• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tramadol Tolerance

threelibras99

Bluelighter
I've heard that Tramadol does not cause tolerance to it in the same way most opioids/opiates do. Does the tolerance occur more slowly, or does it not happen at all (long term, I mean, obviously getting high on it constantly will lessen effects)?

If you have a pre-existing tolerance caused by, say, Oxycodone and hydrocodone, how will that affect your tramadol experience?

I tried tramadol (350-400mg) a while ago with a bit of xanax to potentiate and got a real nice buzz from it. Then, I went on a few minor oxy binges (no physical addiction :D just a pretty nasty tolerance). Last night I took 500mg tramadol with 3 somas and about .5mg xanax, and it was mind-blowing. I know that this is partially because of the potentiating agents, but I figured it would be way less intense and pleasant than it was considering my tolerance.

So, how does all this jazz work?

hmmm im not sure HOW it works but ive bn taking tramadol 4 going on 6 months and i can still take the same dose and get high
its a great drug IMO

threelibras99 said:
I've heard that Tramadol does not cause tolerance to it in the same way most opioids/opiates do. Does the tolerance occur more slowly, or does it not happen at all (long term, I mean, obviously getting high on it constantly will lessen effects)?

Tramadol causes tolerance. It just builds up a bit slower than other opioids.

threelibras99 said:
If you have a pre-existing tolerance caused by, say, Oxycodone and hydrocodone, how will that affect your tramadol experience?

If you already have a tolerance or Hydro or Oxycodone, you won't feel any effect from the Tramadol

threelibras99 said:
I tried tramadol (350-400mg) a while ago with a bit of xanax to potentiate and got a real nice buzz from it. Then, I went on a few minor oxy binges (no physical addiction :D just a pretty nasty tolerance). Last night I took 500mg tramadol with 3 somas and about .5mg xanax, and it was mind-blowing. I know that this is partially because of the potentiating agents, but I figured it would be way less intense and pleasant than it was considering my tolerance.

Tramadol, Soma and Xanax are 3 drugs that can get you high. But you can have a tolerance to each of them.
But if you have a tolerance to Tramadol and Xanax, the Somas will get you high, if you have a tolerance to Xanax and Soma, and not to opioids, the Tramadol will get you high, etc... I think it's not too complicated to understand.

jasoncrest said:
If you already have a tolerance or Hydro or Oxycodone, you won't feel any effect from the Tramadol

I need at least 100mg oxy to get high, and the 500mg tramadol last night got me quite high. I took the somas and xanax well into the tramadol experience, so I know that for a while all I was feeling was the tramadol.

jasoncrest said:
Tramadol, Soma and Xanax are 3 drugs that can get you high. But you can have a tolerance to each of them.
But if you have a tolerance to Tramadol and Xanax, the Somas will get you high, if you have a tolerance to Xanax and Soma, and not to opioids, the Tramadol will get you high, etc... I think it's not too complicated to understand.

Soma does not get me high. I can easily tell the difference in the high from the three drugs, and I was definetly feeling primarily tramadol. I took about 1/6th the amount of xanax I need for any kind of buzz.

(edit) This is threelibras, by the way. Accidently posted from GF's name. (/edit)

Last edited:
I'm wondering does taking a benzo with tramadol kill the seizure risk of the tramadol? If they're anticonvulsants? Because you're taking a good amount of tram aren't you worried about the seizures?

Personally, after 2 years of daily prescribed use, I still have no real tolerance to tramadol in that the 400mg, now 300mg daily still does the job and I don't need more to get adequate pain relief. Addicted on the other hand, yes most certainly.

I disagree with the post that says "If you already have a tolerance or Hydro or Oxycodone, you won't feel any effect from the Tramadol" - tramal works its magic via a few different ways with opiod receptor binding being only a small part of that equation. Its the effect on seratonin levels and noradrenaline levels that seem to differentiate it from more classic opiod/opiate highs.

Many times i have taken 600mg over the course of a day, sometimes in one hit. This is the slow release tablets though and even when crushed, I dont think I am getting it all in one hit as it still time releases. If you took 500mg of the IR form, I would be pretty careful and probably wouldn'y repeat that too often.

Regarding taking a benzo for stopping any seizure risk, I don't think that would be all that advisable. Yes it will feel pretty good but I don't know that benzos have the potential to do that sort of thing ala Neurontin for example, but I am no expert on them so who knows?

If you want to know anything else about tramal, let me know, I have a pretty good understanding of it personally and what it works with and doesnt etc

FWIW, I've heard that tramadol w/d can be rather hellish and long lasting.

I know that it's not scheduled on the federal level, and I don't know of any states that have scheduled it (as opposed to soma, where some states have scheduled it at CIV, where it is unscheduled federally.) I do know that tramadol is on the DEA's drugs of concern list.

As far as soma goes, anymore it just knocks me out for a few hours, w/o any kind of buzz.

You heard correctly grand master. It isn't fun and lasts a week if your lucky, two or more if you're not. I have never had to go through a heroin withdrawal so I can't say firsthand how similar it is but for sure, you need much, much willpower to stop yourself from having just a little taste so as to stop writhing around in all sorts of pain.

Tramadol is a horrible drug IMO. I was prescribed this when I was being treated for back pain, I was on it for about a year. When I would run out or low I would get horrible withdrawl; all the pharmacists and doctors told me it was a great opiate replacement because there was no addiction possibility. Bullshit. I think that the depression, anxiety and all the other stuff that comes from it is far worse than any Hydrocodone withdrawl I have had.

About killing the seizure risk.. unless you are predisposed to having seizures and you don't go taking 1000mg .. you'll be ok. It's mostly people that have underlying issues that should be worried about seizures. If you're only taking 300mg there isn't anything to worry about.

But, again, I'll say that this drug is one of the worst I have ever been on. I much rather be addicted to vicodin than this shit.

Shit... I was going to use tramadol to taper down from a several month herion 'binge', now I'm not so sure that I want to.
Would a few days of tramadol (then no opiods) give me the long-lasting tramadol withdrawal, or would that only be if I had been using tramadol all along?
(I mean, can it be worse than H?)

bro, these guys are making out tramadol withdrawl to be something miserable. Trust me, you should be spending all your worry time on worring about your H withdrawl. I could cold turkey 1000mg of trammy a day while going to school and working a night shift.

No you dont need to worry about withdrawals from only a few days use. It takes some time for the brain to get adjusted to tramal and therefore get upset when it's stopped.

To the above poster, if you came off them with no ill effects, thats great but sadly it isnt the reality for a lot of users.

An additional negative aspect of tramadol w/d is that tram has a SSRI aspect to it, so it may actually cause deeper rebound depression then some other more typical opioids.

I've used tramadol before, but several months ago last time. At that time I took 300 mg dosages each, and those were okay. I've just been wondering would 500 mg be better, or just more side effects. I just got some leftover tramadol. I guess it's time to give it a try first time this year.

tramadol does make you tolerent to it, i took 500mg and the next day i kept popping them i would say to about 1000mg and i felt nothing except nausea, but the first time i was nodding out off of 500mg. and plus the pills taste like something that i cant explain if you chew them i can guarentee you will throw up and if you dont swallow them with a liquid solution you will get sick too. so yes you can get a tolerance, maybe not some people that combine other drugs with it but by itself you will not get high off them, but its made for pain relief not to get high off of.

JuggaloMatt said:
the next day i kept popping them i would say to about 1000mg and i felt nothing except nausea,

This is very dangerous to take such a high dose of Tramadol!
With dose above 800mg Tramadol, there's a very big risk of seizure.
I wouldn't go above 500mg (and even at this dosage, the risk of seizure is still there)

I asked to get codeine in stead of tramadol after a couple of weeks, allthough weak the codeine did feel better. I liked the ER tramadol tabs better than the IR's, 300'ish mg's felt ok but I felt slightly spun and had trouble sleeping:\

hashforlife said:
I asked to get codeine in stead of tramadol after a couple of weeks, allthough weak the codeine did feel better. I liked the ER tramadol tabs better than the IR's, 300'ish mg's felt ok but I felt slightly spun and had trouble sleeping:\
Exactly, I ordered a bottle for w/d's and while it killed all the physical symptoms, I find that for the first couple hours after ingesting them I felt real edgy and uncomfortable. Then it usually just turns to sleepiness and the craving of a satisfiable opiate. Honestly, I prefer Kratom and that shit is a hastle.