Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Trade's Stance on GHB Made Again

mrephedrine69

Bluelighter
I'm sure some of us would remember an old thread regarding GHB and the promoters of 'Trade' at Turnmills in the UK. They have made their stance clear again with the upcoming Tony de Vit tribute party in the following article taken from inthemix.com.au:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/17133/

Hard house institution Trade are warning GHB users to stay away from their upcoming Tony De Vit tribute party at Turnmills next month, declaring ‘if you are thinking about it, then stay at home."

"We cannot ignore what happened at Easter in Trade," the club declared in a press release posted on their website this week, "and we will be operating a strict searching policy and a zero tolerance to the use and supply of GHB at Trade."

The legendary hard house club was forced to pull out of Turnmills by the venue owners in April after a number of revellers overdosed on GHB at Trade’s annual Easter event.

Explaining the move at the time Turnmills chief Danny Newman said they were cancelling Trade events ‘to prevent a serious incident occurring in the future.’

"We feel that the current trend of GHB in clubs is spiralling out of control, this problem is not just confined to Turnmills but is a becoming a major problem in many gay and straight clubs up and down the country," he added.

"Turnmills has continually supported Trade and the gay community for over a decade and we will continue to do so, but only in a safe and controlled manner," he said.

Trade’s return to their original home on September 12 is certain to be road-blocked, particularly since Tony De Vi protégé Fergie spinning a special tribute set selected from records pulled from the hard house pioneer’s record box. The Radio 1 star was brought to London by Tony as a teenager and made his name spinning at Trade during its mid to late 90s heyday.

"When I first started going to Trade I hated it, I’d never met any gay people before then all of a sudden I’m walking through Muscle Alley with Tony and there’s all these big fucking prettys trying to catch my eye," Fergie told Skrufff earlier this year.

"They must have thought I was right fucking prey, a fresh faced 16 year old wandering about. But after that I started loving Trade, there was nowhere like it," he recalled.

Yeah, while I think that drug users that use a certain substance in a public place, without much caution, are rather selfish. It's kind of a selfish attitude of the "Trade" venue in a way. The owners/promoters should be aware that drug usage in clubs is a common thing and no matter what they say, it's going to happen anyways.

Fergie is an awersome performer and mixes up some pretty neat Hard-House beats. It would be a shame such good DJs got bad coverage, if there were alot of G overdoses, but being a public/social event, I guess it's usage is almost inevitable.

On a side note, how good a night does it sound, pulling out classics from de Vit's own crates!

The owners/promoters should be aware that drug usage in clubs is a common thing and no matter what they say, it's going to happen anyways.
I think they're keenly aware of this, which is why they took the stance they did.

Rather than respond with stern but perhaps hypocritical anti-'demon'drug propaganda and continue trading as normal (in the knowledge they have paid lip service to their duty of care), the promoters of Trade responded to a GHB-crisis by effectively saying "If there's nothing we can do about stopping people from taking GHB at our parties, we're not putting on any more parties." -- Future crises in conjunction with them averted, period.

Now, coming back to the venue for a return party, the punters will know how serious these promoters are about their stance on GHB, and would be foolish to expect anything other than a 0% tolerance approach on the night.

BigTrancer :)

How about GHB information kits. Dosage, safe practice etc. 0 tolerance approaches to anything drug related never work.

I've got to say, I understand Trade's stance. You've got to remember these guys do it for a living. Its their job, how they put food on the table for their kids.

I have no doubt that they'd be under a hell of a lot of pressure from the venue. From the venue's stance they'll ultimately cop the blame from the authorities/cops. And so they turn to Trade and say if this sort of thing continues, we won't risk losing out license, we'd just rather lose you.

And so Trade's got to take the stance they are. Regardless of our own views on GHB we've got to accept that it is a major issue with some venues.

I can tell you it get kind of hard to explain to the cops and the ambulance why they've got to show up yet again at your venue, and why you should be able to continue trading. A lot of the 'front-line' cops/ambos are happy to turn a blind eye to a e-ed up happy crowd, there's no fights, everyone's happy, blah, blah. But if that crowd starts dropping like flies then something will be done.