• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tramadol can't sleep

UpInFlames

Bluelighter
I've been put on tramadol for back and neck pain. The evening dose of 50mg, taken with the intent of preventing the pain from waking me up several times a night, is keeping me from sleeping.

The scary thing about this is that I am on 30mg of Temazepam and 150mg of Trazadone for sleep and the wakefulness from the Tramadol is blasting through that med load.

Any suggestions that don't involve other illegal substances that will sort of cut down on the "wiredness" i get from the Tramadol?

I take 50 mg 3x daily PRN and notice the stimulating effect during the day as well, but it isn't a real problem then.

I am currently under pain management for the neck and back and the tramadol is stage one meds wise. I hope to be able to get by with it as the next step is hydrocodone, and the usual opioids and I don't get along that well. (I get sloppy high on very small doses)

I've been put on tramadol for back and neck pain.

I take 50 mg 3x daily PRN and notice the stimulating effect during the day as well, but it isn't a real problem then.

I am currently under pain management for the neck and back and the tramadol is stage one meds wise. I hope to be able to get by with it as the next step is hydrocodone, and the usual opioids and I don't get along that well. (I get sloppy high on very small doses)

If you know that, I'd stick with what would work for pain rather than being high. I've been through a lot with opiates.
And some of my problems have started with doctors prescribing me more that I should have.

Codeine is a safe option IMO depending on how much the dose is of course.

I'll ask about codeine if I can't find a solution with the tramadol. I actually get high on codeine as well, though not so bad as hydrocodone.

Unfortunately, I find codeine to be incredibly constipating, but that can probably be dealt with with a proper bowel "regimen"

It wouldn't be so "bad" if it were a nice, polite little "buzz", but I get downright stupid on opiates, and also tend to literally fall all over the place.

I live alone and can't take a med that prevents me from functioning.

I took tramadol for a couple years, and it made my insomnia much much worse. Zolpidem (Ambien) is the only thing that will let me sleep after taking tramadol, but you develop a tolerance to zolpidem surprisingly quickly and, well, if you ever withdraw from both of those meds at the same time you will be in for an extremely unpleasant surprise...

Tramadol functions not just as an opioid, but also an SNRI (i.e. antidepressant). The insomnia you're experiencing might actually be a result of the excess serotonin from the Tramadol/Trazodone combo (or it might simply be because of Tram's noradrenergic effects).

If codeine blocks you up real bad you can ask your dr about some pill i was recently reading about, however i forget its name but maybe someone else on here knows what im talking about and what it is called but i was reading a pamphlet at my dr's office and saw an add for some pill that relieves you of opiate induced constipation. Something to think about if you are going to end up switching to opiates and the constipation really bothers you.

Try to change your dosage times, that may help. Perhaps take it earlier or take it when you actually hurt. I have similar effects as you do on Trams. At a dose of about 100 - 150 mgs, I have energy and feel good. Amazing how Trams can even effect some hard core opiate users, but for some it does. I've noticed Trams can ease RLS a little during withdrawals.

I am prescribed it up to 3 times a day as needed for pain and that is how I take it. I tend to take the PM dose as that helps with the pain waking me up IF I get to sleep.

I only take 50mg at a time as that is how it is prescribed.

Some days I might take all 3. Some days I might take one. Some days I might take none at all. It all depends on how the pain levels are doing.

I didn't take the PM dose last night and got to sleep OK, but woke up in pain after about 3 hours.