• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol + Benzo to reduce seizure risk?

SaosinEngaged

Bluelighter
So I'm recently off a long (2 year) Oxy addiction and was using not exclusively for recreation but also to relieve moderate to moderately severe back pain stemming from an injury I received. I never sought medical treatment, I "self medicated" myself going through "other channels." Regardless, make no mistake, my Oxy addiction was mostly recreational.

Anyway, since I've been off my DoC, I realized I really do have chronic back pain that interferes with daily functioning. I finally sought medical advice and the doctor was eagerly going to write me a script for Codeine. Problem being I know I'm allergic to codeine and had to improvise a way out of that without letting the doctor know I've taken it before (since it's never been prescribed to me in my medical history). His next suggestion was Tramadol 50mg, taking one at first and another if one is ineffective. Now bear in mind, at this point I'm more concerned about dealing with my back pain than getting high, so I took the prescription knowing full well Tramadol ain't Oxy. :\

I took one this afternoon, and to my surprise felt a little more than I thought I would. I wasn't taking towering doses of Oxy, and it's been at least 3 weeks since I've used any, so my tolerance had to deplete quite a bit. It did also seem to help my back, which was a relief.

In doing brief internet research about Tramadol, I was pretty shocked to find the many NUMEROUS threads about seizure risk associated with 400+mg/day dosages. In reading briefly about the chemical structure of the drug, I can see it clearly makes sense. Tramadol seems to put a lot of strain on your brain with its SSRI properties, as well as the m-1 release.

Getting to the point, I am a cautious drug user to begin with, but I am IRRATIONALLY and COMPLETELY terrified of seizures. I know at the 50-100mg doses I'm likely to be taking, the risk is low. But I've read reports online of seizures being induced even from 100mg. I have a near limitless supply of Klonopin and was basically wondering about the safety of combining the two? I've never combined k-pins with Oxy; I just never had the desire. Oxy high was good enough. But now for the Tramadol, I'd only be doing it because I've read on here it can reduce the risk of having a seizure from the Tramadol. At these doses, do you guys even think it's necessary? Also, how much Klonopin should I take with it? At the same time? Before? After? I'm not dependent on Clonozepam although I use it frequently (at least a couple times a week).

Seriously, I have a completely irrational fear of seizures. I've never had one and would probably rather risk a gunshot than have a seizure. Not to mention because of my work schedule difference with my fiance's, I'm usually either home alone often or driving alone. Any opinions on the possible seizure risk of low dose Tramadol? Is it minute? Unheard of? Ridiculously irrational of me to be worried about?

Thanks for any opinions guys. Seeing as I already got out of getting codeine, I'm a bit hesitant to go back to this doc and tell him I'm deathly afraid of the seizure risk. Although it's true, I really think it would look more like I'm just trying to get harder drugs, which for once in my life, I'm really not.

Yes adding a benzo (one with anticonvulsant effects) will help raise your seizure threshold but don't think just because you took a benzo that you can take as many trams as you want.. i wouldn't go above 500-600mg if you were to do it (which is 200mg over "safe" dosage w/o benzo)

Also watch out for respiratory depression and over-dosage with benzos..combining opiates and benzos can be great, but it can also be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Have Fun. Be Safe.
%)

-HOOD

15 or less??? WTF are you smoking?

the max you want to take is 400mg in 24 hours.

Even taking 400mg is risking it a tad according to my neurologist.

I dont go over 150mg, and that treats me just fine.

^ yeah that is the highest recommended "safe" dose limit for 24hrs, they are asking if they can take a benzo to raise their seizure threshold enough to be able to take higher doses than the 400mg rule. And my answer to that is stated above.

Adding k'pins or any other benzo sounds unneeded at the doses of tramadol you are taking. You may end up with a wild addiction as k'pins will soothe your "irrational fear of seizures" and you may find that a desirable effect and begin another cycle of abuse with something that can cause seizures if you develop a bad habit with your "near limitless supply" and stop cold turkey. It sounds to me that k'pins are not needed here. Stick to the tramadol and try to keep your doses under 200mg per day and you should be fine.

I have a friend who has a high risk for seizures because of a brain lesion caused by Effexor withdrawal. And I thought getting off that crap myself with a psychotic episode was bad!

Anyway, she experiences neuropathic pain now because of the lesion and was put on tramadol, despite the risk of seizure, which she is already prone to. They also put her on clonazapam for the seizure issue, but both drugs are a low dose and she is very responsible with both.

So my reply would be not to worry about the seizures as long as you are taking reasonably low doses of the drug. And please, please do not get yourself on benzos if you have no need to. They are highly addictive and the tolerance builds fast. I began on .25mg of alprazolam nearly four years ago, now I'm up to 6mg a day of clonazepam, and if I forget to have it on me or run out, like I did during hurricane Irene (unable to reach my doctor for days)...it's quite a horrible experience. Just my two cents.

I have a friend who has a high risk for seizures because of a brain lesion caused by Effexor withdrawal. And I thought getting off that crap myself with a psychotic episode was bad!

Anyway, she experiences neuropathic pain now because of the lesion and was put on tramadol, despite the risk of seizure, which she is already prone to. They also put her on clonazapam for the seizure issue, but both drugs are a low dose and she is very responsible with both.

So my reply would be not to worry about the seizures as long as you are taking reasonably low doses of the drug. And please, please do not get yourself on benzos if you have no need to. They are highly addictive and the tolerance builds fast. I began on .25mg of alprazolam nearly four years ago, now I'm up to 6mg a day of clonazepam, and if I forget to have it on me or run out, like I did during hurricane Irene (unable to reach my doctor for days)...it's quite a horrible experience. Just my two cents.

i can second this. at 50-100mgs tramadol is virtually riskless when it comes to seizures. i've taken tramdol in excess of 1g a day for several days, and even with the medication i'm on (venlafaxine and pregabalin) it never induced a seizure. i did have a grand mal seizure once, stemming from alcohol withdrawal and irresponsible recreational use of pregabalin, but that was just me being an idiot. so if you still have a morbid fear of seizures (you shouldn't) get your hands on some gabapentin, it has no potential for addiction and is usually well tolerated.

I'm epileptic, and the first seizure I ever had was from stupidly taking about 100 mg of Tramadol while coming off of MDA. I just wanted to mention that if you are taking Tram, you might want to do some research on MDMA /MDA. Just a thought.

Yeah, I believe my previous heavy MDMA use and that incident sort of jump-started my epilepsy, like how psychedelics don't CAUSE schizophrenia, etc. but can bring those disorders to the surface. Luckily my med's are working and I just stay away from MDMA/MDA.

Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah, I'm taking 50mg three times a day and it's actually working wonders for my back pain. I'm quite surprised, based off what I heard I assumed Tramadol wouldn't do much for me considering my previous Oxy habit.

I'm sure everyone is affected differently by it, but for me it's effective and even pleasurable.

I do find that within the hour of my dosage, I feel a little weird. I can't even quantify exactly what I'm feeling, but my guess it's the SSRI properties of Tramadol kicking in before the opioid part. Tramadol seems best 2-3 hours after you've taken it.

And yeah, I'm very careful with Klonopins. I only take them when I have out of control anxiety. The only reason I say my supply is unlimited is because my best buddy is prescribed a ton of them and he never finishes his prescriptions. The only recreational effect I get from klonopin is the relief from my anxiety, which can be "euphoric" in an indirect way.

tramadol does have an certain weird feel about it in a certain faze. Without excaxtly knowing what causes it the one hour point corresponds perfectly with my own experiences. Could be the norepinephrine reuptake or nmda antagonism. This weird feeling could promote anxiety but will residue as the effects later on seem to get a more narcotic feel. Like Happydaze21 wrote keep the dosage low and you ll be fine. No need to add an antiseizure drug with addictive properties!

And get used to the feel before getting in the car, although i don't drive the turning point of the drug seems like a undesireable effect while operating heavy machinery like cars.

I have had had an off and on again oxy habit myself, and recently got my hands on some Tramadol, I believe the strength was 50mg as well. After not indulging in opiates for only a few weeks (10mg oxycodones several times a day for a week or so), the Tram worked wonders for my recently sprained ankle and even gave me a decent mood lift, which I was not expecting.

I completely agree with you on the Klonopins. Even though I do get quite a bit a month, it produces no euphoria other than being able to function with tremendous anxiety. Although it's such a high dose, I still do get panic attacks unfortunately, though luckily it's usually only when I've forgotten to take it. But my anxiety is so ridiculous (probably a lot of rebound anxiety I realize), that I can still get attacks whilst being on Klonopin, thus needing more, etc.

How is Tramadol unscheduled? Seriously, I can't understand it. The US is extremely strict with drugs and scheduling, yet Tramadol is totally unscheduled? There's definitely recreation/abuse potential in it. I'm not complaining, just genuinely surprised.

Seems like the clinical drug trials didn't catch this one. Tramadol is no Oxy, but it's better than Codeine IMO, by far.

How is Tramadol unscheduled? Seriously, I can't understand it.
Hi read a bit in your topic and i can't understand many things not what is scheduled and what's not. Don't know how it is in U.S. but here in Europe some countries sell DHC or Codein (even Tramadol in 1) without any prescription, but if you want Ritalin (methylphenidat) what's in my opionion harmless about getting addict, no physical addict etc. you need a BTMG prescription (means with a special layout, watermarked, very hard principles, i think its like schedule 2 in US. i think) so i am wondering too.

But i think that someone who is in that possision or a group of people to decide whats legal and not, just has no idea what is this substance in real, on paper there is some information yes but you know what are these mostly, but i don't think that such a person knows about the real effects of a drug, or that injurious/addiction effects.

anyway im Off Topic now,

I took Tramadol quit often in the last 2 years, and i could say, had dosages about 300-1200 mg/day, after several 1g/day dosages one time at 700mg(would say 100mg/h for 5-6h) i didn't know what's going on with me, i just waked up and didn't realized whats happened the last 3-5 minutes, my friend just told me i was sitting in my chair eyes closed and started to cramp, he called the rescue and they took me to hospital, however i didn't stayed there, on next day i got results from neurology test and they said it was a seizure, but i didn't said i've taken tramadol.

Don't know much about tramadol induced seizures but this was something different. but don't take my dosage as an excemple how far you can go! I had some friends they had a seizure at 500 mg, so it's depending on your body and how is your magnesium, carbon etc. level in the muscles in my opinion

But now i just wanna say yes Benzos reduce seizures risk, (took some higher dosages 500g initial and every 2h about 200mg additional 100-200 mg with 10-30mg diazepam or 1-5 mg alprazolam tried much with tramadol+benzos, and never got even any cramping muscle even with amphetamin(derivate) use) but take care of them you know what i mean.

I think your analgetic dosage about 50mg 3 times/day don't make problems. But take care of an addiction it's cause of these serotonergic/noradrenergic effekts hard to withdrawal, i was physikal addictet just a short time about 2 month all over i would say 400 mg/day and the withdrawal was a real pain, just can say it's hard rly hard, got today(after 1 year) still brainzaps.

Last edited:
I never had seizures and have had 2 now bc of tramadol. Please don't go over the 400 mg dosage max. I would hate for you to have a seizure too. I had taken it off and on for years and never had a problem. Good luck.