• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tolerance to most drugs can easily be prevented

I will read your thread, but a quick q does this also apply pregabalin?

It certainly doesn't apply for "most drugs" anyways, haha. It does work to some extent for amphetamines.

I wonder what happens if you want to prevent tolerance to DXM or other dissociatives? What do you use then - more DXM? :)

nope it doesn't work whatsoever. it also causes a frustrating amount of terrible side effects that interact with the drugs you're taking, especially when you start using 60mg of dxm three times a day. hell, just using 10mg 3x a day was interacting in a pretty horrible manner. the most prevalent one was the fact that i found it even more difficult to urinate ontop of the retention from opiates.

if you're using amphetamines and dosing DXM you're also in for a lovely bit of serotonin syndrome perhaps, and a larger chance of having a seizure. in fact i found it odd that when i had dosed DXM the next day my tolerance would actually seem to increase with regard to amphetamine in particular. same thing applies for when i was using mega doses of magnesium as people also suggest this decreases/prevents tolerance. it actually dulled the buzz from the amphetamine so i had to use more.

i've not tried memantine, but if it's acting on the same principle of NMDA antagonism, then frankly once again, i have no hope in that preventing tolerance build up in the slightest.

all i can say for sure is that DXM doesn't work.

If using DXM worked to prevent amphetamine tolerance, then it would be ubiquitous by now. Speed culture is age-old and vast. Every meth-mouth would have his bottle cough syrup alongside his stash, and there would be far fewer instances of the horrible side effects caused by increasing dosages in the face of rising tolerance.

Somehow I don't think this actually works.
90% of all anecdotes report succes, i will post the negative anecdotes in the other thread, its very important to also report the experiences of those it does not work for, i know of 2 people that were resistant too.

Side effects to low doses of dxm are rare from reading most reports, in that case memantine might be a better choice, for the non responders upping the dose may work, as seen with mem 20mg works for most but some need 60mg.

Keep all experiences coming, both positive and negatives, ppl not reporting succes often dont post wich gives a wrong view on the succes rate, so by all means post guys.:)

At sekia, theres a report of d aspartic acid working for ketamine tolerance, its only one anecdote so no guarantee it works but it could be worth a try. Ive been reading anecdotes for years on this subject.

90 percent of all anecdotes about anything report success, so I don't think that's significant

Hi MeDieViL,
I just downed 60mg. of DXM for the first time (for this reason, anyway). I am a middle aged female who is approximately five feet tall and one hundred pounds. I would say that I have a slightly faster metabolism than normal. I will take this dosage for 10 days, three times per day, eight hours apart to give it the best possible chance of success. I will be using DXM to try to prevent tolerance of opiates. I will report my results back to you either way. I will be a guinea pig for the cause :).

Well having read the other thread posted and seen the reduction of morphine tolerance in rats observed in numerous studies i decided to give a low dose a try with my subutex- i have gotten the same "sub glow" for 6 months taking just 15 mg appx 6 days a week. I notice an immediate decrease in perception of this "glow" upon >2 days abstinence of DXM- I have periodically taken 4-5 day breaks from the DXM in hopes of decreasing any sort of dependence i could develop to it and have noticed no side effects upon doing so, honestly i feel like i get greater effects out of my subs now than when i began, to the point where i have lowered my dose 4mg with absolutely no WD's.

I understand the legitimacy of something said on an internet drug forum, however, be that as it may, this has been a very interesting experience of mine and would like to see if my claims could (even in the slightest) be correlated to DXM consumption or if they are just simple placebo/interesting subjective side effects.

^^^^ Studies i found interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17994223

"The results, together with previous research, suggest that NMDA receptors are broadly involved in opiate-induced plasticity, including the development of opiate tolerance and sensitization."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8851162

"Results of this study indicate that competitive as well as non-competitive NMDA receptor antagonists enhance morphine's antinociceptive effect, and prevent the development of morphine tolerance. Thus, in our opinion, there opens a new frontier in clinical pain management, especially for those patients who require long-term opioid treatment for pain relief."

Other interesting articles:

http://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-...00/The_Role_of_Ketamine_in_Preventing.40.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16601258

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1824728

Again, not saying i completely believe this is legitimate/credible- just very interesting to me given that tolerance could be arguably the most paradoxical negative of drug use.

90 percent of all anecdotes about anything report success, so I don't think that's significant
Please elaborate, those anecdotes arent placebo controlled, but the placebo succes off most antidepressants is 33% now that isnt significant, 90 % reporting a succes rate is very significant if you ask me, its anecdotal but succesfull reports including for myself are all flooded over the place, and actually reversing tolerance to most drugs is something what id say is very difficould, so i find the results auite incredible.

Also 90% of all anecdotes for what? im skeptical this is about something as difficould as reversing tolerance to many drugs, but lame easy placeno effects such as anxiety reduction or whatever.

Hi MeDieViL,
I just downed 60mg. of DXM for the first time (for this reason, anyway). I am a middle aged female who is approximately five feet tall and one hundred pounds. I would say that I have a slightly faster metabolism than normal. I will take this dosage for 10 days, three times per day, eight hours apart to give it the best possible chance of success. I will be using DXM to try to prevent tolerance of opiates. I will report my results back to you either way. I will be a guinea pig for the cause :).
Hiya, yes please report back the more anecdotes the better, im curious for your results and hope you report succes.

Dxm + 10mgs of hydrocodone had me slobbering & uncoordinated......it would take me 15 minutes to type 4 words. I don't know what the heck happened......I don't know if thats what you call very very high or it was a side effect shutting down a part of the brain. Also, my girlfriend had said I sounded so messed up talking to her, like very high.

Never been like that when mixing Valium or somas with hydrocodone, etc.....strange!

How much dxm did you take? i havent seen that side effect reported before.