Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Traumatised soldiers to be given ecstasy

The_Great_Refusal

Bluelighter
UNITED STATES: Traumatised soldiers to be given ecstasy

The US Food and Drug Administration has approved a trial involving US soldiers who have served in Iraq, to test if MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy, can relieve the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. According to the US centre for PTSD, around 30% of combat veterans will develop PTSD, but the US government has allocated just $5 million to treat it among Iraq veterans. PTSD causes emotional disconnectness, and a state of nervous anxiety and is associated with suicide, domestic violence and abuse. In the trial, soldiers take the equivalent of an ecstasy tablet at the start of an eight-hour therapy sessions during which music will be played. The study’s leading psychiatrist, Michael Mithoefer, said the drug means that “people are able to connect more deeply on an emotional level”.

From Green Left Weekly, February 23, 2005

If howard allowed this here it would be all over the news, but it didnt make many headlines in the usa....

that is one very fuking big step in the right direction. legalised MDMA.. i dont know about u guys but its not that hard to get ahold of pharmies. im lookin forward to the day when my 10pack comes in a box from my friend at the pharmacy

I think that the recreational use of ecstasy has unfortunately prevented this from happening ten years ago, i feel for all the people that are really messed up and could have been helped over that past 15-20 years.... but such is life

drugfuked said:
that is one very fuking big step in the right direction. legalised MDMA.. i dont know about u guys but its not that hard to get ahold of pharmies. im lookin forward to the day when my 10pack comes in a box from my friend at the pharmacy

To quote Martin Luther-King

"I have a dream"

But i agree with T_G_R, i think the attached stigmatism to MDMA will prevent this from coming to any useful fruition.

no way.. they wouldnt just be handing over mdma sayin yeh give this shit a whirl with our war veterans and tell us how it goes.

it will be followed closely and a lot of research will come from it. when they start to see some of the TRUE positives that mdma carries there will finally be some solid ground to stand on for the people trying for legalisation

medicinal use!! woo woo

Fuck giving it to the troops afterwards ... give it to the frikken politicians NOW and there'd be no war to be traumatised over 8)

I remember they did a trial like this on rape victims in europe somewhere... anyone know of what came out of that?

...Harvard is also testing it on dying cancer victims to cope with their death. If the small trial is successfull, it will expand to a very large trial.

It will also be interesting to see, if one day mdma is proven to save lives, will the media report every single event (like in the rare event of mdma induced death) and play it up as a major news story? i doubt it.

The_Great_Refusal said:
I think that the recreational use of ecstasy has unfortunately prevented this from happening ten years ago, i feel for all the people that are really messed up and could have been helped over that past 15-20 years.... but such is life
Very interesting point you have brought up there! It's very difficult to do any novel research with illicit drugs, such are the federal controls on narcotics.

BigTrancer :)

The_Great_Refusal said:
I remember they did a trial like this on rape victims in europe somewhere... anyone know of what came out of that?

If you are bored at all try reading the book E is for Ecstasy available for free online here: www.ecstasy.org - go to the books section.

There is info. on plenty of different trials within it.

eccitude said:
Fuck giving it to the troops afterwards ... give it to the frikken politicians NOW and there'd be no war to be traumatised over 8)

"Imagine the worlds leaders on pills then imagine the morning after"
-The Streets, Weak Become Heroes

I think this is a fantastic step in the right direction, hopefully the results of this trial will turn some heads.

I remember watching this documentry about MDMA and this lady had a traumatic experience with rape and I think even torture if my memory serves, which disabled her from leading a normal life, then her doctor or psychiatrist suggested she try MDMA (before it was illegal) and she was able to come to proper terms with her experience. If anybody is interested the documentry can be found on http://www.pot-tv.com I cant remember the name of it but look in the enactogens section and you'll find it.

JoeBloggs: could you perhaps be refering to Ecstasy Rising?

ABC Special, Ecstasy Rising

Peter Jennings, the reporter who produced and narrated this, was arrested fairly recently for posession of a fair amount of mdma tablets in a rave.

yer i'm pretty sure that was the one. haha thats quite suprising about him getting busted