Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TMA (Trimethoxyamphetamine) and it's Isomers in Australia

PsiloSubNaut

Bluelight Crew
Many of you may not have heard about TMA (Trimethoxyamphetamine) or it's isomers...

I have been hearing more and more about this substance being available on our streets and I thought I would help school you in case you do happen to come across it.

TMAs, also known as trimethoxyamphetamines, are a family of isomeric psychedelic hallucinogenic drugs. There exist six different TMAs that differ only in the position of the three methoxy groups: TMA, TMA-2, TMA-3, TMA-4, TMA-5, and TMA-6. The TMAs are analogs of the phenethylamine cactus alkaloid mescaline. The TMAs are substituted amphetamines, however, their action does not resemble that of the unsubstituted compound amphetamine, which is a stimulant and not a psychedelic. It is reported that some TMA's elicit a range of emotions ranging from sadness to empathy and euphoria. Several TMAs were first synthesized by the chemist Alexander Shulgin. Synthesis data as well as human activity data has been published in the book PiHKAL (Phenethylamines i Have Known And Loved).

The most important TMA compound from a pharmacological standpoint is TMA-2, as this isomer has been much more widely used as a recreational drug and sold on the black market and as a "research chemical"; TMA (sometimes referred to as "mescalamphetamine") and TMA-6 have also been used in this way to a lesser extent. These three isomers are significantly more active as hallucinogenic drugs, and have consequently been placed onto the illegal drug schedules in some countries such as the Netherlands and Japan. The other three isomers TMA-3, TMA-4 and TMA-5 are not known to have been used as recreational drugs to any great extent, and remain obscure scientific curiosities
source

I first used TMA-2 in the mid 00's in North America and I have since used both TMA and TMA-6. I find this family of drugs to be a lot like mescaline, but with a stimulative/chemical buzz which the cacti phenethylamine mescaline, doesn't seem to produce. I will also add that I prefer mescaline over TMA from my personal experiences with these substances.

All in all, there hasn't been a great deal of research done on these drugs and I suggest that you be very cautious if you do decide to try them.

DO NOT take TMA with MAOI's. This is a potentially deadly combo.

Further reading on erowid

Don't be tricked into buying Asarone product which claim they will be metabolised into TMA-2

Would you care to elaborate on that thickskin?

I started the thread because I had spoken to a few people who had recently tried TMA-2/TMA-6 or had been offered it this year.

Isn't Asarone a treatment for typhoid and diptheria?

*edit* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asarone :\

the name sounds similar to the RC names of late (mephed-rone, naphy-rone etc)

There are sites selling 'psychedelic' herb mixtures with Acorus Calamus saying the it contains concentrated asarone (or sometimes aserone) and states that the capsules are 18 times stronger than mescaline.

That comes down to simply not believing everything you read...

If it sounds too god to be true it usually is.

If there was a known drug, 18 times stronger than mescaline, without any other side effects, it would already be well entrenched in the psychedelic scene and I would take my morning swim in it :)

Please keep on topic

You could say they are similar in effects. Both 2C's and TMA's are related to mescaline

For me, TMA-2 felt a fair bit like 2C-B but the visuals weren't as colourful

Please keep on topic

I mentioned it because these sites explicitly state it converts into TMA-2, and the wide variety of herbs in them could cause unexpected side effects, especially bad stomach cramping/nausea from the calamus.

Remember when you put these things up people may try to find a place to purchase them and these types of capsules are reasonably common on the internet in searches for TMAs

edit: I probably should have stated the 18 times stronger than mescaline thing is because they state TMA-2 is 18 times stronger than mescaline, and claim it will be produced from their products

Sorry for being so blunt thickskin, but I am truly against most of those sites and believe anyone using them is, for the most part, being conned. Anyone who is willing to risk their health by believing what a site claims can go right ahead. I am here for harm reduction and those sites fly in the face of that.

TMA-2 is more potent (less needed for an effect) than mescaline but I would not say it is 18 times stronger than mescaline. This is all up for debate though

Common doses for TMA's are between 10 and 50mg, mescaline 300-500mg+ (note that the toxic dose for TMA could be only a bit more than the active dose)

beta-Asarone, a propylene benzene, is to TMA-2 what isosafrole is to MDA. It is relatively toxic and any internal use should be carefully weighed up against the risks.

It doesn't produce TMA-2 in-vivo

Bioanalytical investigation of asarone in connection with Acorus calamus oil intoxications.

Björnstad K, Helander A, Hultén P, Beck O.

Alcohol Laboratory, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
Abstract

Preparations of the plant Acorus calamus (calamus or sweet flag) (A. calamus) are available via internet trade and marketed as being hallucinogenic. In 2003-2006, the Swedish Poisons Information Centre received inquiries about 30 clinical cases of intentional intoxication with A. calamus products. The present investigation aimed to identify alpha- and beta-asarone, considered active components of A. calamus, and metabolites thereof in urine samples collected in seven of these cases. To further aid the identification of asarone biotransformation products, a calamus oil preparation was incubated with the fungus Cunninghamella elegans, which is used as a microbial model of mammalian drug metabolism. Using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis in selected ion monitoring mode, alpha-asarone was detected in five urine samples at concentrations ranging between approximately 11 and 1150 microg/L and beta-asarone in four of those at approximately 22-220 microg/L. A previously identified asarone metabolite, trans-2,4,5-trimethoxycinnamic acid (trans-TMC), was detected in the fungus broth by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry whereas cis-TMC was tentatively identified in the human urine samples. Using GC-MS, a hydroxylated asarone metabolite was identified both in fungus broth and urine samples. However, this study demonstrated no evidence for the presence of 2,4,5-trimethoxyamphetamine, claimed as a hallucinogenic component of A. calamus. The main clinical symptom reported by the patients was prolonged vomiting that sometimes lasted more than 15 h.

pubmed

Thanks P_D, I was just looking into that and you bet me to it

The things people will imbibe to get high...

I have read of TMA-2 and TMA-6 a little bit, while I would definately be willing to give them ago should they become available none of my research turned up anything particularly novel or interesting to really get me keen. I certainly think they would be far from the most impressive psych's from what I have read, but could be proven wrong I suppose.

Interesting a bit of this is going around now, I have never even known anyone else (not through BL) to have heard of the stuff. Then again I have never been in the RC scene.

Most test tube psychedelics just aren't worth dosing.

TMA is one of many synthetic hallucinogens that just don't compare to the entheogens found in nature.

Yes, TMA is intense and will be an amazing experience, but if it was comparable to mescaline, psilocybin, LSD etc. we would hear a lot more about it.