Mental Health Transitioning.

chrispche

Bluelighter
Hi all, I'm transitioning from Escitalopram 10mg to Mirtazapine 15mg. I have bipolar disorder cyclothymia. I already take Aripiprazole 30mg and Lamotrigine 200mg. With Diazepam 10mg as needed.

What can I expect from Mirtazapine? The reason for the change from Escitalopram is that after being on it for 3 years, I have become very flat and apathetic. My psychiatrist said Mirtazapine wasn't a reuptake inhibitor and is known to be less numbing to emotions in comparison to an SSRI. That's not to degrade SSRI's in any way they are useful. But, in my case it is of his opinion that Mirtazapine might not have such a dampening effect on me.

Thoughts please,

Thanks.

I only took a low dose briefly years ago and it seemed to help my mood a bit, but it gave me nightmares/night terrors so I quit taking it. Was also a bit sedating if I recall correctly although I was also taking xanax as well.

Remeron to me just helped me sleep, really didn’t have much effect on my depression.

Its good for sleep at 15-30mg so expect some sedation. I have seen studies showing it to be very effective for depression though so hopefully it works

Hi all, I'm transitioning from Escitalopram 10mg to Mirtazapine 15mg. I have bipolar disorder cyclothymia. I already take Aripiprazole 30mg and Lamotrigine 200mg. With Diazepam 10mg as needed.

What can I expect from Mirtazapine? The reason for the change from Escitalopram is that after being on it for 3 years, I have become very flat and apathetic. My psychiatrist said Mirtazapine wasn't a reuptake inhibitor and is known to be less numbing to emotions in comparison to an SSRI. That's not to degrade SSRI's in any way they are useful. But, in my case it is of his opinion that Mirtazapine might not have such a dampening effect on me.

Thoughts please,

Thanks.

I'd expect them to be right, generally speaking. It has data behind it for being effective for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, which largely consists of flattened affect and lack of higher levels of socialization, so to speak.

Remeron to me just helped me sleep, really didn’t have much effect on my depression.

I'd say it's a success in one big way as some of those sleep medications can create an awful dependence.

Its good for sleep at 15-30mg so expect some sedation. I have seen studies showing it to be very effective for depression though so hopefully it works

Yes it's an atypical antidepressant, but it is a valid one!

I'd expect them to be right, generally speaking. It has data behind it for being effective for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, which largely consists of flattened affect and lack of higher levels of socialization, so to speak.

I'm going up to Mirtazapine 30mg in a few days time. What did you mean by saying them to be right? You mean my psychiatrist? Are you agreeing with his statement about Mirtazapine not being an SSRI therefore might be beneficial and less flattening. As we all know SSRI's can do that.

On a more positive note I've been Escitalopram free for 2 weeks now. I have my sex drive back and boy is it back.

I meant that mirtazepine is much less likely to flatten emotions as opposed to SSRIs. This I concur from the fact that it is usually useful in the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, per psychiatrist statement.

Nice to have that back!