• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Those who quit suboxone....

Yes, with the help of loads of deschloroketamine it went unnoticeable. But buprenorphine really is good in keeping depressive thought concepts away, it took a while until I realized that cause it's not a mood lift but the absence of negative things which led me to think it does nothing but at the same time I was above my usual below baseline.

Actually you may be right. Some believe that subs is causing their depression while others claim it helps it. I think subs is blocking my antidepressants and causing me to feel depressed and dumb but other times it makes me feel better.

Suffered from depression my whole life. Honestly, kratom worked great for WD from subs

Were you able to do it without getting depression?

I was on buprenorphine for over a decade, worst drug I've ever had to withdrawal from - heroin, alcohol, nicotine, benzos, nothing compared. But, with that said, I never got depression from quitting, but I was really working on working on myself and making changes at that point so I was pretty focused on that progress which may have been a significant contributing factor. And the first 40 days or so was filled with so much torture and pain and everything else, I never really had time to notice depression. I've managed to make it a little over 3 years with no buprenorphine and no nicotine, and I would never go back again. It's completely worth it to go through the misery if you've been able to change the behavioral issues that led to your addicition to begin with.

i went back to work on day 15. it was awful but my job really made me feel better, helped keep me occupied and took my mind off of a lot of things. if you can stand working without sleep i'd recommend everyone do it.

Was on buprenorphine for 3 years (other opioids for 3 years prior to that). Decided enough is enough and tapered for 6 months down to 0.5mg of buprenorphine. As my situation at that dosage did not stabilize I jumped off. It was very miserable 6 weeks, and I felt better progressively after 3-4 months. Now it is almost a year (10 months) and I feel much better. I would rather deal with my pain and other issues than go back to dependence on opioids.

Regarding depression - I was not really depressed as I was really determined to put my opioid dependence behind me. I had all of the other horrible withdrawal issues, which I will not list here, but my determination and changed habits (like eating healthy, going to walks, exercising) helped a great deal. I would recommend exercise and eating healthy as main things to speed up your recovery.

I will add that life does not get all roses and sunshine because one stops buprenorphine, but a person at least gets a chance to make it much more meaningful and worthwhile. It is a struggle and it all depends on ones underlying issues that brought him to the buprenorphine crutch (not judging). If those issues are being addressed than the effort is really worthwhile.

I wish you all the best!

Bupe withdrawal is indeed a terrible time but personally it doesn't have that same oxycodone "eat me again or I'll make you want to die and suffer forever and ever!" vindictive withdrawal type depression. I'm convinced oxy is not a good partner at handling breakups. She immediately seek vengeance. Even if you're surrounded by people you love the sound of their voices are like nails on a chalkboard ;) Furthermore despite suboxone some opiate depression can't really be dodged. I'd rather go through bupe withdrawal than fent withdrawal though please anything but that! Fent withdrawal make me wish I never existed. Oh, what a blast it was. Gotta love waking up day 14 still feeling like there's no reason to be alive anymore :cool: Did not even have the mental energy to cry to myself. I was just rendered useless for a month. Fentynal why you gotta be so rude?

Surprisingly bupe withdrawal is mostly physical for me. I can't say I noticed the depression too much. But again... fent withdrawal made me want to stop breathing forever... bupe withdrawal depression is not the same soul sucking depression in my experience lol. If you've taken bupe for 2 years straight obviously you're going to want to hide in your closet for a couple of weeks because at that point your body would be so adjusted to bupe on the regular. I suggest not getting off bupe unless you're certain you won't return to heroin. There's no reason to get off it unless you're truly ready. People relapse after years of being on suboxone. There's no predicting that kind of thing. Some opiate induced brain fog and lower libido is a major step up from perpetually redosing yourself with a needle and heroin in hand and completely ruining your entire life (in a very fun way no doubt). Bupe isn't as invasive as other opiates when it comes to one's personal life imo. So... I don't see much incentive of getting off it unless you're sure-fire willing and ready to live opiate free for potentially your entire life. Tapering down to low-dose suboxone and being on it well... forever... is a viable sobriety option when you really analyze it. Low-dose suboxone does not even compare to the destruction and euphoria of mother heroin. It depends on what beast you're truly trying to dodge. Sometimes addiction is about the lesser of evils. Sobriety just isn't possible for many addicts after frequent use over the years. One cannot abuse heroin for a decade and live as if they had never touched it and pretend that they were sober forever. It just doesn't work and there's no going back after a certain point you know?

Last edited:
I use to have suicidal thoughts and actions regularly, along with self destructive behavior.

It wasn't until getting on bupe, that these thought patterns and behaviors went away. But then again, they went away on almost any opioid I took. It's just that bupe was one I could get legally and consistently. I have no doubt heroin would have done the same thing if it were legal.

In fact, after years of daily bupe use now, I have started to feel my depression creeping back up again because I don't feel any real perceptible opiate effects from my bupe (besides maybe feeling annoyingly drowsy some days) and it's starting to bring me down. I've returned to craving heroin and full agonists. So I just can't seem to win. If only I could move to Switzerland and use pharm grade heroin daily, legally.