Writing-up [Toronto, Canada] - Paid pain medication research study seeking people who use opioids and/or sedatives

Bluelight admin note: BioPharma have donated to Bluelight in exchange for a banner advertisement for this study. We thank BioPharma for their support of Bluelight and we encourage any of our community members who may be eligible for this study to consider participating. Please feel free to post any questions in this thread. Thanks -- Tronica/Bluelight admin.

Paid pain medication research study seeking people who use opioids and/or sedatives
  • Institution Name: BioPharma Services Inc., Toronto, Canada
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Ethical clearance: Study approved by Advarra Canada (https://www.advarra.com/irb-services/canadian-review-services/)
  • Start date/end date for the study: Screening and qualification ongoing to December 2020
  • Study description: This research study aims to determine the abuse potential of pain medication. Volunteers will be informed of all details of the study when they contact our recruitment team to assess eligibility. You may be eligible if you use opioids and/or sedatives.
  • Any exclusion criteria (age, gender, race, nationality, geographical area, etc): The study is being conducted in Toronto, Canada, and requires your attendance in that city. You may be eligible if you are 18 to 55 years of age. The study is open to males, and females who are surgically sterile or post menopausal. EDIT: The research team has clarified that the study is open to anyone between 18-55 who reports use of sedatives/opioids
  • Any reimbursements or costs to be covered: Compensation up to $8000 upon study completion. Refer a friend and receive $400.
  • Approximate time commitment: Volunteers must commit to a screening session with a medical professional, a qualification session and treatment sessions.
To check your eligibility, visit the BioPharma Study Hub or call 1-833-879-2774.

About BioPharma Services Inc.
BioPharma Services Inc. is a contract research organisation that conducts research studies across all medical disciplines. Our offices and study sites are located in Toronto, Ontario and St. Louis, Missouri.

Last edited by a moderator:
"You may be eligible if you are 18 to 55 years of age. The study is open to males and females who are surgically sterile or post menopausal."

🤔

"You may be eligible if you are 18 to 55 years of age. The study is open to males and females who are surgically sterile or post menopausal."

🤔

Yes, the criteria are very specific! You also have to be able to make it to (or already be in) Toronto.

Another interesting aspect is Advarra. Advarra seems to be a one stop shopping solution to the new more stringent regulatory nightmares the biopharma field is facing due to tightening regulatory associated with attempts at making sure the work they due is ethical. They are owned by a parent company that has interests in many levels of the development of pharmaceuticals. A little vertical integration going on here? Could be the case.

Exclusion of possible child bearing participants is sop procedure in many clinical trials.

Just make sure you know what your sighing up for with the consent as this is a focal point of their websites studies introduction.. Cash and implied consent.

Last edited:
Yes, the criteria are very specific! You also have to be able to make it to (or already be in) Toronto.

How many men aged 18 to 55 are "surgically sterile"? My guess is maybe 4% at most...

🤔

The importance of a comma has been illustrated in this example.
The comma has now been added, and we can see that ANY males are eligible, whereas females who could possibly be or are pregnant are excluded.
I read it incorrectly the first time too.

Apologies for the confusion - I have edited the main post as the research team has clarified that the study is open to anyone between 18-55 who reports use of sedatives/opioids. No need to worry about sterility/post-menopausal etc!

I wonder if they would allow participation if on methadone. I'd think they'd almost have to, or how else could they stay available for the five several day periods of the study? One has to check in for minimum 3 days each period.

I wonder if they would allow participation if on methadone. I'd think they'd almost have to, or how else could they stay available for the five several day periods of the study? One has to check in for minimum 3 days each period.

It'd be great if you both inquired via the BioPharma Study Hub to see if you are eligible (e.g. when taking other opioid medications and pharmacotherapies).