• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

To trust or not to trust...

I don't approach people with the thought that they may not be trustworthy however I would never trust someone straight away; that just seems far too naive to me. There's a difference between being wary and being paranoid though.

I've had my trust broken by someone I trusted implicitly and I think it's one of the most awful feelings in the world. Noone likes to feel exposed and betrayed.

I tend to extend a limited amount of trust initially in any relationship, friendship or otherwise. Then once I've had enough time to make more of a character assessment I usually will either trust the person or no longer choose to have contact with them. But of course, prior to becoming friends or anything else with someone, I usually make a concerted effort of working out whether they are the kind of person who I'd deem trustworthy in the first place. No point having people you can't trust around.

-plaz out-

I'm trusting up to a point. That is I'll trust most new people I meet fairly easily, to a certain degree anyway. I mean I wouldn't trust them with my life, but that's a given hey? However the moment someone breaks trust, they rarely have a chance of regaining it with me. Too bad, so sad.

i feel i have this 6th sence on trusting people, but i have been proved wrong many times.

I was thinking do think you cant trust your own self........for example secrets,

I find the best way to pick someone if you can trust them..................is if they ever say to you, "Oh did ya hear.........but please dont say anything"

Trust in God, but lock your car....

I normally allocate people a fair amount of trust straight up, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to see if they are worthy of it.

A quote I use fairly often is "If you loan someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it". I apply this same kind of logic to trusting someone. As BBG said, I'm not going to trust a total stranger with my life, but I find one of the best ways to find out if you can trust someone is to put them in a position where they could abuse that trust if they were so inclined. Of course sometimes this means I get burnt, but it's normally a limited burn (and one that I have at least considered, if not expected), and I now know not to trust them with anything greater.

endlesseulogy said:
I have always trusted people way too much.. Im slowly learning that there is nothing wrong with assuming the worst in someone.
I think that's a pretty sad way to begin a relationship when you meet people (and contrary to what I would have expected from your normally Karma-oriented views). In my experience if you expect the worst of people anyway, they generally have less hesitation in delivering the worst, since they have nothing to lose. By contrast, I've always found that when people realise that you trust them, they are more likely to act in a way that will maintain that trust.

In a way (obviously not universally, there are still a fair number of opportunistic arseholes out there) you are starting a self fulfilling prophecy through how you act towards someone. As in most aspects of human interaction, peoples behaviour towards you is largely influenced by your (conscious or unconscious) behaviour towards them.

OK, now that I've set myself up as a benevolent all-trusting guy, I'll make mention of the fact that if that trust is broken, it's damn near impossible to earn back. In a relationship, whether romantic, platonic or anything else, if someone betrays that trust, then that undermines the strongest part of the relationship. Once someone lies to me, I have a very hard time maintaining any kind of relationship with them beyond civility.

I've been in several relationships in the past where the trust I have has been betrayed by way of blatant lies in regards to something that is/was an important thing at the time. For example: lying about specific details of a relationship with someone else (in this case, cheating). To me, it would have been far more acceptable to have been sleeping with another guy, admit it, and forgiveness ensues (if possible given the circumstances), rather than lie about it. The dishonesty is far more damaging than any act of indiscretion. :

I have had close friends lie to me about the very issue they are seeking support from me in regards to. To me, this makes a mockery of the whole trust relationship, I find it nigh on impossible to maintain this friendship given the total lack of respect that this behaviour conveys to me.

Wow... no wonder it took me so long to reply to this (great :)) topic, apparently I have a fair bit to say on the issue.

Pop Popavich said:
I have had close friends lie to me about the very issue they are seeking support from me in regards to. To me, this makes a mockery of the whole trust relationship, I find it nigh on impossible to maintain this friendship given the total lack of respect that this behaviour conveys to me.

I find this really annoying. If someone volunteers information/ a segment of their life to me... why wouldn't they give me a truthful story?

If I like someone, I like them. Chances are I don't really care about outside shit that doesn't really involve or concern me. I don't mean I don't care about my friends problems... because that I do, just that I'm rather indifferent when I'm not involved.

If they need support, I'll happily give them support - it will be my pleasure - but I'll give that regardless of the circumstances. If they fucked up, I'll probably just say something like "oh well.. shit happens, you're a good person deep down".

People in my life don't need to lie or put a spin on the truth to get my support.

Doppelganger said:
People in my life don't need to lie or put a spin on the truth to get my support.
That was the point I was getting at. If the person has come to me for support, chances are it's because I'm friends with them, and I'm not going to hold a fuck-up against them, everyone fucks up.

Once they lie to me about it in order to gain more sympathy though (especially when dishonesty was what caused the issue in the first place), then I have a hard time finding it within myself to give that support (or ongoing trust/friendship for that matter).

I have no time for people who are dishonest with me. :|

I used to trust straight away and very easily and to everyone i met. I had the "innocent till proven guilty" theory. Always was optimistic and positive and because i am a faithful, open and honest person and wouldn't do things (on purpose anyway) to people i just didn't expect others to do it to me. Naive yes, but i preferred to be this way then suss on everyone. I didn't want to live like that and view people that way.

BUT

Now i find it hard to trust and it's only from one incident but it was a major manipulation and decietful thing that i never dreamed was possible and i guess i never really got fucked over by anyone before so i didn't think it would happen to me but it did. Now i'm worried that i'm going to be paranoid and suss in relationships which makes me scared to get in one because i really don't want to be that person.

^ Nice bump Doof Queen. :) I just realised that you probably know more about me than my girlfriends do here in Perth because of the LJ thing. Strange since we have not met- but sometimes itd easier to be more open about things, especially delicate issues with someone that is a little anonymous than someone you hang around with all the time.

I keep a lot of things private from my family and friends as I just dont want them to know that maybe Im not the perfect daughter, I have fucked up a few times, maybe I dont tell people things when I just dont want them to know. Its not a trust issue, more of a privacy issue.

I tell people things when I am comfortable with them and maybe they can relate.

I have been blackmailed before, by someone I have known for many years and did consider a good friend, which is why that person had that information about me. So anyone can abuse trust at any time. I am just more wary of what I divulge and maybe some things should never be talked about with anyone.

i trust everyone to be themselves, but i don't trust myself to know what that is until i feel i've figured out what makes them tick.

Although this is slightly off-topic, there are 2 things i realised along time ago.

1, if you tell one person who is in a relationship some information, they WILL tell their significant other.

2, best friends share everything

Once i realized these things it made things a little simpler for me.
I usually confide and tell my secrets to a friend that is seperate to all my other social groups, so even if she wanted to black mail me, she pretty much couldnt. Not that she ever would.

Try having your best mate date your girlfriends best mate.
Every person tells the other person everything.
The most horrible chinese whispers i have ever come accross in my life.

Trust is an odd thing - I've been fucked over numerous times in the past by friends, particularly at school and college, but I've always maintained a basic belief that most people I meet are nice and worth trusting. It goes with my stance that the majority of people are good at heart.

When it comes to trusting my friends now, I'll go with my gut feelings about the situation. I have some friends who I trust implicitly, but they are people who have earned that level of trust over time and there aren't many of them. That said, I am a very open person and I do share a lot of what makes me who I am with those around me. So, I suppose that I must trust my friends to not to fuck me over and use that personal stuff against me like it has been in the past.

In regards to relationships, I'm the opposite of Muzby, I'll trust my boyfriends pretty quickly. I've been incredibly fortunate to have had two major relationships where trust wasn't an issue, despite for times living far apart - hell, I'd trust these guys even now. I haven't seen one for over a year and one for over 5 years, but I know that I'd still trust them, even though we're just friends now. They were simply nice honest blokes.

To me, if you can't trust the person you're dating, then you shouldn't be dating them at all. I've been through one relationship where my trust was repeatedly broken and their lying hurt me more than anything else this person did. I stayed with him as he gave me reason after reason why the lies weren't his fault. Looking back I should have walked away when my trust was broken initially, hindsight's great isn't it? Still, it's reiterated to me that the one of the most essential parts of a relationship to me is the trust. No trust, no happy Nursey.

Good question.

I am a very good reader of people, usually i can tell within the first few minutes of meeting someone whether or not they are trustworthy. I feel i am a very trusting person untill someone gives me reason not to trust them.

I trust all my friends completely, without doubt. I know they would never back stab me and i know that they would always tell me the truth no matter if it hurt me or not.

In relationships i am also trusting of my partner to never deliberately hurt me. I dont feel any boyfriend i have ever had would have ever cheated on me, and they didnt. I think this has more to do with the other person rather them my trust level.

For example, i have been with guys outside of a relationship and i know for a fact that the reason i would not commit to them is because they are not the type of person i could trust. I cant trust a player type because i know that commitmant is not their strong point ;). Therefore to me, its about knowing who you can and cant trust and then accommodating to that.

Different people provoke different levels of trust in you, some people you would trust with your life and others you wouldnt trust them at all.

I guess you just guage it person by person.

And i cant help but think that if you've been fucked over one too many times then there is a pattern there & it's probably your own fault. Afterall, we teach people how to treat us.

I'm like Doppleganger, I trust far too easily - almost to a fault. I trust people instantly and without hesitation, and instantly assume the good in them, instantly assume they're telling me the truth.

Why this is, I have no idea, given the amount of times I've been fucked over in my life. My parents divorced, my best friends have lied to me, my partner of 5 years cheated on me for 4 of them, I was ripped off and kidnapped by a con-man at university; a boyfriend stole $3000 from me over several months by taking my credit card and sneaking out in the middle of the night to ATM's.

Yet every time, it hurts for a little while (or in the case of the cheating, quite a long while) then I get over it. My trust in humanity seems infallible.

I think it's a personality thing. I don't think I'll ever change - this is who I am. If I meet you, unless you give me a damn good reason, I will instantly like you and believe in you. For this reason I stay right away from situations I know I will be suckered, because I can be and often am; and I surround myself with people who have good judgement of character.

mindbodysOul said:
And i cant help but think that if you've been fucked over one too many times then there is a pattern there & it's probably your own fault. Afterall, we teach people how to treat us.

That's a very good point - it took me a while when I was younger to realise what I wanted (and deserved) out of friendships and how to get that. I was badly bullied as a child/teen and because of that I clung to 'friendships' irrespective of how I was treated. Over the past 10 years I've had to break those patterns of behaviour and come to a place where I feel confident to tell people to fuck off if they treat me badly and aren't trustworthy.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
I'm like Doppleganger, I trust far too easily - almost to a fault. I trust people instantly and without hesitation, and instantly assume the good in them, instantly assume they're telling me the truth.

Why this is, I have no idea, given the amount of times I've been fucked over in my life. My parents divorced, my best friends have lied to me, my partner of 5 years cheated on me for 4 of them, I was ripped off and kidnapped by a con-man at university; a boyfriend stole $3000 from me over several months by taking my credit card and sneaking out in the middle of the night to ATM's.

Yet every time, it hurts for a little while (or in the case of the cheating, quite a long while) then I get over it. My trust in humanity seems infallible.

I think it's a personality thing. I don't think I'll ever change - this is who I am. If I meet you, unless you give me a damn good reason, I will instantly like you and believe in you. For this reason I stay right away from situations I know I will be suckered, because I can be and often am; and I surround myself with people who have good judgement of character.

That's a wonderful quality! My current partner is just like that :) Don't ever change, just change the places you look for appriciation of your trust. The world needs more people like you.

zephyr said:
^ Nice bump Doof Queen. :) I just realised that you probably know more about me than my girlfriends do here in Perth because of the LJ thing. Strange since we have not met- but sometimes itd easier to be more open about things, especially delicate issues with someone that is a little anonymous than someone you hang around with all the time.

yeah, you know me quite well too :)

I hope we DO meet one day :)

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:

I totaly used to be like that up until the last six months/year. I'm amazed you still have that view when you have gone through so many people pissing on you from a great height. I miss that about myself.