• The database table for Search and "New Messages" functionality is currently being rebuilt. Until it is completed, you may see empty or incomplete results for these.
  • Current Events, Politics
    & Science

Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Social Justice Transgender and gender identity discussion

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter
Havent spoken to anyone about this at all except the cat and base this strictly on episodes of Chicago Med and New Amsterdam, it is true that there is a percentage of kids who do not continue the transitioning at some point of the process and do have more affinity with original gender. I think some had to because the hormones make bones too brittle in some cases and can cause pituitary gland cancer, other side effects as well.

There was a transgender on a talk show that went from male to female with the entire operation done then went back to female.

I would guess that person was more body dysmorphic than anything, thought transgenders were adamant they are meant to be the other sex and didn't often go through adulthood chopping and changing wouldn't know though.

Its a bit hard to sort out completely before puberty and easiest to make transition before puberty. Cant do much about that.

Glad I never had to deal with anything like that, sounds like a hassle

Snafu of the Forest

Moderator: NMI, NSADD
Staff member

Japan declares LGBT "goes against preservation of our species"... I know they have low birth rates but they are one of the most densely populated countries in a world that will face overpopulation crisis in a few decades..... That's cute

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner

Kind of awesome: A new rainbow Lego set will arrive just in time for Pride Month

You’ve heard of “Everything Is Awesome,” the criminally catchy theme song of the “Lego Movie” franchise.

Now get ready for “Everyone Is Awesome,” a new, rainbow-colored Lego set introduced Wednesday by the toy company ahead of LGBTQ Pride Month. The 346-piece collection, available for purchase starting June 1, includes a different figurine for each color of Lego’s rainbow: black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, dark blue, purple, light blue, white and pink.

“Everyone is unique, and with a little more love, acceptance and understanding in the world, we can all feel more free to be our true AWESOME selves!” said Matthew Ashton, Lego’s vice president of design.
In addition to their varying hues, each of the 11 figurines has a distinct hairstyle, ranging from curly and long to short and straight. The differing appearances of the characters are meant to “celebrate the diversity” of Lego consumers, according to a press release.

Is this a good thing?

Last edited:

iridescentblack

Bluelighter
I think word association is typical, to point out, that it can be good or bad / good and bad. Dualistic perspectives should probably be avoided altogether when addressing things such as MtF and FtM transitions, even though the sentiment most likely seems hypocritical. I honestly don't think doctors are qualified to steer a person either way when they say "this could be a good thing" or "this could be bad". Most doctors probably know more about cleaning their hands than they understand the human soul. Not often do I run into doctors that don't use charm as a means to slip by your ear. I find a lot of them prefer to use humour than think deeply about anything.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
I'll assume these are asked of me, given I made the post. If not, then please disregard with the typical eye roll my posts warrant ;)

why do you care, even just enough to post about it?

Why do I care? As a lego lover, I'm both intrigued and confounded. Unless you create all those hair styles in a multitude of colors, you'll have hair sets that only match to certain colors. This isn't an product that presents 'be anything', but rather 'here is an expanded, but still limited set to work with'. That's the confounded, as to the intrigued, maybe having the purple hair atop a green body is really what someone wants. The traditionalist in me is struggling with all the helmets that are rendered useless by the hair option. None of this is facetious by the way. I loved my legos when I was a kid, and while I no longer play with them, I have cherished their generic interchangeability and non-specific rendering of 'people' (really, if you look, the majority are 'yellow' skinned, not 'white', but there has been an effort in recent decades to make 'brown'....still not 'white').

In a more socio-political response, I don't see it as pandering (though I can see the claim being made). Unlike conservative pushback that homosexuality-gender_terms-intolerant_tolerance are being shoved down our collective throats, I see this as a product that promotes 'anything is possible'. Yeah, it went rainbow with the clear indication of it's directional intent, but I see it as acknowledging 'you can be anything' and still be a part of the larger collective (lego) society. i suppose to cut this short (by me, no way!) my statement would be that I do NOT see this as a problem. I don't see it as a needed answer to anything, but can accept it as is.

Back to why I care, even just enough to post about it? I know there are a lot of non-hetero members, so I posted to see if this feels like it addresses some unspoken need for their portion of society. Does this solve anything, help future generations in any significant way? It was posted less to provoke a conservative response of outrage, and more to solicit a liberal response of 'what does this do for society?' I have many close friends, and even some family, who identify as non binry-hetero-society_defined_terms, so does this mean anything in terms of progress, or distraction, in their view? A person very close to me responded "its fine but I wouldnt buy it because so much of what is being pushed today for our portion of society is a cheap insult and doesnt deserve my money'. This, from someone self defined as bi-sexual, in a very mixed group of vari-sexual orientations and self-gender-definitions.

I dunno, do you think it's a bad thing? If so, why?

As noted, not a bad thing in my mind. An unexpected and confusing product for the lego lover in me, but a benign 'meh' from the adult me.

Perforated

Moderator: SLR, DC
Staff member

Japan declares LGBT "goes against preservation of our species"... I know they have low birth rates but they are one of the most densely populated countries in a world that will face overpopulation crisis in a few decades..... That's cute

“A single obscure Japanese lawmaker shoots his mouth off unofficially” - Japan generally pretty tolerant of sexual weirdness.

Skorpio

Bluelighter

I think it is a good thing of very low valence. It is also pandering but that doesn't make it wrong.

I feel that pride signs in people's front yard are kind of pandering, but at the same time they do make me feel more comfortable and safer when I am dressed femme and walking in those neighborhoods. The Lego set just gives the same message "queer acceptance is becoming mainstream enough to be profitable". That message makes me very mildly happy.

iridescentblack

Bluelighter
Comparing Arians to skinheads is kind of like comparing Arsenic to Roundup - respectively of course. They're both poisonous. It depends on how you apply them.

Thanks for spraying.