• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin transition to my prescription

day 1 again but no valium......what a loser i am....couldnt get extra hydro when i ran out so resorted to H again....money gone everything gone but got to my script at least.....so here we go

You're totally capable of pulling this off. From what it sounds like, you are not going to be confronted with a Cold Turkey withdrawal. You will most likely experience some discomfort as you transition back, but there is a big difference between a small amount of Opioids and none at all. I would advise attempting to acquire some non-Opioid comfort medications to help ease the transition. Everyone is different and has their preferences, but I consider the gold standard to be Gabapentinoids (Pregabalin/Gabapentin/Phenibut), Cannabis and Clonidine (Catapres) to be fairly essential.

Gabapentinoids for Restless Legs/Akathisia, Cannabis for appetite stimulation and Clonidine for sleep. I would work on getting these three and go from there.

I'm chronic pain Patient as well, on hydromorph contin as well, and I want to stop as well. I have pain that is truly hell at times so I can't be totally free of these meds, but I want to get it to a point where I don't take them every day and only have them on reserve for the days I'm in pain hell, because on those days I am collapsed to the ground and my will to live dwindles and narcotic medication really is a life saver.

That said, every day use sucks! You become lazy and physically dependent which I just hate!! I hate that I am married to these stupid meds and want to be free. I will be putting a plan into effect with my doctor so I can start not being so dependent on these meds :)

By the way, hydromorphone is 3-4X stronger than heroin so I am surprised to read that you're worried about heroin withdrawals, when hydromorphone is so much stronger and can taper off heroin. I have done a taper before and plan to do it again, if you have the will power it can be a pretty smooth transition and avoiding major withdrawals.

Hello everyone. I am chronic pain patient also, with several other serious medical issues. I currently use Duragesic Fentanyl patch 50mcg to control my pain, but have been prescribed virtually every narcotic on the market over many years. I have periodically had to go through withdrawal periods over the years for things like dental surgery or just to reset my tolerance. Everyone is different, but myself personally have found it easiest to basically just "cold turkey". Provided you have some good support meds and a cpl days that you can just curl up in a ball in bed, the worst of it can be over in a few days. The physical part is the easiest, the mental aspect is waaay worse. You have to go into it with a positive attitude. None of us is perfect, we all make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up anymore over it. Think about all those great things you said about love for your family. Know that you can do this. Many others here have done it. I'd be glad to have further discussions at Rocketdoggs Fentanyl patch thread for anyone else interested. You can do this!

Hydromorphoneis more potent than H, however it also wears off more quickly, so it reduces the impact.

Really hydromorphone is an awful drug in your situation, imo. Morphine(likely CR) or, better yet methadone are better options. Unfortunately getting a pain doctor to prescribe a large dose of methadone is, unlikely, to say the least(although people used to get prescribed 80 or 90mg per day for chronic pain, which would be much better and you would function normally.

More likely, if your doctor is willing to give 48mg of H-Morphone, then getting 100mg MS CONTIN BID would be completely reasonable, and again, a better option, it would be a long lasting opioid analgesic that would also stabilize you(Heroin aka diamorphine is simply a prodrug for morphine, which delivers utinti theCNS rapidly and almost all at once, instead of gradually.

Other countries have had success with CR morphine, albeit probably high doses and some also have heroin-assisted treatment; you are a pain patient, however it makes no sense that a doctor would. not switch you to a roughy equivalent dose of another opioid, again morphine and methadone are my suggestions

Though with 50mg Hydromorphone a day, you should make it, without much "agony".

Comfort meds are essential; surprisingly no one mentions antihistamines(First gen H1 antagonists, more specifically, although cetirizine is. Enter than nothing.

Hydroxyine is one of the few things that have helped me through situations, it is a potent antihistamine, and very effective anti-emetic; it also has no anticholinergic effects, so up to 100mg can be easily taken. It also has sedative-hypnotic effects, though modest compared to the hard stuff, it can still help calm you down, and actually has mild anti-anxiety effects and is actually RX'ed for anxiety(by itself it isn't effective enough to be a prescription anxiolytic, and is actually OTC Outside of the US, however it is an effective co-medication for this and multiple purposes and should always be around if possible for WD or low dose or other emergency type situations(or other legitimate illness; also if you don't take antihistamines omthat much a large dose is/can be quite relaxing; other "classical" antihistamines that are potent enough have many of the same effects, and even diphenhydramine(Benadryl) is an effective anti-emetic. It's just that hydroxyine lacks the anticholinergic side effects(unless you just took a stupid high dose) and has some unique effects others don't have, which lend it more relaxing, and even anxiolytic effects

If you can't get that, Seroquel is an option for sleep. That's about all it will do; relax you and help you to sleep if possible, though it also stimulates appetite. Note that it too is a H1 antagonist, though it also does a lot of other things at high doses

Clonidine didn't seem to much, except help with bop, however a lot of people suggest it and say it helps or it helped them, so it's worth considering, though you would need to monitor you're bp

Though really you shouldn't need much; figure out how to utilize you're HM, or, imo, have you're doc switch you to an alternate opiod(at an equivalent dose) and either way, you should adjust and be fine compared to cold turkey

Good luck

And please, AVOID LOPERAMIDE-it is poison and it isn't even supposed to be absorbed into the bloodstream(BA <5% normally) much less into you're CNS, which blocks it-please Don't there, especially with a RX

alright good night for now

They are using ER hydromorphone though Lorne. Assuming the OP takes it as prescribed, I dont think its inferior to MS Contin.

Whilst gen 1 antihistamine can make sleep much easier, don't use them if you're coming off opiates completely, they will make the RLS a lot worse. They're OK to take if you're tapering or reducing your dose though, just avoid if you're going cold turkey or are finishing a taper completely

^ That is why said Hydroxyzine; it will take care of nausea pretty well, it is relaxing, and for some it can help with anxiety(not really if you’re on the heavy stuff) and it is not anti-cholingeric for practical purposes, so the side effects you would get with say, Promethazine, which is quite popular, yet has limitations on dose, are a non-issue.

You are right though, normally can take Benadryl(have nausea a lot, and am underweight) though in WD, have to limit my dose, or eliminate it completely, which is why it sucks not having Hydroxyzine around for emergencies; even when attempting to stretch out benzos or having to take something more mild than an used to and sometimes less effective, Hydroxyzine helps a lot. We are talking about opioid wd, which have plenty of experience with, though some of the same issues pop up

Back in the day in severe opioid we would have my legs and sometimes even arms jumping if my hands were not shaking; Seroquel(not a large dose, smaller doses are more like a potent H1 antagonist/inverse agonist with some other minor effects) though basically, it is a really strong sedative, at like 25-100mgs, so have taken it, and was so drowsy/weak didn’t want to move, yet still RLS. Was even worse for someone close to me; don’t know the dose however they would actually fall asleep with legs jumping;

Gabapentin is useful for RLS

KittyCat5, yeah, insomnia is hitting me, kind of missed that part, although he is talking about crushing about the beads and maybe even plugging anyway!

For me personally, Morphine is completely superior to hydromorphone, of course can counteract side effects that bother some, however it is just such a powerful, physical opiate and psychologically works to do what it needs to do, and is excellent analgesic, it and methadone are at the top for me personally(aside from H, of course, though haven’t touched that in a long time, and aside from the almost immediate rush and corresponding relief, it is mostly a faster acting morphine, as you know)

Op seems to be in a rough state, and if the hydro wasn’t cutting it to begin with, thought a change would be at least worth considering. Though yeah, it’s unlikely even as a pain patient would get enough methadone for this type of transition, and they are seeming to want to try they’re script, however it may not be enough, and don’t just mean more opiates.

Still if they are dedicated, and take appropriate measures, and get at least a couple of the meds we have mentioned,(mostly you guys/gals) then they have enough hydromorphone to get by and eventually be comfortable, as previously said.

Not even a big fan of hydro, though would take a 48mg script if offered

Man it sucks. Trying to distract myself yet have to be careful because an very low on clonazepam so can’t get worked up, and even warm coffee has to be limited

Hope you get some rest

Ok so.....haven't touched h since new years so I'm at least a few days clean.....it was taking godlike amounts of hydromorphone to come close to stopping WD which was unsustainable with my prescription.....so basically every day I have went to work takin 1 or 2 pills in morn and 1 at night.....waking in WD and ending the work day in pretty bad WD..... don't understand I thought this would be easier.....anyway am I even tapering like this or just torturing myself? I'm so done with pain meds I wish I'd never taken to begin with and as for h.....well I never want to see it again.....will the wds eventually subside or level out? Any input on what I should do? Just stick to a smaller dose and keep being sick? I'm doing this for real....
I absolutely hate what I've become....

As for the hydro I crush the beads and snort....I have a new script I can't get filled even though the doc wrote early release on it....I'll try a different pharmacy tomorrow.....having the meds will take away my fear of having to be without them.....I can put myself into withdrawal way easier than being forced into it lol

^ you need a new imo. Snorting hydro isn't a great taper strategy

But your doing something. Idk the doses to give a better answer atm

It will end as while you're suffering your brain is adjusting to being without Heroin. I still recommend you continue insufllating (nasal spray is best) or plugging to get the most out of the hydromorphone but it's going to be up to you to find which works best as well as the most effective dosage intervals. You are making progress though, no denying that.

Yeah it's progressing for sure. And H-morphone does have such a terrible ba%...

He's saying it's taking more meds than he's RX'ed, and still having to weather it.

Some discomfort is simply excepted and the body is adjustable especially if you(anyone) are dedicated and seem to be, it's just a matter how long, and reducing the discomfort/wd involved

Quick update....I took my last dose last nite at about 11pm....I railed 24mg of hydro.....it's now 11.25am and I do not feel dopesick at all....this has never happened....on gabapentin and valium....I called mum and told her and burst into tears I just want it to be over! Tearing up even writing this am I through it have I beaten it? I suffered all week please let it be over

12pm n still nothing I took a high dose of GABA n 10mg valium bout an hour ago....still zero signs of dopesick. Just feel really really weak n shitty like I'm getting over a bad flu

2.15pm....still no signs still just feel out of it I have NEVER gone this long without opiates and I don't feel dopesick even a bit....high dose gabapentin and some valium....I have hydro here but won't touch it unless I get sick but this is alien to me I'd usually be climbing the walls by now n I just feel weak.....keep sleeping 40 mins or so wake up covered in sweat but no sickness....weird gut feeling is all

Last edited by a moderator:
2.15pm....still no signs still just feel out of it I have NEVER gone this long without opiates and I don't feel dopesick even a bit....high dose gabapentin and some valium....I have hydro here but won't touch it unless I get sick but this is alien to me I'd usually be climbing the walls by now n I just feel weak.....keep sleeping 40 mins or so wake up covered in sweat but no sickness....weird gut feeling is all

I'm a bit confused as the bad feelings you're describing are symptoms of dope sickness..sleeping short periods and waking up covered in sweat...bad gut, weakness...that is dope sickness..

But you're also saying you "don't feel dopesick even a bit"..

It's sounds like you're actually very dopesick..

Sorry, I don't understand.

Normally I'd be in agony climbing the walls by now I'm out with a friend changing a tire n I feel great. Absolutely great. Nothing since 11pm last nite it's now 4.20pm next day and I'm totally fine

• 940pm....little bit restless legs nothing major tho....I'll go a walk or quick run nothing I can't handle considering the rest of me feels amazing I seriously cannot believe this I feel like it's over.....but will see how I wake tomorrow. Thx for all the support guys really means alot I'm in a foreign country on my own completely no family here and I don't know many ppl yet....so 100 percent alone dealing with this....

11.00am next morn still nothing.....surely it's over....so happy

Guys I fucked up I was drinking and gave into the mental urge smoked bout a quarter of H I'm so ashamed I'll never do it again please tell me I havent screwed myself

I don't deserve to be alive I can't fucking believe I done that I'm Guna go on as I have been just GABA and valium.....I'm sorry and don't blame any of u if u never talk to meet again

Guys what have I done how cud I be so weak I miss my wife am in tears how cud I have done that no NO how was I so stupid