Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

To lie or not to lie?

ashaman

Bluelighter
i remember reading a thread about how eating oranges in the middle of an acid trip will stop the trip in 30 mins.

Now, from science point of view, its practically impossible that this can happen, so it is most likely a placebo effect.

Here's the real dilema. Would you lie and tell people that eatting 2 or 3 oranges in the middle of your trip will stop it cold? Because if people believe it is true, then most likely this placebo effect would work. However, if you tell the truth, then they will doubt whether the oranges would stop the trip or not, thereby decreasing the strength of the placebo.

I mean, imagine this: a girl is having an extremely bad acid trip. she knows that eatting oranges would stop it cold, so she goes and eats it.
however, the second scenario would be the girl knowing that oranges wouldn't stop a trip- and thereby doubting the technique. Because of the doubt, the placebo effect wouldnt work and she's stuck in a nightmare trip.

What do you guys think?

The effect of any drug/experience/place/scene etc etc can be propogated heavily by the simple power of the mind.

A moderate acid trip can be stopped simply if the user has the will power to want it to stop. Acid is a highly subjective drug and no two times taking it will ever be the same. The mind controls the whole experience, unlike cannabis which carries an unmistakeable body load and a distinct mind altering capacity that is difficult to rid yourself of with the mind.

Basically I can see no harm in telling someone misinformation like this. The potential for damage by eating oranges is fairly minimal. If it works, it's most likely the power of the mind bending the trip, if it doesn't work then there's no harm done really.

In the interests of helping someone, I don't think there's anything morally wrong with this. The only potential damage I can see is how they'll react when they find out you didn't have complete faith in what you were saying... Which is a risk everyone can weigh up themselves.

In the interests of helping someone, I don't think there's anything morally wrong with this. The only potential damage I can see is how they'll react when they find out you didn't have complete faith in what you were saying... Which is a risk everyone can weigh up themselves.

If they were having a bad trip I'm sure they wouldn't mind being lied to. Well I know I wouldn't.

I wouldn't say it would stop the trip completely, because if she had the oranges and it didn't work then it would have a potentially greater adverse effect thinking that the trip would never end, even with your 'magical' cure. It is best to take someone tripping hard out of environments with lots of stimuli, ie. somewhere calm and quiet, and reassure them and comfort them. If you wanted to give them some kind of placebo to help that would be fine, just make sure you tell them it will ease the trip rather than make it stop completely. If you buy the ticket, take the ride.

If you buy the ticket, take the ride.

Problem with that is lots of people don't know what they are in for until it's too late. I choose not to take drugs with these people but if for some reason I did (which I wouldn't. :)) I think taking them away from anything stimulating as you said and telling them to eat oranges or something similar is a good idea.

well first time i took a pill the girl i was with told me that eating a banana would bring you down straight away, at the rave i was at they were selling fruit, mostly bananas and i couldnt understand why people kept buying heaps of them, i was thinking whoa, lots of people must be having bad pills.....but i think that if i had have had a bad night that i would have eaten a banana and brought myself down, just because i believed that it would *silly me* i am sure that this orange placebo effect would work to the same extent...mind over matter

In this situation it is easier to simply offer a vitamin tablet as a valium, you achieve the same desired placebo affect without propogating unnecessary misinformation.

kryalkastleE said:
well first time i took a pill the girl i was with told me that eating a banana would bring you down straight away, at the rave i was at they were selling fruit, mostly bananas and i couldnt understand why people kept buying heaps of them

ahaha :)

Hypothetically, having no emotional attachment to said girl, i would tell the truth. Here is why:

If the girl has a bad trip, if she isn't completely wacked already, she will most likely not ingest the substance again. Although hard in the short term (ie having to deal with a bad trip), in the long term this effectively makes her trip a good one, as she now knows not to fuck with stuff she cannot handle. She has learned something about the substance, and about herself.

I would try and talk her through the trip.

I realise this isn't always the best option, but like i said, this is a hypothetical. ;)

The other real problem is everyone these days seem to think that oranges and orange juice will stop anything. A heard of a story recently of a friend close to overdosing on G, he was at the point of vomitting, and his 'friends' just left him outside of the club. A bouncer told a friend of mine who was looking after him that orange juice will solve the problem, however we all know that there aint much you can do with a G overdose.

But the placebo effect should not be brushed off too lightly. The only problem is when people find out that it's not true it never works again!!

Get Respiridone, an anti-psycotic that blocks dopamine and 5ht2 receptors, exactly what you need when you are having a bad trip.

I have read in medical books that doctors give this drug to people in hospital who are having a bad trip.

Mind you, trying to convince a person that is having a bad trip to take this little white pill is probably going to be hard work... they are usually very paranoid.

You might have to hold them down with a few friends and force it down their throat... remember mad people fight with the strength of 6 men so your friends better be strong...

I wouldn't take Risperidone/Risperdal. In my opinion, anti-psychotic drugs such as these have too many potentially dangerous side-effects* which while unlikely to manifest when taking small doses for short periods of time, are too serious to neglect considering. I don't think that it's worth the risk, just to save yourself a couple of hours of discomfort due to your own psychedelic drug overindulgence. Take less LSD instead.

If you get given the drug in hospital then it's not your show anyway. Perhaps the risks aren't as great with Risperdal as I am led to believe, but I would recommend against self-medicating with anti-psychotics in general. You won't overdose and die from taking too much LSD, so an 'antidote' is NOT an emergency necessity (c.f. heroin/narcan).

BigTrancer :)

-----------------
* e.g., 1. neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS - clinical effects include hyperpyrexia, muscle rigidity, altered mental status, and evidence of autonomic instability; irregular pulse or blood pressure, tachycardia, diaphoresis, and cardiac dysrhythmia).
e.g., 2. tardive dyskinesia (TD - a neurological syndrome marked by slow, rhythmical, automatic stereotyped movements, either generalized or in single muscle groups, potentially irreversible jerky spasming of the muscles). The risk of developing tardive dyskinesia and the likelihood that it will become irreversible are believed to increase as the duration of treatment and the total cumulative dose of antipsychotic drugs administered to the patient increase. However, the syndrome can develop, although much less commonly, after relatively brief treatment periods at low doses. [From RxList.com --> Risperidone]

Last edited: