• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tramadol V.S. Traditional SSRI Therapy

maniquan

Bluelighter
Ok so it's been a while since I've posted on these forums so please forgive me if this exact topic has been discussed elsewhere. I am currently on no other drugs and have been free of opiates for about 2 years now. I was prescribed tramadol for a physical injury on my back recently. I also have intermittent but severe anxiety/depression that I use to medicate with traditional narcotics as well as marijuana. I've found that tramadol helps my depression/anxiety better than any drug I've ever tried. It gives me a slight buzz but even better than that it just helps to regulate my mood in a very subtle fashion. It doesn't numb me like other drugs do and I can still feel the events and interactions of the day, but it allows me to hold onto a strange sort of optimism that otherwise I rarely have.

So my question is this: What is the difference between the way in which tramadol acts on the brain (the ssri and norepinephrine aspects) as opposed to traditional SSRI's? I have tried various anti-depressants and none of them have ever worked. Either they had no effect, or the side effects were so bad that it wasn't worth it. I know both have SSRI activity but why is it that tramadol works so much better?

I will be out of my script soon and I know that getting a Dr. to script (even a low dose) for me to combat my depression is very unlikely.

Thoughts?

BUMP

Very interested in this matter as well, however as far as you are concerned maniquan, tramadol is being used by people as an alternative to MMT or Suboxone (personally I find it too weak for this purpose) though the main point being that there are certainly many reports of people using tramadol for long periods of time daily, some upwards to 5+ years.

As I understand it, as tolerance builds up to tramadol the less the opioid narcotic properties are noticed and in lets say for example 1 year it will probably act as a strict SSRI. As far as other SSRIs go I haven't taken any besides St John Wort which was okay and worked well for its purpose as well as Zoloft which I was taken off 3 days later due to an ongoing erection (danger of gangrene) and haven't fucked with them since. Although having tried kratom, tapentadol & tramadol which are considered the more unusual opiates I too believe Tramadol has a lot to offer in the way of depression and SSRI therapy.

I think there's more potential to using tramadol for depression than there is for treating pain.

Hope we can get a few more answers!

Last edited:
tramadol is not a SSRI, it is an SRI (serotonin releasing agent) and it binds to some serotonin receptors like 5ht2c

Even it is SRI, SSRI etc the instant positive effects still come via opioid receptors mainly. And they wont last forever. I also did an experiment with tramadol and opioid antagonist to figure out whether the serotonin effect is significant, and I didnt feel a thing from the drug when the opioid receptors were blocked.

Though it will cause SSRI-like WD symptoms so it definitely does something else, but the instant effects are opioid effects.

Tramadol has been kind of a wonder drug for me.

I use it to suppress my appetite as I am over weight. It also gives me a bit of energy and gets rid of the aches and pains that a guy in his 40s is now subject to.

However, I can also drive, socialize, and otherwise function perfectly well and best of all, I can come off it with only minor withdrawl for 2 days. I know everyone is different but it sure does a heck of a lot for me with few side effects.

Hope this helps.:)

Thanks for some of the replies guys. I appreciate the info on Trams being an SRI, as opposed to an SSRI. The instantly gratifying affects may come partially from its opioid agonist activity but it certainly does something for me which traditional opiates does not. As well it is not nearly as addictive (for me) and I'm able to much more easily moderate my usage. Just so everyone knows I got these for a legitimate back pain that I've yet to fully diagnose but probably will not be able to get more since I have no insurance right now. I had to go to a Med Clinic....so I'm a bit worried. I have a history of opiate addiction and certainly do not want to use percocet or vicodin, even if it is for a legitimate reason. I have had great success with Kratom as a depression therapy though I don't really enjoy the sedating affect that comes about half-way through the experience. I have ordered some kratom in the hopes that it will help with the back pain and depression since the trams are gone.

I'm interested to hear of anyone who has used tramadol or kratom as a long term (more than a few weeks) therapy for depression/anxiety.

thinking that tramadol or kratom is safer to use because it is not as strong as other opiates is not a smart way to think. i was completely clean from all drugs (opiates, meth, weed, alcohol, everything etc..) then started taking kratom again and here i am today sitting infront of my computer high off heroin...

tramadol is not a safe drug, i would never touch that shit again with a 10 ft pole. i ended up taking 250mgs (about half the maximum dosage the FDA recommends daily of 400mgs), smoked a little weed, had about 1-2 shots of vodka, and ended up having a tonic-clonic seizure. scariest moment of my life hands down, and i have had a loaded gun stuck at my head and put in my mouth before

trying to use tramadol as an antidepressant by someone who has been addicted to opiates before is like having your favorite meal in front of you, but only being able to take one bite. it is like playing with fire.

ask yourself the question, why does tramadol work so well for you? could it have anything to do with that tramadol and its metabolite affect opiate receptors?

I appreciate your perspective laCster, and many of the things you said were true. I do realize that I am potentially playing with fire by using even these mild substances. So far, I have no had a problem. I haven't used heroin or any illegal narcotic in about three years. The tramadol is gone and I'm not going to jump through hoops to obtain more. The kratom I cycle on and off of very frequently so that I don't get too used to always "having" something. I know there are risks but so far they have been worth it. For me personally, the likelihood of getting into serious addiction increases exponentially when I am not satisfied with life in general or do not have a clear goal for where I'd like to go. Like burroughs said;

"The questions, of course, could be asked: Why did you ever try narcotics? Why did you continue using it long enough to become an addict? You become a narcotics addict because you do not have strong motivations in the other direction. Junk wins by default. I tried it as a matter of curiosity. I drifted along taking shots when I could score. I ended up hooked. Most addicts I have talked to report a similar experience. They did not start using drugs for any reason they can remember. They just drifted along until they got hooked..."

The desire to do certain things in my life that are impossible under the duress of serious addiction is stronger than my craving for the feeling that drug may give. But it's always a precarious dance, your right.