• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Todays Shroom Hunt - pls help me identify ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsom

Bluelighter
OK, I was walking round my place, when I sopt fellow pickers on thier knees grabbing these little guys. I joined em and picked about 30, they got the rest.

They don't really look anything special and the stems don't really turn darker when pinched.

The tops are brown/silver with a yellow/gold centre and thr stems are white. The diameter of the tops are 2 inches, stems are about 3 inches long, and rather hollow.

The top of the stems are brightly gold and nearly shiny. The underside is grey near the centr, and black around the outer edges.

They were growing amogst woodchips with mulch near subberbia. Some of the tops, especially on the smaller ones curl around the stems, but they bigger ones have spread out. Unfortunatley the other ppl there had grabbed the bigger ones. I sure hope for thier sake they are not poisenous !

I will get a piccy up just as soon as I can fugure out how, but are there any preliminary guesses to what type/speices they are ?

Winsom

If you are in Melbourne you should have posted it in the Melbourne Mushroom 2004 thread. I don't think you can seriously expect anyone to be able to give you any advice without a photograph. This is from a previous post in the mushroom thread, please give us more information, or there is no point.

...It is very worrying that people are going out and picking things based on guesses and little research. The only times we should be asked to identify mushrooms is when the poster has said, "these bruise blue and have a purple/black spore print, what do you guys think?". If they do not bruise blue, and do not have a purple/black spore print then they are not active, and possibly dangerous.

I think we need a rule to prevent misidentifications, unless all of the following information is given, an identification shouldn't be attempted.
  • Macro photograph of spore print
  • Macro photograph of mushroom gills
  • Photograph(s) of mushroom.
  • Habitat information, image preferred.

Perhaps the mod's could help enforce this as for Pill ID's where specific information needs to be given.

er... without a pic it is IMPOSSIBLE... even with a pic it is still NOT 100%!!!!!!!!!!! Internet questions can be a guide, but nothing more. PLEASE DON'T EAT THESE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without a pic, it is even less responsible than a half-assed effort WITH a pic.

here is one of the pictures

I'll die a grisly death if I ingest them yes ?

Shrooms1.jpg

Winsom

No no., I was going to place a pic, it just took some time. I will definmately not eat them without more info. Infact, had others NOT been picking them I would have walked straight past !

The stem is still wet, must I wait untill it dries before it bruises. Even if they are not subs, atleast ppl will know what these ones look like, and to walk straight on past them !

The spores are blacks, but in the younger ones they are grey,

pic URL doesnt work... i get this

Not Found
The requested object does not exist on this server.

We have upgraded our site. Maybe the location has changed.
You could try to find the item yourself by browsing the New Bluelight website.

If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the server administrators.
In your message, please include the URL and the error message you received.

No they are not active.

THey are a coprinus species.... possibly Coprinus micaceus

Me and hardicus like to refer to them ask skank caps =D

Chuck them out before they melt into a gooey substance that smells like sex..... no i am not kidding.

peace

*shudders*

Nope they are yucky bad ones. . .

Shit I hope those other people didn't take 'em home and eat them. . . .

Poor buggers if they did! :\

The fact that you guys are reading these threads and learning nothing from them really scares me. Please stop picking shrooms if you don't know what your looking for.

As Cowboy Mac posted without the proper photos don't come asking us to ID mushrooms for you either. There is no way to tell 100% sure what we are looking at. I'd rather people didn't ask us here at all this is just not a safe practise. Throw your mushrooms away and don't go picking until you know what your doing.

/\ yeh fair enough...... but i did pick the exact same species thinking they were subs when i was learning last season.... didn't eat them of course but yeh you can't know subs until you've picked em.... i think the problem comes when people jump to conclusions about what they have and eat them without being 100 percent sure.

They scary thing is that after being totally confident with my 'suberban' picking and then going into 'country' picking and being totally in question in my ID'ing ability... It's all a bit disconcerting for the 'experianced' shroomer like myself, let alone a begginer...
so yeah.. be careful fellas... *sigh*

Fry-d-, being that you are an Australian Moderator, I will respect your wishes not post any more pictures of mushrooms.

IMO though, this thread has shown ppl one of the "what NOT to picks" and I can tell you, I am worred for the ppl I saw earlier today that aroused my attention to that particular section! God knows they'd most likely have ingested them by now !

Correct me if I am wrong, but one of the best ways of learning is by trial and error. Especially for someone like myself with mushrooms. "Don't pick them unless you know what they are"........................ that's like saying don't drop an eckie or drop acid untill you have a chemical anaylsis done BEFORE YOU SEE IT !

Coprinus micaceus huh, isn't that an American fungi ? Does it live in WA aswell, I don't think it is, here is a classic example of this -->
Coprinus_micaceus(tfl-c0229-43).jpg

I'd like to ID it, I will keep on looking. Does have a nsty smell doesn't it !

Fry-d- I apologise if my ignorance irritates you.

Dj ScAtTeRfAcE may I PM you with pictures of future mushies I finds as we have three or four excursions planned ?

Winsom

I suggest taking your requests to the shroomery, as you will find more knowledgable people there regarding mushroom identification. They will probably arse rape you if you don't do your own homework though, and fair enough.

One thread with one species of mushroom which shows what not to pick is useless. There are thousands and thousands of mushroom species, many which look like psilocybin mushrooms to an untrained eye. It is useless to educate people on what isn't active by posting up the wrong types of mushrooms, instead what is worthwhile is noting are the characteristics of active mushrooms.

This isn't an attack on you Winsom, just a vent that users arn't doing enough of their own research before starting threads on bluelight.

The problem with the trial and error routine with mushrooms is that if you make the error and eat the wrong mushrooms you die. Your friends might learn from your death but you will hardly be able to go hunting again.

I am not directly attacking you Winsom but there has been a growing trend around bluelight lately of people just going out picking mushrooms when clearly they shouldn't be. I can't stress enough how dangerous mushrooms can be. As CBM pointed out unfortunately showing mushrooms you shouldn't pick isn't quite as easy as it sounds as there is just so many. You are much better to learn the mushrooms you should be targetting as these are far fewer.

Last edited:
yep, I aggree Cowboy Mac and Fry-D. I see your points now clearly. I have much to learn about mushrooms....hopefully by this time next season I'd be a little more knowledgeable....8)

I guess my pining for lsd is making my mushroom hunt over-ambitious for the moment. I'd still not have eaten them despite this thread, I knew I didn't know what I was looking at, mostly that the stems weren't bruising.

I hope the ppl I met earlier today are OK..

cheers
Winsom

Psilocybian mushrooms described in this guide can be identified by an enzyme which occurs in fungi containing the alkaloids psilocybin and/or psilocin, with an indole nucleus and producing by an oxidative process, a blue pigment.

When the flesh of the stem or cap of a fresh mushroom is bruised or damaged (whether from human handling, wind, insects or falling objects), an enzyme occurs which oxidises as it comes into contact with air. This causes the damaged area of the mushroom to turn blue or blue green. Many species of psilocybian fungi have stems ranging in color from a pallid yellow white to an off white. Bluing in psilocybian mushrooms is common after damage has occurred. The bluing reaction occurs within 10 to 20 minutes after human handling but may already be noticible in fungi damaged from natural elements and from bluing with aging.

The genus Psilocybe is quite large, consisting of over 246 known species. More than 114 of these Psilocybe species are entheogenic. Psilocybe species have a wide variety of habitats which include: dung, manured soil, sandy soil, pastures, meadows, lawns, woods, among decayed twigs and leaves, spaghnum moss, woodchips and bark mulch.

Psilocybe species have certain characteristics common throughout the genus. These include: a conic to bell shaped cap, usually with a nipple or umbo at the top. The margins of the caps are often incurved when young. Some caps become convex and flat with age, others become wavy. The caps are viscid when moist and the margin is translucent-striate (meaning that the lines of the gill plates are visable on the caps when moist). Psilocybe species have a viscid pellicle (a film or membrane which can easily be separated from the cap).

Colors of the caps may range from a dark olive brown or chestnut rusty color when fresh to pale yellow when dried. The caps are hygrophanous, meaning that they change color as they dry. A slight bluing may occur along the outer edges of the caps when damaged. In some species this bluing is very intense. The color of the gills may range from cinnamon brown to dark chocolate or purple brown. The color of the spores are also chocolate to purple brown. The stems are hollow with a fine pith.

Some species such as Psilocybe semilanceata (the "liberty cap") can be wrapped around the finger like a piece of string. Certain varieties (psilocybe cubensis and/or Psilocybe subcubensis, Psilocybe fimetaria and Psilocybe stuntzii) usually have a dark chocolate-purple ring around the top of the stem where the mushroom cap has detached itself from the stem. The purple color of the ring on the stems of some Psilocybe species is due to spores falling on the stem after the cap of the mushrooms has opened. The color of the stems may range from a pallid yellow or yellow-brown to olive brown while other species have pure white stems. Bluing on the white stemmed varieties is usually very intense. In some regions, some species occur throughout the year depending on their locations and and climatic environments.

There are, of course, certain chemical applications used to speed up the bluing reaction which occurs in psilocybian mushrooms. One method involves "metol", a chemical used in photographic developing. "Metol" can be legally purchased from any camera and photographic supply outlet. Mix 1 part Metol with 20 parts water. Place the stem of the suspected mushroom in a "metol" solution and wait for approximately 1/2 hour. If the solution turns blue, you have actually collected a mushroom containing psilocybin.

I must read as many of these guides as I can, if you have more, pls PM me the links :)

cheers
Winsom

Status
Not open for further replies.