• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Tongue swelling and Suboxone

achemicalreaction

Bluelighter
Been on suboxone a little over a month with no issues. Woke up yesterday at 5am with an extremely painful sore throat, took some NyQuil and decided to see how I felt. Felt shitty but work let me work remotely and throughout the day I noticed my tongue started to swell (more so than my throat) which freaked me out! Took an anti histamine but swelling didn?t go down. The swelling is all underneath where I place the strip, low dose of 1mg a day.
Ended up going to the doc and got a steroid shot (holy hell this hurt worse than ones I got in my broken foot), and antibiotics, prednisone for 5 days, Benadryl and some weird cough suppressant pill. I really don?t think it?s an allergy tho.
my oral hygiene is good, twice a day, floss and Listerine. Made an appointment with my dentist tomorrow just in case.

has anyone experienced this issue before? I do feel like I have a virus or am sick, but the tounge thing is really weird and never experienced anything like it.

can I try taking my strip in my cheek and gumline?

edit: trying to find another example of this and saw one, tho the OP said they experienced severe pain at site and was on day 4 which I have none on tongue.. it’s been 5 weeks since I’ve started which is why I’m questioning allergic reaction, not to mention the steroids, ibprophen and antihistamines have not brought the swelling down significantly. Been 48 hrs since last dose and I chipped today on my DOC. Guess I’m just looking at idea for what else it could be :-/

Last edited:
If it were anaphylaxis you would have noticed it earlier unless it was an acquired allergy, still the infection sounds far more plausible and it sounds like your Doctor agreed. Taking the strip Buccally would be my first choice if SL was off limits for a bit. Turns out a good portion of SL administered meds get washed around in your mouth anyways so you shouldn't see a huge difference. Some have good luck dissolving the strip into like a 2-liter bottle cap of clean H20 and then trying to SL or Buccally absorb the med + liquid. It makes for a more dilute solution if for some reason the Subs are irritating the infection through pH buffers or flavorings,etc.

Thanks Jekyl, thanks what I was thinking re: the allergy. Think i will try sniffing until the tongue goes down and if that doesn’t work buccal.. Did something pretty dumb earlier because of the headspace of all this

edit: wanted to update if anyone ever has this problem, saw my dentist today and she was concerned about the swelling, told her about the Suboxone and she sent me to an oral surgeon for a free consult. He thinks it’s a reaction or sensitivity to either the Suboxone or a vitamin b tablet that I take sublingually a few times a week. Either way just have to give that ROA a good break, and keep an eye out if it gets worse. All the docs basically shrugged and covered bases with steroid, anti histamine and antibiotics so guess I can’t do anything but hope it goes down.

Last edited: