• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Took 4 mg sub dose with multiple benadryl...questions because I'm really nervous...

Pat84

Bluelighter
Hi, so, I'm on 8 mg sub every day, I take one 4 mg in morning, and then one at night. Thing is, I suffer incredibly from insomnia, and I usually take a benadryl (25 mg) pill with it at night so that I can sleep. But usually I will take another half of another benadryl if I find it isn't helping. Well, today, I had the absolute worst insomnia and still do. And I just couldn't fall asleep. So, all together, I had my usual 25 mg some time last night (don't remember when) along with my 4 mg half of the sub, which I'd taken a couple hours before. Didn't sleep much at all and had to be somewhere, so I got up around 7 am and took my 4 mg sub half. And then, today, when I got home around 1 pm or so, I had a benadryl, but then couldn't sleep. So, around 2 pm or 3 pm or so, I had my other 4mg sub half (it had been about 8 or 9 hours since my last dose, I usually space them twelve hours apart but just figured I'd take it early). Couldn't sleep, took another half of a 25 mg benadryl tablet, then a couple hours later, I took another half of a 25 mg benadryl tablet. I think I quite possibly might have taken another half of a benadryl tablet after that, but I'm really not sure. And, like an idiot, it only now dawned on me that my insomnia was probably just really bad anxiety, because one 25 mg benadryl tablet usually works just fine. I guess my question is, did I take too much? And is benadryl safe to take with bupe?? I'm actually kind of nervous that I took too much with my subs and that it can depress breathing if I do manage to fall asleep. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
I usually don't say this because, you know, it's good to play it safe, but...you'll be fine. Probably no human amount of benadryl could potentially that bupe dose enough to kill you with your tolerance. Even without a tolerance bupe is hard to die from and that's not that huge a benadryl dose. Just don't take that as an invitation, though:)

I usually don't say this because, you know, it's good to play it safe, but...you'll be fine. Probably no human amount of benadryl could potentially that bupe dose enough to kill you with your tolerance. Even without a tolerance bupe is hard to die from and that's not that huge a benadryl dose. Just don't take that as an invitation, though:)
Okay, thank you for your advice. I usually do take a 25 mg benadryl every night with my sub dose, and have done so for about a couple of months, maybe more. But today was such bad insomnia that I started taking more and I sort of lost track. I was only taking half a benadryl tablet after my first full tablet, but I can't remember exactly how many half tablets it was. Probably I want to say no more than 2 or 3. So, a full 25 mg benadryl plus a half then another half then maybe another half...? Is benadryl safe to take with bupe usually or is it like taking a benzo??

Is benadryl safe to take with bupe usually or is it like taking a benzo??
It does make the bupe stronger to some degree but not as much as a benzo and not meaningfully at the doses of both you're talking about especially if you take both regularly. Taking a small dose of Benadryl (as you are) for sleep with your regular dose of bupe is fine. Taking a large dose of Benadryl with street dope or an opiate you're not familiar with, maybe not so much.

It does make the bupe stronger to some degree but not as much as a benzo and not meaningfully at the doses of both you're talking about especially if you take both regularly. Taking a small dose of Benadryl (as you are) for sleep with your regular dose of bupe is fine. Taking a large dose of Benadryl with street dope or an opiate you're not familiar with, maybe not so much.
Ah, ok, I see. What would be a strong dose of benadryl then? Not that I'm going to do that, trust me. I was just curious for the sake of gauging it in my head, in comparison.

Ah, ok, I see. What would be a strong dose of benadryl then? Not that I'm going to do that, trust me. I was just curious for the sake of gauging it in my head, in comparison.
100mg is strong but I'm really thinking in excess of that. When dealing with drugs you're not familiar with though, any amount could be too much