• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tramadol and seizures, increase the seizure threshold with Xanax?

Techromantic

Greenlighter
Hello, I'm new to bluelight but I really need an answer/opinion/personal experience/link about this. Does Xanax increase the seizure threshold like Klonopin does? I'm on Tramadol and worry about the seizure threshold during the times I increase my dose. I was on Klonopin for a time and I know for a fact helps decrease the chance of having a grand mal seizure (the kind that Tramadol can cause) however I can't find anything about Xanax doing the same. I know some benzos can help decrease the chance of having a seizure but not all of them do. Does anyone know if Xanax can help as I'm not currently on Klonopin (I only have some Xanax). Thank you in advance.

Xanax will prevent chances of seizures in doses of Tramadol that are above 400mg, which is at the seizure threshold. What dose of Tramadol are you taking now, and how much Xanax do you have?
Alprazolam is one of the benzodiazepines that do raise the seizure threshold, so I believe you should be fine. But just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't go past 400mg of Tramadol, and if you do, don't go past by much.

I've eaten my fair share of benzos and tramadol, and if I ever take more than 350-400mg at once I'll pop a MG or two of Xanax and I never have had a seizure. I have a crazy benzos tolerance tho (never been dependant tho). I could take 20mg of etizolam/alprazolam in a night and not black out.

Anyways, Xanax does raise the seizure threshold, however clonazepam, diazepam, or even flubromazepam (but that's wayyy to long lasting) do a much better job at it. I don't know all the pharmacolocal aspects of it but my understanding is longer acting PAM benzos raise the seizure threshold much better than shorter acting LAM benzos, (or triazo benzos, akak triazolam, cloanzolam, ect).

Your best bet is to never go over 400mg in a day if you can. If your prescribed it for actual pain, i would talk to your doctor about a different opiate if your this concerned. If not, then when taking over 400 MG add in some diazepam to the mix. Under 400 I wouldn't even recommend a benzos as it dulls the mood boost tramadol gives you. Plus you don't want an opiate and benzo habbit at the same time.

-xm

Thanks for the replys, I take Tramadol when I run out of the oxys I'm prescribed. I'm normally only using Trams about a little over a week at a time. Start out with taking 3 the first two days then move it up to five and 6 50mg. My Klonopins were stolen out of my purse, so I don't have the comfort of knowing they will help stop seizures. I only have .2mg Xanax at the moment, about how many Xanax would help when coming down from Trams?

Just taking the equivalent to your usual clonazepam dose should be fine.

I often took benzos with tramadol for this exact reason and never had a seizure on this combo whereas I did previously have a seizure on tramadol alone even under 400mg so it seemed to work in my experience too.

Actually xanax is so short-acting that it might increase the risk of a seizure especially if you are taking a prolonged release formula or staggering your tramadol doses.

of course you can always spread out your alprazolam dose.