvent this. The flight has been booked and there is no refund.

Her habit is not huge: 10mg of diazepam per day and 1 or 2 Percocets a day. Nevertheless, she panics when she knows she doesn't have Valium on hand. What can she do? Are there non-benzo/opiate drugs that would alleviate the problem?

Thanks for your input, guys.

If that's the extent of her habit, that can be discontinued pretty easily with minimal discomfort. I wouldn't try to source drugs or find anything to "help" her aside from obvious non-narcotics like ibuprofen and caffiene maybe.

There are no effective natural substitutes for benzos, and something tells me bringing grey area reserach chemicals across customs min the Mideast is not something I would want to chance. There's stuff like poppyseed tea and Immodium for the opioids, but ~10mg of oxy a day shouldn't need that at all.

If she's on a fixed itinerary she can always have someone arrange to send her Rx to tne next country she'd be staying in/passing through. I don't see why that wouldn't be an option/

If that's the extent of her habit, that can be discontinued pretty easily with minimal discomfort. I wouldn't try to source drugs or find anything to "help" her aside from obvious non-narcotics like ibuprofen and caffiene maybe.

There are no effective natural substitutes for benzos, and something tells me bringing grey area reserach chemicals across customs min the Mideast is not something I would want to chance. There's stuff like poppyseed tea and Immodium for the opioids, but ~10mg of oxy a day shouldn't need that at all.

If she's on a fixed itinerary she can always have someone arrange to send her Rx to tne next country she'd be staying in/passing through. I don't see why that wouldn't be an option/
Thank you for your reply. I will relay this message to her, Seiko. She contacted the United Arab consulate here and they said under no condition can she have Benzos or Opiates on her person in Abu Dhabi. Will Immodium help with the withdrawal? She states she feels sick if she doesn't oxy every day. As for the Valium, well ... she's been taking it for 15 years now (prescribed by a physician).

The bold. How do you mean? She will only be staying in Abu Dhabi for a few hours till her next departure to a country that's not so draconian when it comes to medication.

The bold. How do you mean? She will only be staying in Abu Dhabi for a few hours till her next departure to a country that's not so draconian when it comes to medication.

You mean a layover? Then you have nothing to worry about they can not go through your luggage in an airport situation. Well I mean they can, but not like that. When you board your flight you baggage is moved from the belly of the plane to the next plane. And to my knowledge they do not do a security check inside an airport again. I think this is a big misunderstanding. As long as she doesn't leave the gate area, she should be fine. If she plans on leaving the airport, well then that is just stupid because she is setting herself up for it to be impossible to bring her medication with her just to be in Abu Dhabi for a couple freaking hours. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the last time I went to the middle east I was carrying an M-4 assault rifle. Soooo... can't really help there lol. But I traveled to china, and once they check you through security at your point of exiting the country, they wont check your luggage again until you hit customs in the country of your arrival, ex: France, not your layover, Abu Dhabi.

Also, nice to meet someone else from Gainesville! Especially someone who has been registered since 2009.

^that's what I've experienced. International terminals are like Switzerland, once you're in you're ok. I'd rather have the M4 though hahaha.

Perhaps she could mail them to France, all essential paperwork included in the package.

I'd be cautious it only takes one jobsworth having a bad day and your life could be in ruins. Even though the chances of being pulled up are miniscule you are still technically breaking the law and if you are going to break the law you don't want to be doing it in a backward country like Abu Dhabi.

How do you mean?

I mean what I say: if she's booked a hotel room on her next stop perhaps she can send the drugs there viua postal mail rather than carrying them on her person?

I mean what I say: if she's booked a hotel room on her next stop perhaps she can send the drugs there viua postal mail rather than carrying them on her person?

Sekio you're going over their heads. OP, what sek means is that your friend has one option: she must either have an international crime syndicate like a cartel help her enter the country with her bottle in her pocket via a tunnel of some sort. Or use the mail to send herself some pills. And Sek bro, Im sorry I disagree with all of this bro I just banged some ambien and am feeling loopy.

OP, I disagree. A trip to abu Dhabi, comin off of benzos and oxy... I don't care the dose. I'd never take that trip. U couldn't pay me to get on that plane.

Sekio you're going over their heads. OP, what sek means is that your friend has one option: she must either have an international crime syndicate like a cartel help her enter the country with her bottle in her pocket via a tunnel of some sort. Or use the mail to send herself some pills. And Sek bro, Im sorry I disagree with all of this bro I just banged some ambien and am feeling loopy.

OP, I disagree. A trip to abu Dhabi, comin off of benzos and oxy... I don't care the dose. I'd never take that trip. U couldn't pay me to get on that plane.

Agreed, if I were in her situation I personally would not travel to that country or risk taking meds I was prescribed to that country, or I would get sober before traveling.

Last edited:
^^ Right the risk may seem small, but the consequences if that small chance occurred are potentially debilitating, deadly or at least extremely uncomfortable for many, many years. They do not fuck around in many "Islamic" nations.

Can you ask for a reroute with a drs note (assuming these are prescribed), to your airline for a different route? These issues need to be addressed b/f buying a ticket. The US Dept. Of State has a website for each country of destination. Check those b/f buying tickets. Check the US consular website of the layover and destination countries as well.

I agree, your luggage is likely on a fast transfer, but tagged as from the US who knows... Protocol there could be very different. Is your layover very short or like five - twenty hours? That makes a huge difference in possibilities.

I'd taper, get the pain over. Watch the benzos, don't ct, taper. You should be fine. Enjoy your trip. Don't take prohibited substances to foreign nations, if you're American the US gov't will do very little to help beyond getting you an attorney. The US has hundreds, maybe thousands of citizens in foreign jails and prisons for drug offenses. The government couldn't give a shit about your American rights (if you've ignored the warnings and knew you did something illegal, in this case they expect you to know, ignorance won't help) when you travel overseas. Not their jurisdiction, nor yours.

Yes but this is different she is not entering the country through customs, she is just laying over. This is all totally legal as long as she does not leave the intentional terminal and the drugs are legal in spain. And hell aren't you supposed to be able to get stuff really easy OTC in Spain?

I believe Mad Dash is correct ,haven't any of you watched that shitty Tom Hanks film,lol! Anyway I still wouldn't fuck around those backwards countries fly by their own rules. I'd bring a couple pills on board the plane with me and pop them when I was landing in the country and do as others have said an have the rest sent to where I'm gonna be in France, express.

Seikos idea is pretty straightforward, the day your leaving mail the pills(w/perscription info etc.) to your hotel room in France. U may have to wait a day or 2 so bring 1-2 pills and pop them before reaching Abu Dhabi. Your pills will go straight to the hotel, no crazy Saudi shit... U may have to go 1 day without meds, no biggie.