• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Thinking of getting on methadone for opiate addiction

Mia.Carlson66

Bluelighter
I'm taking around 70mg-130mg of percocet a day. I do have a legit pain issue so I don't know how to stop. I am an addict, I crave the high and it sucks because what do I do you know? Be in pain? or be an addict? Anyway I have some questions about methadone. Does this medication really work? And anyone who has done the program does it work? Like how does it make you feel, high or just normal? I don't want to feel high anymore I want to be normal again. I heard good things but I've also heard bad so I just want to hear peoples opinions on this medication and the methadone program to get off of opiates.

I think methadone is way too extreme for what is really a more moderate habit. And once you go on methadone, it's really difficult to get off. For your situation, it would really just be continuing your addiction.

What kind of treatment methods have you tried? Maintenance medication should really only be used when other treatment has failed. And even then, buprenorphine should be used first.

I have not really tried anything. I cant be sick and that's just not an excuse. I go to college, I'm a single mom of two kids (toddler and baby) and I don't have any help. I've felt what 12 hours feels like without dosing and it's HELL. all my muscles ache, my stomach hurts, im nauseated, my bones ache. and that's only 12 hours after. I just don't see it working withdrawing and being able to continue my daily activities that I need to continue. I've talked to people who are on the program and they say it makes them feel normal (not high and no withdrawals) if taken as prescribed. And that's what I want to do. Don't they taper you off of it after they put you on, so you take less and less so you don't have many or any withdrawal symptoms? The thing is, is that I cant do it by myself, I don't have the will power to not take as much that gets me high or makes me feel good. I get my medication prescribed 3x a day 10/325 Percocet but I take over 3x that amount everyday and when I run out I buy from people I know. It's hurting my pocket and my health and my mental state. I just need a way to get off of this without going through withdrawals. I think if I could use methadone in the proper way and take what I need to feel normal and if it doesn't get me high then I should be able to taper off without any problem.

Thank you for letting me know about buprenorphine, I will talk to the clinic about it. And yes I have heard bad things about methadone as well, as you said its hard to get off. I just need a way to get off of this crap without withdrawals. I just read about buprenorphine and It sounds like what I'm looking for.

DO NOT fucking do methadone. It is a living hell if you're ever planning to get off. ONLY start if you're planning to stay on for life, believe me. Suboxone is a far better choice, it takes away the craving and doesn't make u a worthless piece of trash. I got a friend whos on 200mg of methadone, does nothing all day but nod out and sit on the couch... hes on for life, he can never come off. I myself did it for 6 months, BIGGEST mistake of my life. I can't even talk about it, it was such a painstaking part of my life.

Well, if you have actual pain, Suboxone maintaince will not do much for the pain honestly..I suppose you could give Subs ago and see if it helps with both, but I would keep the doses of Suboxone low if you are looking for pain relief(like 3mg a day, then 1mg later on in the day?? Someone else chime in on this idea..you would be getting microgram doses, which are actually prescribed for pain in the UK through a pain Medication call Temgesic or something like that) but on maintaince you will probly be put on 8mg(doing it this way will leave you with extra also), you could cut off the MG pieces if it's the strips, or break it in half a few times if it's the pills) it works for some people with pain, but alot of people it doesn't, but the lower the dose the better it works for pain).
Methadone works better if you are actually in pain. You would have to go to a clinic everyday for a while until you got your takehomes. No need to go on a crazy dose of 100mg if you go with the size of your habbit...Maybe stick with the 30-50mg of Methadone a day. I'm only reccomending it because you say you are actually in pain...have you talked to your doctor about Methadone? Though i'm pretty sure he would look at you like you are crazy for asking for that since you are only on Percocets...I would go with Subs first and see if they help, and if they don't go on a low dose of Methadone to actually help with the pain. Taking 30-40mg a day will not turn you into a drooling person on the couch...
Coming of Suboxone or Methadone is sooo much harder than a small Oxy/hydro habbit because of the halflife of both. The withdrawl from both are pretty brutal compared to short-acting opiates..if you go the Methadone route I just wouldn't go over 40mg(50mg at most) with what you are taking.

Methadone used to be prescribed for pain, my mom took it long ago… but, not for switching over to from percs! I really would advise against it. I have chronic pain and it's possible to taper off the pills depending on how long you've been on them of course and a few other factors and your physical mental health. Subs would be a better option absolutely they are not a full agonist. Although subs ime are not as helpful for pain…

Have you tried other options for pain? Can you get into a pain management program?

Ya, that's what I was saying, there not good at all for pain, a low dose of Methadone would be better, but I don't know how the doctor would feel about it(i mean your taking more than prescribed and buying from other people but if you told him that you would you would be out the door in a heartbeat). I would say get something time-released, but if you are taking more than prescribed already, you would probly do the same with the time-released stuff...so I dunno know if you should ask your doctor or just go to the clinic or try suboxone...it's really up to you I guese. But IMO opinion Subs do not work very well for pain, but it might work for you(if you do the low dose thing as I said earlier, like 1.5mg twice a day)..A LOW dose of methadone would be okay IMO... If you went the clinic route you would have your dose given to ya, until ya get your takehomes and are stable..As I said just keep the dose low. But also, clinics are a pain in the ass, so are some Suboxone doctors who decide it's time for you to get off when you are not ready and just taper you real quick. I hate that, it's called fuckin' maintaince for a reason, a person should be able to stay on it as long as they fuckin' want...anyway.

I think methadone is way too extreme for what is really a more moderate habit. And once you go on methadone, it's really difficult to get off. For your situation, it would really just be continuing your addiction.

What kind of treatment methods have you tried? Maintenance medication should really only be used when other treatment has failed. And even then, buprenorphine should be used first.

I agree, methadone seems like a massive escalation of a situation, in more ways than one. My advise is definitely not to go that extreme, not yet anyhow.

Don't they taper you off of it after they put you on, so you take less and less so you don't have many or any withdrawal symptoms?

Absolutely they taper you off.. but you won't have less / no symptoms. You'll WD (even after a taper) in acute stage for about a month, coming off methadone, it's nothing to be taken lightly. Also, it's an extremely potent opiode - which means after being on the program, if you EVER use opiodes again in life, you'll rapidly experience WD symptoms.. Personally, I can not use anything for 2-3 months, then use for 1 or 2 days and I'll suffer acute WD for 2-3 days, I'm not making that up either.

I don't do the clinic. However, I keep the 10mg pills on hand for various reasons such as withdrawals, or taking a break from my opanas.

I prefer the pills over the liquid, mainly because I've never tried the liquid. Lol. And because most MMT post I read, the liquid seems to wear off quicker, or something.

My schedule works like this:
(coming off 120-140mg of Opana daily)

Day 1 - 20mg dose 7-8 am , 10mg dose 7pm

Day 2 - 20 mg am dose , 5 mg dose PM

Day 3 - 10 mg dose am, 10mg dose PM

Day 4 - 10 mg dose am , 10 mg dose PM

Day 5 - 10 mg dose am, 5 mg dose pm

And I keep breaking down to only 5mg then off.

Not saying this is the general rule, just an example. It's a suggestion for lowering a dose/taper, not staying on dones/increasing.

By day 3 I have a clear head and zero cravings, but everyone is different, and the pills last longer for me pain wise than the oxycodone/oxymorphone does.

Good luck!

no offense but you would be a fool to go methadone. If I were you id try to quit your habit instead of going on ORT, you do not have a serious habit and can break the physical addiction in 2 weeks! you should at least try to detox yourself, get some pot and gabapentin and thats all you need. if you try and really can't do it then i guess look into suboxone but for the love of god don't go on methadone even suboxone is bad news.

I was on suboxone for 2 years, yes it kills cravings to use but you are just trading one addiction for another. by the way I'm off subs now and back onto shooting dope...

Methadone isn't a good pain option either when used once daily, which is what you'll get at a clinic. It needs to be dosed every 4 hours for pain. It's also just so much more potent than what the OP is on.

Yeah, I felt well when I was initially on methadone but I was an IV heroin addict at that point and years past the point where oxycodone had any effect on me. Even at over 1000mg doses. On methadone I felt tired, depressed, and had no appetite on methadone and my side effects were minor compared to most. Took me well over 6 months to taper off a high dose and that was on a pretty fast taper plan... one that I fought my clinic for every damn week, they really have no interest in helping you get off.

To sum it up, using methadone to treat OP's habit would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. You wouldn't feel normal, you'd feel high. It would jack up your tolerance and clinics seldom do rapid detox and even if they did you'd still get WD symptoms. You're better off tapering your own medication than getting on methadone and tapering off.

You need to try the easier options before going straight to the most extreme course of action. I would first get back on your prescribed amount only. Then you could request that your doctor taper you off by slowly lowering the amount prescribed and also scripting medications to help with withdrawal symptoms. Something for sleep and anxiety would be ideal. You could also try checking into a 5 day detox, it's cold turkey but you'll get benzos and other medications to treat withdrawal and it's not our of the realm of possibility for your habit. If those suggestions are just not an option, try and find someone you can buy buprenorphine off of, it's usually around. Get enough for a week taper.

Treating the causes of your addiction is important too, whether it's treatment, therapy, meetings, etc.

Question though, how severe are your pain issues? Can they be addresses with physical therapy and non-narcotic meds possibly? I will tell you right now, if you go to a methadone clinic or get buprenorphine scripted you'll never get opioids for pain again.

DO NOT fucking do methadone. It is a living hell if you're ever planning to get off. ONLY start if you're planning to stay on for life, believe me. Suboxone is a far better choice, it takes away the craving and doesn't make u a worthless piece of trash. I got a friend whos on 200mg of methadone, does nothing all day but nod out and sit on the couch... hes on for life, he can never come off. I myself did it for 6 months, BIGGEST mistake of my life. I can't even talk about it, it was such a painstaking part of my life.

It's totally possible to use MMT responsibly. I was on 130mg for a year, tapered for a year, and came off at 10mg. Yeah, it really sucked. But it was the kick in the ass I needed to get clean. And when I tried switching to suboxone, I got up to 16mg and still got sick, so I said screw that and tapered as quickly as they'd let me.

*edit: not giving an opinion either way, just stating a fact*

I was on suboxone for 2 years, yes it kills cravings to use but you are just trading one addiction for another. by the way I'm off subs now and back onto shooting dope...

That's only true if you're only taking it to not be sick, then yeah you'll probably end up shooting dope again. For it to work, it needs to be utilized together with a treatment plan. After leaving 2 weeks into rehab, I got in bupe maintenance. I still lived in a SLE, went to 90 meetings in 90 days, did intensive outpatient treatment, attended individual and group therapy, and saw a psychiatrist. A year later, I'm almost tapered off. But more importantly, I'm happy and healthy. I have a life again, I'm employed with a home, a son, and a long-term relationship.

Bupe is a tool. Not a magic pill. But we addicts tend to want an easy fix. I have yet to find one, just a lot of hard work.

I am totally off mmt. But it's no piece of cake. Not at all.
Have not started producing endorphin naturally. Not yet.

Weigh the cost benefit. I needed methadone to put myself together. And it worked for many years.
I had a perfectly normal life, travelled, work, had fun, yet "sober on methadone"!
Even raised my kids with no drama whatever.
Never ever relapsed again and I'm off now. :)

Last edited:
That's only true if you're only taking it to not be sick, then yeah you'll probably end up shooting dope again. For it to work, it needs to be utilized together with a treatment plan. After leaving 2 weeks into rehab, I got in bupe maintenance. I still lived in a SLE, went to 90 meetings in 90 days, did intensive outpatient treatment, attended individual and group therapy, and saw a psychiatrist. A year later, I'm almost tapered off. But more importantly, I'm happy and healthy. I have a life again, I'm employed with a home, a son, and a long-term relationship.

Bupe is a tool. Not a magic pill. But we addicts tend to want an easy fix. I have yet to find one, just a lot of hard work.

Indeed, but it's possible, see what's gonna work for you knowing that It could / will be difficult to quit.
Think as a temporarily solution.

Thank you Rhun for your reply. I appreciate all the information everyone has given me and now I see that it is probably a bad idea. I just wish it was easier or I was stronger, one or the other. Cause when I wake up in the morning I feel like death, literally. Like its hard to even get up to change my kids diaper if I haven't had a few pills in me yet and that's only like 9 hours after my last dose. It really does suck, I just want to be done with it. I have scoliosis and it causes me to have constant pain in my mid and lower back. I can still feel the pain even with all of the pain meds I take, its not too bad but it's nagging and really annoying at times. Anyway, I have a question; Many people are saying that my habit is moderate? I thought I was taking a lot, like I thought 120 mg a day is a high dose, is it not?

Methadone isn't a good pain option either when used once daily, which is what you'll get at a clinic. It needs to be dosed every 4 hours for pain. It's also just so much more potent than what the OP is on.

Yeah, I felt well when I was initially on methadone but I was an IV heroin addict at that point and years past the point where oxycodone had any effect on me. Even at over 1000mg doses. On methadone I felt tired, depressed, and had no appetite on methadone and my side effects were minor compared to most. Took me well over 6 months to taper off a high dose and that was on a pretty fast taper plan... one that I fought my clinic for every damn week, they really have no interest in helping you get off.

To sum it up, using methadone to treat OP's habit would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. You wouldn't feel normal, you'd feel high. It would jack up your tolerance and clinics seldom do rapid detox and even if they did you'd still get WD symptoms. You're better off tapering your own medication than getting on methadone and tapering off.

You need to try the easier options before going straight to the most extreme course of action. I would first get back on your prescribed amount only. Then you could request that your doctor taper you off by slowly lowering the amount prescribed and also scripting medications to help with withdrawal symptoms. Something for sleep and anxiety would be ideal. You could also try checking into a 5 day detox, it's cold turkey but you'll get benzos and other medications to treat withdrawal and it's not our of the realm of possibility for your habit. If those suggestions are just not an option, try and find someone you can buy buprenorphine off of, it's usually around. Get enough for a week taper.

Treating the causes of your addiction is important too, whether it's treatment, therapy, meetings, etc.

Question though, how severe are your pain issues? Can they be addresses with physical therapy and non-narcotic meds possibly? I will tell you right now, if you go to a methadone clinic or get buprenorphine scripted you'll never get opioids for pain again.

Indeed, but it's possible, see what's gonna work for you knowing that It could / will be difficult to quit.
Think as a temporarily solution.

I never said otherwise?
Though in the OP' s case, methadone is just not appropriate and I doubt Bupe is either. They've never even tried a cold turkey kick much less a taper plan. Or any kind of treatment.

If you don't want to be high methadone is not for you. Look into bupe or even suboxone. It could be a life saver for your pain issues