• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tinnitus - mega thread

ColtDan

Bluelighter
anyone else got this? i sometimes find it fucking annoying at night when im trying to sleep, however some nights its louder than others. think my job has brought it on over the years

My gf has it...well she hasnt accepted its tinnitus but she complains about constant ringing in her ears!

yup. the human nervous system doesn't have a perfect signal to noise ratio, so you might just be noticing something that's there but ignored for most people.

I've had it for 3 years, from going to music events. It sucked at first, but I've grown accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me at all now. Also, don't bother looking for 'miracle cures' or whatever, been there and done that shit; all it did was cost me alot of money.

anyone else got this? i sometimes find it fucking annoying at night when im trying to sleep, however some nights its louder than others. think my job has brought it on over the years

I get it some times but not as bad as many people. Have you tried sleeping with a fan on or some other sort of white noise to block out the tinnitus?

wear ear plugs at shows now?

I do that and it helps a lot.

If you are on certain medications those can cause Tinnitus or make it worse.

For awhile I had it really bad but then I went to an ENT doctor to get my hearing tested since I thought it was wrecked from going to tons of shows since a teenager and not wearing earplugs but they cleaned out wax that had built up in my ears a lot and my tinnitus was gone.

You can also get it if your insulin levels are off-
If I'm hypoglycemic it gets bad.......
And if my blood sugar is too high- same thing :)

i have severe tinnitus and it sucks....but what are you gonan do... live and learn.

i have a mild case of it. most of the time i dont even notice it. have always taken good care of my ears. ear plugs are essential.

it was when i was bunking around 300 yards from the flight line in iraq that the damage happened, i believe. those fighter pilots really enjoyed laying into the throttle on their defensive tactical take offs :\

For some reason I distinctly remember experiencing troubling tinnitus when I was trying to go to sleep as a child...however that might have just been auditory hallucinations now that I think about it.

Tinnitus

was my birthday present this year. Woke up the morning of my birthday with ringing in both ears. That was a month ago.
One MRI and three different doctors later I don't know much more than I did when this first came on.
Most days I tolerate the noise though I have had to increase my dose of Klonopin from 1mg to 3-4mg per day as my anxiety level was shooting through the roof without it.

My Internist put me on Nortryptaline. Been on it for a week now and I really dont see any difference in the noise level or my perception of it. Anyone have any experience with this med and tinnitus. The literature out there is confusing. I am not sure how long folks take this med to see if it will bring relief.
The side effects suck...I am hungry as hell...and I just lost 180 pounds after having weight loss surgery, and it is constipating the crap (pun intended) out of me.

I guess I chose this forum because it is starting to look like the tinnitus is not going away anytime soon. Which is to say I am going to have to learn to live with it, preferably without having to take such high doses of benzos..and withouth the Nortryptaline,

I would welcome any and all advice from folks who are dealing iwth this issue,
Thanks

was my birthday present this year. Woke up the morning of my birthday with ringing in both ears. That was a month ago.
One MRI and three different doctors later I don't know much more than I did when this first came on.
Most days I tolerate the noise though I have had to increase my dose of Klonopin from 1mg to 3-4mg per day as my anxiety level was shooting through the roof without it.

My Internist put me on Nortryptaline. Been on it for a week now and I really dont see any difference in the noise level or my perception of it. Anyone have any experience with this med and tinnitus. The literature out there is confusing. I am not sure how long folks take this med to see if it will bring relief.
The side effects suck...I am hungry as hell...and I just lost 180 pounds after having weight loss surgery, and it is constipating the crap (pun intended) out of me.

I guess I chose this forum because it is starting to look like the tinnitus is not going away anytime soon. Which is to say I am going to have to learn to live with it, preferably without having to take such high doses of benzos..and withouth the Nortryptaline,

I would welcome any and all advice from folks who are dealing iwth this issue,
Thanks

As someone who also suffers with Tinnitus, I can really sympathise with you. I've had it for years due to problems with my ear which I really should get checked out..but I suffer with social anxiety so I've been putting it off as it will probably mean a trip to the hospital.

I know Tinnitus is notoriously difficult to treat and has many causes. The first obvious thing to check is for an ear infection or blocked ear canal from dried wax...no doubt you have done all that as you're seeing a doctor. If not, try using ear drops to soften any wax or a course of antibiotics if the ear feels tender and painful.

Some meds can cause tinnitus or make the symptoms worse, and I find any kind of stimulants (including caffeine) particularly aggravates mine. Lack of sleep and stress also makes it worse.

I've grown so used to it now it doesn't bother me much even when it's loud ringing, except when trying to get to sleep for which I take Melatonin. My solution has been to get a little hearing aid device and I just plug that in when the ringing becomes annoying and the background noise makes the tinnitus hardly unnoticeable.

As someone who also suffers with Tinnitus, I can really sympathise with you. I've had it for years due to problems with my ear which I really should get checked out..but I suffer with social anxiety so I've been putting it off as it will probably mean a trip to the hospital.

I know Tinnitus is notoriously difficult to treat and has many causes. The first obvious thing to check is for an ear infection or blocked ear canal from dried wax...no doubt you have done all that as you're seeing a doctor. If not, try using ear drops to soften any wax or a course of antibiotics if the ear feels tender and painful.

Some meds can cause tinnitus or make the symptoms worse, and I find any kind of stimulants (including caffeine) particularly aggravates mine. Lack of sleep and stress also makes it worse.

I've grown so used to it now it doesn't bother me much even when it's loud ringing, except when trying to get to sleep for which I take Melatonin. My solution has been to get a little hearing aid device and I just plug that in when the ringing becomes annoying and the background noise makes the tinnitus hardly unnoticeable.

I have read about the hearing aid like devices....scared to ask what something like that costs.

I have read about the hearing aid like devices....scared to ask what something like that costs.

I know what you mean about proper hearing aids that go over the ear being expensive. I just bought this cheap one off eBay it only cost a few pounds.. less than $10 USD.. it's quite small and fairly discreet, does the job. Only problem is I find wearing the ear phone a bit uncomfortable for long periods and it does make all the sounds around you much louder which can be a blessing at times and annoying at other times.

o6Juc.jpg

I have no hearing loss....are these sound generators or hearing amplifiers?

They are sound/hearing amplifiers, they just amplify your own hearing so things seem louder.

Even if you can hear fine without a hearing aid it still helps with tinnitus.

The way it helps is because the background noise you hear from the amplifier, causes you to stop focusing on the tinnitus ringing which effectively becomes inaudible and replaced with the background noise.

You might say, err why would you want background noise in your ear instead, isn't that just replacing one annoying noise with another?.. even though its amplified background noise, it's a lot more natural sounding than having a ringing or roaring in your ear. I find it easier to relax and go to sleep with the background noise.

I also find after using my amplifier for an hour or two, the tinnitus ringing considerably reduces even when I'm not using the amplifier. But this doesn't last long and it gradually returns again.