Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

tooth decay.

.dR spgeddi

Bluelighter
I searched and found some anecdotal posting about and meth and toothless ness.

But I want to know,
Why do meth heads have rotting teeth?
I have disintegrating teeth! its not neglect... as a smoker i used to brush 3 times a day maybe more... as a tweaker it was definetly more!

but so many speed junkies (and other heavy drug users too) have bad teeth, is there any medical research or infomation that could serve as amunition in an debate i have recently engaged in with a current meth smoking machine who's teeth appear to be losing their enamel and becoming discoloured?

It's because the effect meth has on your saliva, its easy to get distracted and get around with a dry mouth for long periods of time. Your saliva has natural tooth-defense mechanisms and without it they are vulnerable to bacteria. Drinking water regularly, even just to wash your mouth out, minimises the effect somewhat.

It's to do with your saliva, mdma can do the same thing but mdma users don't tend to be wired on it 24/7, so the effects are far less noticeable.

Meth causes the dry mouth. Lack of saliva causes the enamel on your teeth to decay. At the same time no saliva and caustic meth smoke accelerates this process. Saliva is important in preventing tooth decay, while your tweaking your mouth can stay too dry for extended periods of time.

Amphetamines also cause jaw tension and teeth grinding. I have a diagnosed case of bruxism(severe jaw grinding) but on amphetamines this condition is a lot worse. Some people use mouth guards to stop the clenching and I will soon be one of those people :\

I have a condition called nocturnal bruxia, where I grind my teeth at night causing premature wear. My dentist tells me it is quite common, and as you don't really explain where this 'tooth decay' is occurring, it might be bruxia rather than decay. If you are worried you should consult your doctor or dentist.

Cowboy Mac said:
I have a condition called nocturnal bruxia, where I grind my teeth at night causing premature wear. My dentist tells me it is quite common, and as you don't really explain where this 'tooth decay' is occurring, it might be bruxia rather than decay. If you are worried you should consult your doctor or dentist.

chronic and disturbing tooth grinder myself. i have had, and have had, explained many theories. i have tried remedy, and have been instructed by many laymen and physicians!
i too show signs of early wear.

but haven't people noticed the "co-incidental" relationship between serious hillbilly tweakerism and rotten teeth.
some experts have responded and as a reslut i suspect that the hypohtesis leans towards ill-founded cause and effect relationships being put forward. a misguided generaliseation perhaps?

^^ More to do with the fact they are tweaking 24/7, more time to do damage than your average weekend user plus less likely inclined to good hygeine... It's all about how you look after yourself while your high...

Apart from bruxia, which I have also suffered with for most of my life, I believe the main factors influencing tooth decay from the actions of meth are:

1) Constriction of blood vessels supplying the roots of the teeth and gums.

2) Physical properties of concentrated amines - pH etc. - and resulting damage to enamel.

3) Reducing saliva secretions as mentioned.

Most dentists will tell you how important gingiva (gums) are to maintaining good dental hygiene and tooth integrity. If the blood vessels in the gums get less blood flow, they become prone to irritation which results in infection or inflammation. Despite what is commonly believed, receding gums are not a natural part of aging, but a product of long-term gingivitis. Gargling with a mouth wash (Listerine - original formula is best) before bed is good as it not only kills bacteria, but it also helps to stimulate the saliva glands.

Your saliva glands normally produce between 1 - 1.5L/ day of secreted saliva. It would be interesting to see what a regular high dose user would produce. Of course smokers could well be compensated for in some ways, as nicotine stimulates saliva.

BTW, off topic, but I'm interested in hearing if any of you who suffer Bruxia were ever placed on antibiotics - particularly the penicillians - for extended periods as a child.

Apart from a possible dry mouth, i really do think that you should never put meth/base in your mouth to avoid contact with teeth. better off bombing it or snorting.

^^ Yeah I always avoid that as much as possible too. This has been good thread......I always thought that tooth decay was the result of the acidic properties of drugs on gums and teeth, not the lack of saliva. Interesting.

Snort it and some will still end up in your mouth.

Bombing is very bad for your stomach and esophagus. The better method is to dilute well in a glass of water and drink it. That way there's no little concentrated ball of meth which may stick to your stomach walls and burn through the mucosa into the delicate folds known as Rugae. When this happens a peptic ulcer can be formed.

Fry-d, my ex-girlfriend has what you have. She wore a mouthguard to bed.... Prepare for people not talking to you in the morning until you've nuked your teeth with mouthwash/toothpaste cause in the morning... *STINKY BREATH*

But in line with the thread meth is highly caustic. causing teeth and gums to rot :(

phase_dancer said:
Bombing is very bad for your stomach and esophagus. The better method is to dilute well in a glass of water and drink it. That way there's no little concentrated ball of meth which may stick to your stomach walls and burn through the mucosa into the delicate folds known as Rugae. When this happens a peptic ulcer can be formed.

Good idea, I'll keep that suggestion in mind. Just have to remember not to share that drink with anyone less I start hearing friends complain they couldn't sleep for three days afterwards. :\

a fellow i lived with many years ago was a huge fan of methamphetamine, and would either bomb it or snort it. one morning, after a particularly large weekend, he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth, and called me in there...when i got there, he said "take a look at this"...he opened his mouth, his gum was bleeding profusely and his teeth were that loose he could move them quite freely in his gums...

nice. :|

killarava2day said:
It's because the effect meth has on your saliva, its easy to get distracted and get around with a dry mouth for long periods of time. Your saliva has natural tooth-defense mechanisms and without it they are vulnerable to bacteria. Drinking water regularly, even just to wash your mouth out, minimises the effect somewhat.
Right. I concur.:)

Maybe chewing suger free gum while under the influence would be good to produce saliva?

Chewing gum is great for saliva production but it can also cause excessive jaw tension if you tend to chew things apart. This will lead to destruction of tooth surfaces if your not aware that your clenching your teeth together.

Saliva production is most important to stop premature tooth decay however. A dry mouth will most certainly lead to problems if left unchecked.