• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc To all of the older members here at Bluelight:

TinyPinkMermaid

Bluelighter
Hi!

I've had a couple conversations about this before in passing, once in treatment with an elderly gentleman maybe in his 60s or 70s, and once today with a friend who was wondering the same thing.

It started off today talking about the discontinuation of quaaludes and about the reaction it had on Kate Hudson in "Almost Famous," and then about how they no longer make them.

I'm just wondering what kind of drugs were available to you older folks in your era. (I'm 23.)
Names, classifications, effects?
The gentleman in Tx had a lot to say about them, but that was too long ago for me to remember haha.

Just out of curiosity!
23.gif

Actually the prescription drugs are pretty much the same, doctors just don't prescribe them anymore due to newer drugs that are supposed to be better and safer or less addictive.
Some of these would be Secobarbitol (reds Lily F40) they sold a rack (4 pills) for 1$ 2 of them mess U up, Benzedrine (cartwheels - amphetamine) sold a rack (10 pills) 1$ 4 of them get U wired to the hubs for 24 hrs. easy.

It's not so much what the drugs were but the quality back then such as meth back then (1966) it didn't get you so paranoid and tweeky and constantly wanting to do more, it was more like meth was meant to be that is you'd be painting the house mowing the grass doing things not just sitting in the house smoking more every 15 minutes and peeking out the windows, they don't have the chemicals anymore to the good stuff, this crap made from allergy pills, draino and lithium strips is nasty and no good as a drug and certainly your health. The acid is the same thing as the chemicals to make the older non script drugs were banned or outlawed or just regulated more the quality went downhill as cooks used other things to make these drugs, that's why I don't do those types of drugs anymore they're crap pure junk.

As T Caldrone was saying the only drug that got better is the weed, I had to stop smoking about 10 years ago due to the constant random drug screens, pills and other things like heroin and coke are easily beat but weed was the tough one. I can't wait until January when I will start drawing SS benefits and quit working I'm gonna fire up a big O'L fatty which will probably get me way too high just after 2 hits, I'm currently strung out on opiates which would never had happened if I could have been able to keep smoking weed, now because I have a script for hydrocodone and morphine I can do heroin and other opiates and not worry about the drug screens cause I have a script so that makes it OK, it's sad but true.

Not an older member, but I'm an amateur historian...

Methaqualone (quaalude,mandrax) Quinazolinone sedative. Similar in action to barbiturates, but technically of a different class of drugs. Overdoses very possible. Coordination is said to be severely impaired and sensations of pins/needles/numbness are experienced. Although, I have no empirical knowledge of this stuff. They still use this stuff in South Africa, where it's made illicitly and sold in tablets resembling "ecstasy". In fact, they even smoke it; it's called "white pipe" or something like that.

Secobarbital/Pentobarbital/Amobarbital etc. (Seconal, Nembutal,Amytal,Tuinal) Powerful barbiturate sedatives of relatively short action. Stronger/more dangerous cousins of benzodiazepines. Overdose being a very real possibility. Barbs today include phenobarbitol and butalbital - other barbs are technically still available, but in practice are almost never prescribed - both of which are long-acting and nothing to write home about. Even these are beginning to be phased out it seems. The advent of chlordiazepoxide (Librium) and especially of diazepam (Valium) was the death sentence for barbiturates ;sedative hypnotics with a more solid safety profile; overdose unlikely unless combined with other CNS depressants.

Heroin (morphine diacetate) We all know this one. W. Burroughs stated in junkie that the heroin caps he sold were of about 16% purity. This was considered unusually strong stuff according to him and the police in the novel. Also, he lived in NYC, which has historically been the heroin capitol of this country. A conservative guess would say even garbage dope is twice as potent in the present day and carries a much cheaper price tag. Burroughs sold his caps for $2.00 (~26.00 present day) when a bag today costs roughly XXX. Not to mention, hitting up doctors for prescriptions of morphine/opioids was much more easy/common.

Cannabis. A couple older guys I've worked with claim that weed was better back in their day. I don't understand how they can comment if they don't even smoke? The quality seems to have steadily improved over the years. When I used to cook, an older line cook told me when he would buy pot he'd buy a kilogram and he said this was not uncommon. So you can only assume the stuff was of poor/mediocre quality.

Amphetamines (Benzedrine, Black Beauties other names) Benzedrine inhalers were sold over the counter and contained a whopping 325mgof racemic amphetamine (50/50 d,l). I've read that consuming the contents of an entire inhaler was not uncommon. It should be noted that benzedrine was also available in the form of tablets. I believe the OTC sale of benzedrine and like amphetamine preparations ended sometime before 1970, but was being phased out years before then.

Paregoric (Camphorated Tincure of Opium, Odorized tincture of Opium) This weaker, more dilute cousin of Laudanum (Tincture of Opium, typically 10% raw opium by volume in ethanol) could be bought at certain drug-stores on a "case by case" basis. Those addicted to stronger opiates/oids could use paregoric to ease their symptoms of withdrawal. I understand codeine preparations are still sold OTC in some areas, but I'd say the relatively low strength renders the stuff useless to those with a habit.

If you go far enough back in history, say, before the Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914, all drugs/psychoactive substances were essentially legal and were bought and sold just like any other commodity. I've always said, I would like to have lived around the turn of the century. It would be an opiate run for the history books I'm sure...

Oh man, I forgot some of the really good ones. I deserve to be crucified.

Ethchlorvynol (Placidyl) Sleeping pill/sedative/hypnotic a powerful drug used to treat severe insomnia. Originally synthesized around the 1930's. Allegedly a favorite of Supreme Court Justice Renhquist. Ethchlorvynol is supposed to be a pretty good ride, but it's been off the market for a while now.

Meprobamate (Miltown, others) Used mostly as an anxiolytic. It made Wallace Laboratories a pretty penny and was at one time the most prescribed drug in the country, allegedly. Meprobamate is an active metabolite of the drug Soma (Carisoprodol). Meprobamate was considered to be considerably safer than other similar sedatives (barbiturates, quinazolinones etc.), but nonetheless was highly addictive and not overtly safe when abused.

Chlormethiazole (Heminevrin) Yet another powerful sedative. Found it's place in treatment of alcohol withdrawal but was also used as a general purpose anxiolytic. Like all of the aforementioned sedatives, it's therapeutic "window" was relatively small and death from overdose was possible. Keith Moon died of, among other things, a massive overdose of chlormethiazole prescribed to him to treat his own alcohol abstinence syndrome.

Phenmetrazine (Preludin) A stimulant drug similar in effect to amphetamines, but with much less unwanted side-effects. Users have described it as a "cleaner", "smoother" experience than amphetamine, with all of the mental stimulation and much less body stimulation. Was highly popular decades ago, but was phased out in most places in favor of meth/amphetamine. As we all know by now, the Beatles were known users of the stuff while they were building their reputation playing clubs in Hamburg, West Germany, which itself was a "sin city" of sorts. Most former cities of the Hanseatic League seem to know how to party.

It's not so much what the drugs were but the quality back then such as meth back then (1966) it didn't get you so paranoid and tweeky and constantly wanting to do more, it was more like meth was meant to be that is you'd be painting the house mowing the grass doing things not just sitting in the house smoking more every 15 minutes and peeking out the windows, they don't have the chemicals anymore to the good stuff, this crap made from allergy pills, draino and lithium strips is nasty and no good as a drug and certainly your health. The acid is the same thing as the chemicals to make the older non script drugs were banned or outlawed or just regulated more the quality went downhill as cooks used other things to make these drugs, that's why I don't do those types of drugs anymore they're crap pure junk.

As a matter of fact if you start with ephedrine/pseudoephedrine, you end up with dextro-methamphetamine which has less peripheral side effects than the racemate, so it shouldn't be crap at all if it's done properly. All other major routes yield the racemate. I doubt that unreacted pseudoephedrine or any halogenated intermediate might cause more paranoia than methamphetamine itself. So if anything, it might be the "too good" quality of meth that hooks people so fast now. Or it's the times we live in now.