• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TOUR - Good Vibrations - Aus - Feb 08 REVIEWS!!

Rated E said:
Melbourne Set Times:

Star Bar

12:00 12:50 Brad Sassman
12:50 1:40 Richie Walton
1:40 2:30 Lynt
2:30 3:20 Upfunk
3:20 4:10 Virginia Le
4:10 5:00 Pete Sofo
5:00 6:00 Christian Luke
6:00 7:00 PQM
7:00 8:00 Brewster B
8:00 9:00 Lorne Padman

B Live

12:00 1:00 Andee Van Damage
1:00 1:30 Gameboy/Gamegirl
1:30 2:40 Bag Raiders
2:40 4:20 Beat Vandals
4:20 5:50 Radioclit
5:50 7:20 A-Trak & Kid Sister
7:20 8:50 Tittsworth
8:50 10:00 The Nextmen feat. Yungun

Chinese Laundry

12:00 1:05 Jono Fernandez
1:05 2:10 Bass Kleph
2:10 3:15 Andy Murphy
3:15 4:25 The Stafford Brothers
4:25 5:40 16 Bit Lolitas
5:40 6:55 Surkin
6:55 8:25 Sinden
8:25 10:00 James Zabiela

Roots Stage

12:00 12:40 Nick Toth
12:40 1:40 Diafrix
1:40 2:40 Kuya
2:40 3:40 Pigeon John
3:40 4:10 Nubian Crackers
4:10 5:10 K-OS
5:10 5:40 Nubian Crackers
5:40 6:40 Pharoahe Monch
6:40 7:10 DJ Perplex & A-Love
7:10 8:10 Katalyst
8:10 8:40 DJ Perplex
8:40 10:00 High Contrast feat. MC Wrec

Good Vibrations Stage

12:00 12:40 Damn Arms
12:40 1:00 Nick Thayer
1:00 1:40 The Bamboos
1:40 2:10 Nick Thayer
2:10 3:10 Thievery Corporation
3:10 3:40 Agent 86
3:40 4:40 Calvin Harris
4:40 5:10 Agent 86
5:10 6:10 The Rapture
6:10 6:50 Steve Lind
6:50 7:50 Cypress Hill
7:50 8:30 Steve Lind
8:30 10:00 Kanye West

I dare say Sydney will be somewhat similar. Except replace the local Melbourne acts with the local Sydney acts.

It's weird how they name one of the stages Chinese Laundry. I know that one of the stages at the Sydney one is called that, but that was obviously to advertise Chinese Laundry (the club in Darling Harbour, since both Good Vibes and Chinese Laundry are run by Jam Music).

Maybe there's a Chinese Laundry in Melbourne? Though I doubt it... Possibly some clever cross city advertising. :)

Major time-clashes! Kanye, High Contrast, Zabz, Nextmen!!! arghhs why did they have to throw em all on at once! fookin ell!

I'm not going to get too worried yet, since those are the Melbourne set times.

I'm a little annoyed at some of the clashes. However I could hypothetically see (from that line up):

Bag Raiders
Stafford Brothers
A Trak and/or Surkin and/or Pharoah Monch
Sinden
Zabs (High Contrast could have been here as well, but I don't really think Zabs is the kind of DJ I want to just watch some of... I need to be there for the whole set.)

+ Aston Shuffle and Dynamix in there somewhere (who are on the Sydney local line up).

And I'll be happy. Funnily enough, I think I'll be watching Zabs by myself, since none of my friends are actually "in" to EDM enough to miss Kanye for him. Plus I have a feeling they'd manage to find him boring.

Ah well. Bring it on. :D

Im guessing its not sold out for melb because theyve been advertising it on tv...

Lookin foward to this. Then Future Music... closely followed by V festival, god I love this time of the year.... woo

How did this go, guys?
I would have liked to have seen Cyprus again, but it wasn't really worth my moola' just for that IMHO. :|

Oooh, I'm also interested to see how this was for the Melbourne folk...

Some of the GoodVibs hasnt been yet but i edited title to include ones that happened this weekend.

Should I really spoil it for the rest of the cities that have yet to experience this years GV's..??

I think i'll leave reviews on individual acts till the tour has finished up around AUS...just so it doesnt spoil it for most peeps...altho im sure ya'll can read reviews on other forums..i.e ITM...

But anyway i will comment on my first experience at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. Nice setup, only qualm throughout the day was the sound which seemed to be lacklustre on the Main stage and Roots stage. Not sure what the sound restrictions are @ the Bowl...but mic levels during particular acts were extremely low and it was hard to listen when the music was taking over the vocals. Quite agonising when the main acts which I came to see had problems during their set...one act even asking the sound guy to turn up his mic levels and getting the crowd interaction into it.

Besides that had to do a bit of running around at the end to catch High Contrast and Kanye..luckily enough the stages were close together so wasnt much of a mission gettin between the 2.

1 down 3 to go...hope everyone else enjoys this years GV. Alot of diverse and quality acts which seem to get better each year round.

astro^boi said:
Should I really spoil it for the rest of the cities that have yet to experience this years GV's..??

I think i'll leave reviews on individual acts till the tour has finished up around AUS...just so it doesnt spoil it for most peeps...altho im sure ya'll can read reviews on other forums..i.e ITM...

With the amount of clashes I'm expecting, yea, I'd like to know what the artists you saw were like and whether they are worth seeing. ;)

One of the highlights early on in the day would have to be Thievery Corporation. If you wanna see a live act at GV, this would be highly recommended. Lots of stage presence and tunes were just fantastic. Sound at this time of the day was spot on. Unfortunately detiorated from this point onwards. Saw a bit of Calvin Harris...not my kind of thing but had the crowd pretty much going through his whole set.

from about 4-5pm onwards things started to turn to shit with the sound. P. Monch mic levels on the Roots Stage was horribly fucked up during his set. As i mentioned before he was hyping the crowd up to get his mic level up. Not the artists fault, a underrated hip hop act IMO. Was good to hear "Simon Says" live...next up was Cypress Hill...in all honesty they didnt quite do it for me this time around. Saw them 4-5 years ago when they were here last and that blew me away. Not sure if it was the low mic levels during their set or the crowd interaction..seemed way more mellow..maybe bcoz of the abundance of weed floating in the air. Altho seeing them in Perth a few years back was one of the best live Hip Hop acts i've seen to date. If u saw them back then, they havent really changed much in their routine...parts of the show were repeated. The big blow-up weed Buddha was again on stage during their set.

Caught some of Katalyst after CH, wasnt really enjoying what i heard.

And come 8.30 it was time to secure a decent spot on the main stage for Kanye.. pity they had stopped people from going in and out down the front of the main stage from 5 onwards..was kind of a 1 in 1 out situation. And im guessing the people down there wanted to keep their spots for the big finale. Fair enough looking at it from a crowd control situation...people flow in and out would be hectic. So...the intro to Kanye...production and set-up was like good with his own props and stage singers backing him up. They had set it all up prior to Kanye coming on. Energy from Kanye himself was pretty good seeing as he had just flown in from LA...must have been rather jet-lagged.. took things back a bit with "Through the Wire" and all other classics as expected. Finishing off with Stronger...missed parts of songs as i was going between the 2 stages at the time...High Contrast had a decent crowd size but the sound at that time on the Roots stage was seriously low. U could hear people on the dance-floor talking above the music. Supposedly sound was turned down due to Kanye being on. Not sure if i'll be making a trip back to the Bowl if the sound is going to be the same for FMF. I mean Chemical Brothers would prob be the last act on the main stage and if they cant get the sound right for that...i may as well chuck their DVD in at home and crank the speakers up.

astro^boi said:
High Contrast had a decent crowd size but the sound at that time on the Roots stage was seriously low. U could hear people on the dance-floor talking above the music. Supposedly sound was turned down due to Kanye being on.

Argh, that sounds terrible.

Thanks for the account. :)

Sydney set times are in 3D World. I have them here but I won't bother typing them out, as I assume they will be up on the Good Vibes web site before long.

I had a really great day at the music bowl. I really only wanted to catch Calvin Harris, Cypress and Kayne which were all on the main stage. There were a few light spots of rain throughout the day but I had a hoodie on so it really wasn't an issue and it was still quite warm.

The crowd in general was really laid back and having a good time.

I thought Calvin Harris' set was quite good, I was surprised to find out he actually has a band and sings his own lyrics. Cypress were pretty good too. I'm not a huge Cypress fan and only knew a couple of their songs but the crowd was really into them.

Kayne was last on the main stage and did not dissapoint. His stage props and lighting were excellent and he played all his best songs finishing with Stronger. The highlight of the set for mine was Good Life. As stated in a previous review I also thought the vocal sound from the main stage was quite hard to hear at times. During Kayne it took me till halfway through the first verse to actually pick up what song it was a few times.

I was quite surprised to see 2 drug dogs at the entrance at about 3pm. It was the first time I'd ever actually seen dogs at any event. There were several people being written up for posession.

All in all I had a good day. The event had more of a big day out feel to it which I quite liked as a change from the different atmosphere you get at a summadayze or FMF etc. Hope everyone else enjoys the Vibes.

astro^boi said:
High Contrast had a decent crowd size but the sound at that time on the Roots stage was seriously low. U could hear people on the dance-floor talking above the music.

Thanks for the info. High Contrast would have been the only reason i would have considered going, but not worth it cause of the ticket price. I am getting a little wary of these festivals completely trashing HQ UK D@B acts !Last year i saw London Electricity @ Good Vibes@ the Gold Coast. They were the last on. The sound was very ordinary, one simply could not dance because the floor of the tent had turned to a rubbish dump, everyone was mostly cracked out and there weren't too many people left in the mood. Very disappointing.

I wish they could bring some good UK D&B acts out together, and have some respectable shows instead of being simply sidecars to the big names who's shows rarely meet the hype.

P.S. Like i saw cypress hill perform at a private party in Las Vegas with Flava Flav NYE 2005. That was unforgettable.

You point out 'they were last on' like it's a bad thing. Generally they save the best acts for close.

Sorry to hear about the sound and the rubbish. At the last festival I went to, a recycling system had been introduced. Basically, they charge an extra dollar for drinks, which you can refund by taking your empty cans to a recycling collection booth, which are located all over the place.

There were hardly any cans on the ground because of this. When you compare that to pretty much every other festival I've been to before that, this was a notable improvement.

I didn't mind paying the extra dollar either, and I didn't bother recycling the cans myself (I usually just use a bin).

I think that this system will become commonplace at festivals in future.

time traveler said:
Thanks for the info. High Contrast would have been the only reason i would have considered going, but not worth it cause of the ticket price. I am getting a little wary of these festivals completely trashing HQ UK D@B acts !Last year i saw London Electricity @ Good Vibes@ the Gold Coast. They were the last on. The sound was very ordinary, one simply could not dance because the floor of the tent had turned to a rubbish dump, everyone was mostly cracked out and there weren't too many people left in the mood. Very disappointing.

I wish they could bring some good UK D&B acts out together, and have some respectable shows instead of being simply sidecars to the big names who's shows rarely meet the hype.

P.S. Like i saw cypress hill perform at a private party in Las Vegas with Flava Flav NYE 2005. That was unforgettable.

Dont fret...if ur in Melb-town...Cyantific & Nu:Tone are heading down on the 29th of Feb + Dylan & Limewax on the same night. Should be a good party whicever one u choose to goto! intimate and without the hassles of worrying if the sound will be up to scratch..and if that doesnt float your boat...MARCH is gonna be a huge month..got Calyx and LTJ Bukem dropping in

^cheers for the info.

In Brisvegas, but im sure one of them will drop by. Saw Calyx @ Uber last time. It seems like alot of them will do Melb on Fri, Syd on Sat and Bris on Sunday. You normally think that would suck but to me it means a cool crowd and cheaper entry. Nice.

The Sydney set times were revised.

I'm so fuckin happy with them now. I can see Zabiela and High Contrast.

I realise that I'm talking to myself.

zabiela actually had them changed cos hes a big fan of high contrast and wants to see them