• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tired of being on Benzos, period. Time to get off for good.

Ringo88

Bluelighter
So I've taken benzos daily for about 3 years. I got addicted originally because I abused Xanax during a hard time in my life. Flash forward 3 years, and I am down to 10mg of Valium a day (Equivalent to .5mg of Xanax).

Life is very depressing a lot of the time, and my cognitive abilities have diminished greatly. I know it's the Valium. It's time I get off this shit for good. I've got a goal, and I aim to complete it, and take my life back.

A lot of good has happened to me in the past year. I achieved a certification in the IT field, I've gotten a full time job, and finally have my own apartment. A lot of things have happened, things I thought might never come to pass.

It's time to get off this shit though. Benzos are great for occasional use, but my body is dependent on them, I take them to feel normal.

I was thinking of dropping 1mg every two weeks, until I'm completely off. I currently am on 10mg.

Is there anything that can help me while tapering? Keep in mind, I am prescribed Valium by a medical professional, so I'm not getting it off the streets or anything like that.

Just wanted to post this, because, well, I want someone to know that I'm through with this stupid fucking pill!

kratom helped me with benzo withdrawal but be very careful you dont get addicted to kratom. Marijuana was also helpful if you are marijuana smoker.

SOme other potential treatments which you need to be extremely careful with:

kava - kava is wonderful herb much greater than benzos but it does work on GABA receptor so it might intefere with recovery.

Valerian - same issue as above

amanita muscaria - also has some effect on gaba receptor but is a very powerful healer

psilocybin mushroom - no effect on GABA can help re-awaken parts of the brain that get shut down from benzo

That's a low dose. Just cold turkey and if you get anxious ( I mean anxious enough that you would consider hurting yourself or going to a hospital ) take 10 mg valium. Doesn't sound like your really going to have much if any withdrawal from that dosage and it would be easy to quit if u just put some effort into it. Good luck :)

An SSRI (if you're not already on one) should help soften the blow but wouldnt recommend it long term unless you have MDD or something of the like. If you're still having panic attack issues I find that a low dose AP (ocasionally, not all the time as APs can screw ya up) can have quite a calming effect similar to a benzo but are also very sedating typicallly so be careful with that. I recommend this just as a replacement in a panic attack situation where you would be tempted to waver from your taper plan and take a higher benzo dose.

I know these are some heavy meds that I'm suggesting but they are what worked for me in the past and by all means if you can acoomplish your goals the homeopathic route then go for it. I'm no doctor so don't take this as solid medical advice but I have been (curently am actually) dependent on benzos and have succesfully tapered off using the tools mentioned.

SOLID plan on the taper by the way, sounds good.

Last edited:
That's a low dose. Just cold turkey and if you get anxious ( I mean anxious enough that you would consider hurting yourself or going to a hospital ) take 10 mg valium. Doesn't sound like your really going to have much if any withdrawal from that dosage and it would be easy to quit if u just put some effort into it. Good luck :)

dude hes been on benzo three years, he will probably have to go through hell to get off. low dosage doesnt stop your body from getting dependent believe me.

^
Yep. I gotta get my use down to PRN only. I was fine and have been scripted 90 Xanax a month regulary and only used them as needed but since some recent life changes, frequent opiate withdrawals, and having around 1000 Etizest-1 in my possession I've found myself physically dependent. My doc and I have a real good relationship/trust level so I don't wanna tell him about it since the end game will probably result in my being cut off benzos after taper. I guess I'll just order another 500 Etizest-1 and do my own slow taper. Thankfully I have a good source (I'm not sourcing) where I can get them rediculously cheap, just takes some time and a trip through customs to get here.

So I've taken benzos daily for about 3 years. I got addicted originally because I abused Xanax during a hard time in my life. Flash forward 3 years, and I am down to 10mg of Valium a day (Equivalent to .5mg of Xanax).

Life is very depressing a lot of the time, and my cognitive abilities have diminished greatly. I know it's the Valium. It's time I get off this shit for good. I've got a goal, and I aim to complete it, and take my life back.

A lot of good has happened to me in the past year. I achieved a certification in the IT field, I've gotten a full time job, and finally have my own apartment. A lot of things have happened, things I thought might never come to pass.

It's time to get off this shit though. Benzos are great for occasional use, but my body is dependent on them, I take them to feel normal.

I was thinking of dropping 1mg every two weeks, until I'm completely off. I currently am on 10mg.

Is there anything that can help me while tapering? Keep in mind, I am prescribed Valium by a medical professional, so I'm not getting it off the streets or anything like that.

Just wanted to post this, because, well, I want someone to know that I'm through with this stupid fucking pill!

I'm in the same boat and have been prescribed 4mgs of Clonazepam for a year as well as Gabapentin. After being through this multiple times, my advice is to TAPER SLOW, even if it takes months. I've been on a taper for 4 months and I'm over 20 days clean from Gabapentin (RX'ed dose was 3,200mgs a day) and I've lowered my kpin dosage down to 1mg in the morning and 1.125 mgs at night (total 2.125mgs a day)....Someone suggested kratom and I would avoid it to be honest albeit kratom is extremely effective and has anxiolytic properties, however it can become an expensive and nasty addiction. Keep your mind busy, diet, drink water, exercise, and keep committed. What I did was but a 7 day pill organizer with both AM and PM slots and fill them with my dosages at the beginning of each week. I've also found that taking them at the exact time each day helps tremendously. Even though marijuana usually makes me anxious and paranoid, it has helped me fall asleep during the taper....

If you want more detailed advice, PM me.

Good luck and keep your head up. This is my last run with benzos...After this taper, I'm done as they have no effect and after years of on and off use/abuse...I could take 10mgs of kpins or 4mgs of xanax and barely "feel" it.

Im currently tapering from 8mg xanax a day and 30mg temazepam a night. I am keeping the temazepam as it still works, but it doesnt matter how much xanax I take...I still feel fucked in the head. I am going a little to quick I think. Last week all eights...this week all sevens....I have a plethora of other benzos at my disposal but none of them work and I know they will just perpetuate my struggle.

Right now, I the symptoms I am experiencing are not that bad. They could be worse I think. I am just very forgetful, I have crazy anxious moments, and I had a minor panic attack while I was shaving today. It was weird, it was like I couldn't figure out which side of my face to start shaving (I have OCD, I always start on the left side...same with brushing my teeth, and washing my body) and it was like I couldn't remember so I started having the trigger symptoms like racing thoughts and intense fear of impending doom...but then my step dad came in the bathroom because I was in there for so long...and him just touching me on my shoulder snapped me back into reality. That was kinda scary and I hope it doesn't happen more.