• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Transition from Methadone to Suboxone

StaffWriter

Bluelighter
Hey guys. I've been going to the methadone clinic for the past 10 months and the money has run out and I must go through the dreaded withdrawals and get back onto Suboxone. Right now, I am on 50mg of Methadone, and my highest dose was 60mg. I thought I had about two months to go but that is no longer the case (long story). I am wondering how hard will it be to switch from methadone to sub at 50mg. Some say you need to get your dose down to around 30mg, wait, approx. 72 hours and then dose the sub. Two problems here. My methadone dose is 50 mg and I am super sensitive to precip. wds from suboxone (switching from Fentanyl to suboxone has been the tough one for me). First of all I should say that I have only been going to the clinic three for four times a week now, I so I hope that this will decrease my blood levels of methadone in my system, making it easier to switch. Am I wasting my time? I already feel the sweatiness-chills deal coming on and I feel very weak just from this minor change. I would like for some folks who have had experience switching to give me some tips and some input. What do you think I should do? These slight "withdrawal" symptoms could be completely psychological, but I am not sure. Methadone is the most odd opiate I have ever done fwiw. Thanks guys.

Can the moderator please join this with the methadone megathread since I'm not getting any responses? I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

I am curious you said the reason for the switch was money based. How is going on sub going to be possible? I thought MMT was cheaper than SMT? Or are you picking some up from the street and doing yourself?

Yeah this is going to be rough. Especially if your sensitive to precipitated withdrawal. I think I would use some other short acting opioid as a cushion between the methadone and the bupe. Otherwise I think your going to have to wait around a week after your last dose of methadone to start the bupe if you want to avoid precip withdrawals for sure. Either way I don't see this being a painless transition.

I was on Suboxone before I started MMT 10 months ago and I still have 20+ strips left in my bathroom closet. So I will be doing this by myself and not under the supervision of a doctor. I suppose I should have added that. Thanks MD

The sensitivity with pwd tends to be with Fentanyl only. I've used methadone on and off in the past to get high and found it easy to transition from methadone to bupe but that's not 10 months worth of medicinal build up in my bloodstream. I suppose I should find a short acting opiate, probably some Percocet, but that shit is weak and I don't really have the money to get very many. (only $160 worth).

Good luck buddy! Unfortunatly I do not have any experience to give you but to let you know, If for SOME reason, You end up needing to get prescribed more Bup. Try subutex, its way way cheaper

Well, I'm def. going to stay on sub (either suboxone or subutex, either is fine) for a long time because I can't get sober on my own. This is as sober as it gets for me. I've been using benzos for 20+ years and Opiates for 16 years. Believe it or not, I'm not tired of them and don't really want to get "sober" because all of the anxiety will just come back and that is what got me hooked to start with. I need something for energy and sub at least does that. The problem I had with the sub the first time was my doc forcing me off early and then I couldn't stay clean, either. Subs don't help with cravings but I hope if I give it a second chance, it will be better this time. And on top of all of this, I run out of the money now 2 weeks to the day, I lost my best friend to liver cancer. I held his hand until he died. We spent every waking moment together for 8 years and now he's gone. Funny thing is, he didn't do drugs, he only smoked. 30 years of Hep. C really killed him. Doesn't even know how he got it. Bad times, everyone. But thanks for everyone's responses. If anyone else can add something, please do. Thanks
Rebecca