• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tocotrienol The best form of vitamin E

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Most vitamin E supplements on the market consist mainly of tocotherols, particularly the Alpha form. Although these supplements have great benefits, they cannot properly access the intracellular compartments such as mitochondria and the inner membrane is where most free radical production occurs. Therefore even though they have powerful antioxidant properties they cannot be fully utilised. This is why vitamin E can protect materials ranging from fats to solvents and plastics but don't show the same impressive results in the human body. The Paul membrane permeability of vitamin E is due to the saturated nature of the molecule which makes it rather large and bulky. In addition tocotherols can be toxic at high doses because they have a warfarin like effect on blood and can result in increased risk of bleeding.
However there is another form of vitamin E found naturally in palm oil, which has none of the setbacks associated with currently available supplements. In fact it has enhanced antioxidant power, deep penetration into cells, hi bioavailability, hi solubility in lipids, and appear non-toxic even at ridiculously high doses. These are the tocotrienols of which the delta form is best known. This form of vitamin E has been shown to easily cross the blood brain barrier and access the inner compartments of neurons, and in experiments it protected against neurotoxicity caused by a range of poisonous chemicals metals and physical trauma to the brain. Given the importance of vitamin E too many ecstasy and amphetamine users on this forum, it's very important we are using the right supplement for the right purpose, although it could be said that tocotrienols are the right choice for everyone if there benefits are all proven, something that is happening very quickly.
However there is only one problem with tocotrienols, they are very expensive to extract from palm oil and are therefore sold at a high price. In contrast the vitamin E used in traditional supplements is made synthetically from petroleum products which are cheap and available to many sectors of the chemical industry. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think one of the starting Products in vitamin E production is hydroquinone.
However when I was reading about vitamin E on Wikipedia it stated that tocotrienols could easily be synthetically produced by the same process if unsaturated analogues of the chemicals used to make tocotherols Replace the saturated ones. However there was no explanation as to why this is not done in practice given it could benefit so many people.
Anyone have an idea why?
I am not that much into conspiracy theories but is it possible that the pharmaceutical industry is somehow involved
Thanks

the unsaturated forms of vitamin e have longer shelf lives because they lack double bonds which provide handy sites for oxidation... see also why unsaturated fats go rancid and saturated fats do not

the properties of saturated vs unsaturated vitamin e analogs in vivo are really not that different... there is not that much poarity difference between the two especially when they are mostly hydrocarbon by mass anyway

However there is another form of vitamin E found naturally in palm oil, which has none of the setbacks associated with currently available supplements.

well actually it's still toxic if you take too much and functionally is no different than regular vitamin e...

and you coming and making all thes claims with no peer reviewed publications to back it up just goes to show how far nspd has fallen...

sekio what do you mean by "well actually it's still toxic if you take too much and functionally is no different than regular vitamin e" ive been taking huge doses of tocotrienols for a while, i wasnt aware of the same toxicities as synthetic tocopherols, please elaborate further

How big are 'huge doses'? I think if you're not experiencing anything negative from taking them you shouldn't worry.

Vitamin E toxicity is something you have to really work at to get. I think the major toxic effect is it will disrupt blood clotting 'cause high doses (wiki sez greater than ~1g alpha tocopherol/day) of vitamin E will interfere with vitamin K production, which controls blood clotting. I don't expect it's life threatening unless you are of a susceptible group or megadosing with ridiculous amounts (e.g. already on warfarin, massive doses of vit.e, >50g/day etc)

Even then, 1 gram of orally administered vit. E is a lot...

Transdermal and topical vit.e as used in creams, lotions etc will have somewhat of a diminished effect from its decreased ability to actually reach the circulation (gets stuck in the skin/fatty tissues)