• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tolerance decrease on maintenance/weaning

Fornax55

Bluelighter
Hey. This question's fairly simple but I wasn't quite sure how to phrase it in the searchbar so I'm going to ask it.
My habit prior to last week was anywhere from 24-40mg of hydromorphone daily. I've since dropped it down to 8mg/day or every other day. The question (of which I'm already fairly certain of) is that my tolerance, with this new low-dose maintenance, will continue to decrease until it bottoms out at a certain level - though by no means will continue to drop to a level as if I weren't using.

What I'm basically asking is, since my habit last week was three to four times stronger than it is now, and I'm weaning, will the 8mgs I'm continuing to do slowly gain more effect as my tolerance decreases from a daily 36mg to a daily 8mg? The 8mg/daily should by no means be enough to keep my tolerance at the level it is - would anyone have any experience in regards to how much longer it would take for tolerance to decrease with this method instead of just going cold turkey (which I would do but I work 50+ hours a week at a very labour intensive job and that's just simply not an option right now)

I've been doing hydromorphone for 6 years and feel I can pretty confidently state that your tolerance should have already pretty much bottomed out if you've been at that dose for a week or more. It's very unlikely your tolerance will continue decreasing much, if at all, by that point.

odd. haven't noticed much of a difference. I took two days off straight and have done 8mg two other days but haven't noticed much of a difference and I'm still just as sick on my off days as if I'd maintained my 24-36mg habit.