• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tinnitus - mega thread

ok was today at doctor,she gave me 40mg gingko 3x a day.... tomorow morning I am going to neurologic check,they said something about it may originate from my neck spine,so wish me brain cancer becose you hate me

Had it for years. I have what sounds like a grainy industrial tone in my right ear and ringing in my left. Don't notice it during the day, unless it's painfully quiet, but it's very noticeable in bed at night. I can use it to build auditory hallucinations...musical sounds, etc. It's very similar to listening to a kettle boil or sitting next to the bath when it's running. You can build sensical audio from the tones. Other than that, it's a F***n pain in the Ass :)

I remember the first time being aware that i had tinnitus. I think i was about 8 or 9 ( i am 22 now). it has always been a mixture of very high pitched noises and it is always there but it doesn't bother me. sometimes after a night out and there has been very loud music the next day on a hangover i get a particular high pitched noise that stands out from the rest and it is extremely annoying. it only lasts for the day though and i'm fine the day after. Apart from that i have come to get used to my tinnitus. Maybe it's because i can't remember the last time i didn't have it, therefore how would i know what it's like?

Well there are many things which can reduce this problem.. If you are a smoker then quite smoking and also stop drinking alcohol. Exercise daily because it helps to blood flow in all small parts of body. Ignore that sounds by converting your attention to other things.

bowel movements remedies

Last edited:
?s about Clonazepam withdrawal/tinnitus

New member. Very glad to find this website. Not sure where to post my information request. Here is my story: I'm 65 years old, female, separated 3 years from my husband who is my business partner in the health care field. My primary health issue is hypothyroidism. Other than that I'm in decent health. I don't smoke or drink. I've never been a recreational user of benzos, but was prescribed them due to refusal of an HMO to test me for hormone levels when I started a health slide in my 40s. I was suffering from fatigue, sleep issues, weight gain, depression, and developed terrible anxiety and panic attacks. The HMO docs sent me to outpatient psychiatric and started me down a very inappropriate road of benzos. I was put on Xanax and then Amitriptyline, and was able to withdraw slowly from the Xanax on my own in 18 months. I was finally sleeping. But nothing was done about checking my hormone levels. After some improvement, I went into a slide again and was given Clonazepam for panic disorder, 13 years ago. I grew worse and was up to 2-3mg for awhile, I think using some in the daytime and some at night, but tapered down on my own to 1mg over several months. I did not have any serious withdrawal symptoms that I can remember. I remained at 1mg only at night since about 2002. The major issues of very low thyroid hormone and female hormones was not discovered until 2000, and I was prescribed the standard Synthroid type medication, which is synthetic T4 only. It failed me over the next 4 year and I grew slowly worse, with continued panic attacks and sleep issues. I have been with better doctors since 2004, the best so far since 2010, and finally started to feel more like my old self with greatly increased hormones, a change to porcine thyroid hormone which worked much better, and more of my supportive vitamins and minerals. At one point I was off of the Amitriptyline, but then had to go back and chose to go to Nortriptyline, which I have been on since 2002, currently 52.50mg. After researching, I found that the symptoms of anxiety, sleep issues, and panic attacks can be from too low female hormone. My previous doctors had kept me way under-medicated and constantly being tortured by insufficient hormone support. My life has been totally different since switching to my current doctor, and I was feeling so much better in 2012 and into this spring. My current doctor prefers synthetic T3 only thyroid medication and encouraged me to finally switch when I felt up to it. So I was able to do that very easily by May of this year. But, in 13 years, no doctor ever said I should come off of the Clonazepam. They all said, "Not now, perhaps later, or perhaps never. You can be ok if you never get off of it, don't worry." I know they felt I was never well enough to do it.

Then in July of this year, an unfortunately medication error occurred. I was mistakenly given a time release version of the T3 and didn't notice it, and it started to interfere with sleep. I grew increasingly sleep deprived into July. I checked bottles carefully, noticed the error and told my doctor. The correct med was taken within 5 days. However, within those 5 days, on a Sunday, when I put my week's worth of pill towers together, since I was so goofed out from lack of sleep, I completely forgot to add my Clonazepam! Never happened before in 13 years. As each day progressed, I had worse sleep and was growing more anxious. I had started my new T3 med and thought it would have taken care of the insomnia. It grew worse. I was really filled with anxiety and disorientation. The next Sunday, thank God, something within me realized that I had not taken my Clonazepam. In a panic, I called one of the RN's who works for us and asked her what to do. Since she also took Clonazepam for leg muscle seizures related to kidney dialysis, she told me I must take something to prevent worsening symptoms and seizures. I decided on .25mg and within 90 minutes I felt quite fine again like normal. She told me to keep some .25mg by my bedside in case I needed them for worsening symptoms and to take them. I slept 9 hours that night and was feeling great. I went maybe 1 week feeling fine at .25mg and then started having vertigo/dizziness, and a friend witnessed this once and said my eyes rolled back so I think it was a seizure. Within another week I was not feeling so good so took another .125mg, again, only at night, and everything settled down pretty well. The dizziness stopped. However depression reared its ugly head and got bad, along with some anxiety. I felt very separated from reality. I lost my management function and cannot get things done like I used to. I'm falling behind in my work. Thank god the panic attacks have not returned. However, tinnitus started up and has been my biggest complaint. I work at home and become mesmerized by the TV to block out the tinnitus. I have gone several days without it showing up, and then several days it returns. Some days its very low, other days like the last 3 it's been very loud and keeps me awake. Or it will start up in the morning and wake me. I did not get to sleep until 7am Friday morning. Then when it quieted down, I slept 5 hours. It was up and down today in volume, loud right now. I dread trying to get to sleep tonight. When it's loud it locks me down for the days I have it, I feel drained and miserable. Depression is worse. I've read some blogs where folks claim that you can have it the rest of your life, and that scares me terribly. I am thinking about taking 1/16 mg more to see if it will ease the tinnitaus and depression. Every day I have it and don't sleep well, I grow more drained and depressed. I don't know if I can hang on with this in my life all the time. I don't know anything about tinnitus or how it can be treated in the case of long term use of benzos. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday for a follow up on my thyroid med change progress, and will talk to him about the tinnitus.

I would like to find out if any others have experienced tinnitus from withdrawal from Clonazepam or other benzos, and how long they had it, did it finally reduce or go away, did they have to increase the benzo a bit to find relief. I remember reading the Ashton protocol and I think she said that if you go back up on the benzo, you risk needing to take more than what you took before. I know the cold turkey withdrawal was dangerous but I didn't intend to do that. I am now caught between wanting to avoid going back up, but needing to try to get better and back to a fuller work load and I need to sleep. I just don't know how to think about this. I don't feel a physical dependency issue per se, but a desire to make this horrid hissing in my head go away. I would appreciate any ideas, sharing of experiences, or suggestions of other threads or areas to check for the tinnitus issue. Wow, sorry this is such a long post. Thanks much!

They say that tinnitus is mostly a neural thing but I have noticed some interesting connections in my practice. Modern research shows that tinnitus is ultimately due to blockages in the micro-circulation in the ear, but this finding lacks differentiation. In my experience there are many sub-sets of reasons for why the micro-circulation gets blocked in the first place.

If the neck muscles and tendons are extremely tight, tinnitus can result... especially with the trapezius muscles for some reason.

People with low blood pressure can also have tinnitus, especially on days where the atmospheric pressure is low. I think it has something to do with the fact that it's harder for nutrition to make it to the head region in people with low BP. If your tinnitus goes away when you lay down, this can be part of it. If your tinnitus sounds like water, or a low whooshing sound, then it has to do with low BP usually. Sometimes if I go without eating for too long I start hearing this whooshing, and as soon as I eat the caloric content seems to fix it.

If your tinnitus sounds like a loud ringing then there are many potential causes, but they all tend to do with an upward rushing of adverse energy. Some people get tinnitus when they get angry. Others get it because they have high blood pressure. Menopausal women who have a lot of upward heat happening are prone to tinnitus. You can balance this out by increasing the mineral content in your diet, especially calcium, magnesium, and zinc. In eastern medicine we use oyster shell to lower down this adverse uprising qi, but the shell is just a dense collection of minerals so the concept is the same. Sometimes we use more drastic approaches such as having the patient ingest small amounts of powdered hematite or magnetite. Not only are they heavy but as they progress to the lower GI their magnetic pull brings the energy down and the tinnitus stops. Empirically this makes sense since there are many ions in the blood so they would be dragged down much like a magnetic bracelet pulls resources to the area it's worn on. The problem with these heavy minerals is that unless they are taken with a ferment of some kind, they are hard on the digestion. Also, they are quite oppressive... if taken too much or too often the person will feel like they have no energy at all.

If the tinnitus is caused by the side effects of pharmaceuticals, there's not much you can do apart from stopping the drug.

The Chinese herb ge gen (Radix Puerariae) shows promise in unblocking ear circulation, as do some nootropics like piracetam, but you can't really take them if you have high BP because they'll just make it worse. They also say that the kidneys open to the ears, so weak kidneys mean ear disorders. In some cases this is true empirically... if the kidneys aren't excreting uric acid properly then it can crystalize in the ear, causing disorders of imbalance, hearing, etc. I think this ancient understanding stems from the fact that the ear has such very tiny vesicles that if the blood has any impurities they will become lodged there. Since the ears rely on a healthy fluid dynamic and the kidneys regulate the body's water, a healthy kidney system means the ears will be less prone to micro-blocks. Generally the kidney dynamic only applies to the middle aged and seniors, but if you have a toxic diet or lifestyle (i.e. hard drugs, harsh food additives), then those impurities could make it to the ears in some people.

Last edited:
I've had it for years.

Comes from many factors honestly. there isn't just one.

Since starting on Cymbalta for anxiety and depression, I have had moderate tinnitus, predominantly in my left ear. If I'm in a quiet area it's really noticeable and annoying, but usually I can drown it out with other sounds. I've read up on it as a side effect of Cymbalta and it's reasonably common, and I'm sure it will go away if/when I go off Cymbalta. In the meantime, it's tolerable.

I'd like to know what medications tend to cause tinnitus. I took Tramadol today but I also took Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Promethazine and hydroxyzine. And I have tinnitus right now, so one of them must have caused it, but which one?

Thanks, I read the article. It was very helpful.

Just an update on the subject. Someone mentioned putting hydrogen peroxide in the ear and I knew there was something like it but I couldn't remember at the time. The product is Carbamide Peroxide ear drops. Mine came from Walgreens with a bulb ear syringe to flush out the ear with warm water. I also found it acts like a suction device if you squeeze the bulb and placing it in the ear and releaseing it. I recently had a problem it my left ear and one application and it was gone. It is available, or was , over the counter. Good luck, Ring ding ding ding ding, What does the fox say.

I've got to find this stuff. Is there a brand name to look for?

this SHOULD work, its helped me so much, no medicine or supplies needed

1.place palms over ears, fingers back of head

2.both middle finger tips barely touching each other, placed just below bottom of skull(where the top of neck meets skull)

3.keep palms covering ear hole the entire time, place index fingers on both hands on top of middle fingers and snap them down in a way that you're basically beating the back of your head like a drum, your aiming point should be just below the skull

4. do this about 25-40 times in a row and it will at very least alleviate symptoms immediately, but sometime relief is only for a few minutes, repeat as needed

here's the link to article:
http://health.learninginfo.org/tinnitus.htm

this is going to work for at least half of ya :)

^ That did help alleviate some symptoms for sure!

I recently was diagnosed with tinnitus. Previously I thought I was just "hearing silence", but when I talked to my doctor about it she diagnosed me with tinnitus. It's quite bothersome. At night right before I drift to sleep is especially when it bothers me. I hear loud bangs/noises that aren't there. During the day it's just a constant humming.

Dear all,
I have Tinnitus for one and half month. It started first night, after being prescribed Cymbalta duloxétine 60mg, Sept.10, 2016. I took the Cymbalta only two days (60 mg x 2)
On Thursday, October 13th – The tinnitus has disappeared completely at around 5 pm after one hour sleeping rest. Unfortunately, it reappeared during the night.
I would welcome your support. Which treatment can help to get rid of this side effect? What is your experience on this side effect and the duration of this Tinnitus?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
André

this SHOULD work, its helped me so much, no medicine or supplies needed

1.place palms over ears, fingers back of head

2.both middle finger tips barely touching each other, placed just below bottom of skull(where the top of neck meets skull)

3.keep palms covering ear hole the entire time, place index fingers on both hands on top of middle fingers and snap them down in a way that you're basically beating the back of your head like a drum, your aiming point should be just below the skull

4. do this about 25-40 times in a row and it will at very least alleviate symptoms immediately, but sometime relief is only for a few minutes, repeat as needed

here's the link to article:
http://health.learninginfo.org/tinnitus.htm

this is going to work for at least half of ya :)
oh my god. this totally worked. thank you so very much.

i am going to try this but i'm not overly hopeful. my tinnitus is, i'm pretty sure, due to damage to blood vessels caused by injecting too much cocaine and i can't see how anything can fix that.

anyone else got this? i sometimes find it fucking annoying at night when im trying to sleep, however some nights its louder than others. think my job has brought it on over the years
Buy some stuff at Walgreens called Debrox. You’ll thank me later. Stuff is a miracle. Most people’s ringing is cause by a build up of wax inside the ear canal. This stuff flushes it out and stops the ringing. Use it at bed time and you could wake up free of ear ringing.