• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tincture of Opium (Laudanum)

Secretsquirrel24

Greenlighter
I have had a prescription for opium tincture 10% (also known as laudanum), for a long time now, due to severe diarrhea. I find the drug to be enjoyable to say the least.

I was wondering if the drug could be vaporized (and at what temperature), and if it would be worthwhile to vaporize?

I must point out that tincture of opium can be absorbed sublingually, but the taste is almost unbearable. Imagine the smell of Tarmac, but actually tasting it in your mouth! It's extremely bitter!

Wait, you have a prescription for Laudanum?

That's a pretty rare one these days, and I've been wanting to try that stuff for a while. I'm sure other drug nerds out there feel the same.

So I assume by 10% opium tincture, you mean that it's 10% opium (morphine, codeine and thebaine alkaloids) and 90% everclear or some other solvent?

If the solvent is everclear, then I would strongly advise against trying to vape it. I'm not even sure if that's possible, let alone safe (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't everclear the most commonly used solvent for Laudanum? I could be wrong here.)

I would just take it orally, but that's just be. A small amount of DPH works wonderfully for opiate potentiation. Benzos too, but if you don't have a benzo tolerace I would advise against it due the dangers involved with mixing the two.

Either way, I'm insanely jealous that you have a Laudanum script. Enjoy that stuff, my friend.

Doxylamine succinate , dxm, dyphenhydramine , and any Benzo , mix one of those or 2+ (if you have tolerance plus experience with opiates) you'll potentiate it plenty and have a fun nod. I'm so jealous by the way it's not even funny . What country you in ? And what kind of doctor prescribed it and what was the purpose it was prescribed for?

^ He actually wanted to know whether or not it could be vaporized, but yea, the substances you mentioned are sometimes used to potentiate opioids and/or remove unwanted side-effects. And, as far as being jealous over the opium tincture, there's really no need. Sure, "laudanum" is a throwback to a different era and that can be kind of interesting, but don't forget that nowadays we have a wide variety of opiate/oid pills, capsules, elixirs and injections to choose from. If you were desperate to reenact the laudanum experience, you could just pop a couple of morphine pills and take a shot of hard liquor.

In regards to the OP, I don't see why you couldn't just evaporate the solution and be left with the active ingredient, which could then, in theory, be vaporized to a certain extent like anything else. It was my understanding that tincture of opium was purely opium + ethanol, but I could be wrong. Why not run a little experiment and try to let a small amount evaporate and see what you are left with?

Invisible: He was prescribed it for severe diarrhea by the way.

^
Yes I would esteem myself lucky If i was prescribed a pair of diapers for my diarrhea.

Has the tincture been denarcotized OP? Was laudanum ever sold as a denarcotized preparation is probably what I should be finding out I suppose, Hmmm. Yes drug nerding hard over here, very jealous indeed.

And I need to know what others have asked - What country are you in SecretS24? Getting a script for diarrhoea, do you have a primary health issue that causes the condition or you just have a cool Doctor who felt you deserved something a little special because your ass is on fire? Sorry about the personal nature of the questions, feel free to ignore them.

Edit: Ok yes there is a denarcotized product which you should have, saw a gorgeous picture of the bottle on it's wiki page.

Last edited:
I'd take a pass on using it (yes, know-GASP!) but this is really interesting from a historical view point. The amounts that were used and sold in the 19th and early 20th century as tonics, aids for for anything that ailed you was impressive. There were many unintentional addicts created by use of this preparation.

I live in the United States, and my gastroenterologist prescribed it, after failing Imodium and Lomotil as treatments for diarrhea.

The compelling reason for treating it was because I was hospitalized for having critically low levels of potassium, and the diarrhea had been an ongoing issue for years.

Prior to that, I was drinking like 4-8 liters (1-2 gallons) of fluids per day to try to stay hydrated, but it obviously backfired.

I have an autoimmune disease that affects my autonomic nervous system, without going into specifics. If you google "autonomic nervous system" AND "autoimmune", you would likely find the name of the disease I have.

But the functional problem is a motility (movement) disorder, causing severe diarrhea. I would go 20 times per day sometimes.

There is a good recipe online on how to extract the opium. I appreciate the advice.

And yes, it is 10% opium and 90% ethanol, but it's not technically everclear as it is prescription goodness.

Oh, wow, that's so awesome. I wasn't even aware they still made it (I think they still make paregoric, though).
As other people have said, since it's in an alcohol base (whether a spirit or wine, as it used to be), it'd be a bad idea to vaporize it.
Doxylamine succinate , dxm, dyphenhydramine , and any Benzo , mix one of those or 2+ (if you have tolerance plus experience with opiates) you'll potentiate it plenty and have a fun nod. I'm so jealous by the way it's not even funny . What country you in ? And what kind of doctor prescribed it and what was the purpose it was prescribed for?
It may not be as big of a problem since there's not a ton of alcohol in it, but you'd be mixing opiates, benzos, and alcohol. Sound like a bad idea to me.

I'd take a pass on using it (yes, know-GASP!) but this is really interesting from a historical view point. The amounts that were used and sold in the 19th and early 20th century as tonics, aids for for anything that ailed you was impressive. There were many unintentional addicts created by use of this preparation.
Yeah I remember seeing some movie on PBS that took place in this era where one of the main characters was heavily addicted to the stuff. Kind of a weird flick, can't remember the name offhand. I remember it used to show him take a bit and he'd slip into some sort of dream like state and trip out. Wonder what the opium ratio was back then, lol.

If you evaporate the ethanol on a double boiler you should be able to sscrape the residue up and smoke it.

I also get 180ml laudanum prescribed monthly. I sometimes soak a cigarette then dry it out in the oven (slowly and carefully). About 1ml of laudanum per cigarette. Seems to have more effect/bioavailability than taking 1ml orally.

Yup. One manufacturer in USA. Grandfathered in by FDA. Used only for chronic diarrhea and highly diluted for babies born in withdrawal. I have been using it per script for about 4 years.