• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Tramadol question

blue79

Greenlighter
Hi,

This is my first post. I am hoping to get a question answered. I have taken Tramadol many times before, for many reasons. I respond VERY well to it. It relieves my anxiety, makes me happier, more confident, and on and on. It also greatly reduces my appetite. I am usually far too preoccupied with food. I have tried to find an antidepressant that works as well as Tramadol. I’ve used Effexor and also Welbutrin. I’ve done pretty well with both, but neither reduces my appetite/preoccupation with food. So, when comparing these medications to Tramadol, I’ve concluded that the benefit of reduced appetite I get with Tramadol isn’t due to serontonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine. There is something else in Tramadol that calms me and reduces my appetite to normal levels.

You might think it’s opioid related, but it’s not. I’ve taken much stronger opioid medications than Tramadol and they didn’t do nearly as good for me. So, I can’t figure out what Tramadol has that reduces my appetite. I’ve done a lot o research, but the answer doesn’t seem very apparent at all. Can anyone provide any insight on this?

Have you tried Venlafaxine? It’s the closest in structure to tramadol and might be more suited to your needs.

Hi,

This is my first post. I am hoping to get a question answered. I have taken Tramadol many times before, for many reasons. I respond VERY well to it. It relieves my anxiety, makes me happier, more confident, and on and on. It also greatly reduces my appetite. I am usually far too preoccupied with food. I have tried to find an antidepressant that works as well as Tramadol. I’ve used Effexor and also Welbutrin. I’ve done pretty well with both, but neither reduces my appetite/preoccupation with food. So, when comparing these medications to Tramadol, I’ve concluded that the benefit of reduced appetite I get with Tramadol isn’t due to serontonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine. There is something else in Tramadol that calms me and reduces my appetite to normal levels.

You might think it’s opioid related, but it’s not. I’ve taken much stronger opioid medications than Tramadol and they didn’t do nearly as good for me. So, I can’t figure out what Tramadol has that reduces my appetite. I’ve done a lot o research, but the answer doesn’t seem very apparent at all. Can anyone provide any insight on this?

I would not recommend you go down that path. I felt the same at first and eventually ended up addicted to trams. And in my case, I had an eating disorder and I also liked it for what you say. But in my case, all the opioids I have taken suppress my appetite.

I think tramadol works for you so much because of its SNRI-opioid combination that it makes all the "bad" thoughts go away. Also, it's one of the most stimulating painkillers (in low-moderate dose) which also helps its appetite suppressant effect.

Effexor/Venlafaxine didn't work for you, that's rare as it's one of the few antidepressants that many people (myself included) feel that it suppresses their appetite. Have you not taken Fluoxetine/Prozac? In my case, I also felt like I was kill my hunger and didn't think about food 100% of the time.

Rx'd for pain PRN. Useless.
im prescribed it for depression, its a good med.

one of the metabolites of tramadol functions as an snri, so you get more norepinephrine activity. the reason why adderall surpasses appetite is because of norepinephrine activity, it puts your body into fight or flight mode. this connection could be why you feel less appetite.