• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants theVirtuoso's Guide to Adderall

theVirtuoso

Greenlighter
adderallgd6.jpg

------------------------------
Backround Information

What is Adderall?
Adderall is a prescription pharmaceutical containing two forms of Amphetamines, Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine. It is prescribed primarily as a treatment for ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and Narcolepsy. It is a CNS (Central Nervous System) stimulant.

There's different kinds of Adderall?
Yes, there are two different forms of Adderall. Adderall (instant release) and Adderall XR (extended release). The original Adderall is made to release all of the chemicals at one time, while Adderall XR releases it's dose over a long period of time (~12 hours) in small amounts at a time. Both forms are also available in generic form.

What else is Adderall commonly called?
Addys/Addies, Amps, Speed

What else do people use Adderall for?
Just about anything, really. It has become the choice substance for College and High School students to help them study. Athletes have used it to significantly improve their energy. Musicians have utilized it to enhance their capabilities and appreciation for music. Truck drivers take them to stay awake during long shifts. Basically anything you can imagine requiring you to exert any energy, physically or mentally.

Being on Adderall

What are the effects of Adderall?
POSITIVE

• Increased alertness
  • Increased motivation
  • Increased talkativeness
  • Positive mood shift, sense of well-being

NEUTRAL

• Reduced appetite
  • Dilated pupils
  • Flushing
  • Loss of coordination
  • Restlessness

NEGATIVE

• Increased aggressiveness
  • Paranoia
  • Dry mouth
  • Headache
  • Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
  • Increased breathing rate
  • Increased blood pressure
  • Rise in body temperature
  • Fever and sweating
  • Diarrhea or constipation
  • Blurred vision
  • Impaired speech
  • Dizziness
  • Uncontrollable movements (twitching, jerking, tremors, etc...)
  • Insomnia
  • Numbness
  • Irregular heartbeat (palpitations, arrhythmia)
  • Impotence / inability to achieve erection in men (high dose or chronic use)
  • Convulsions (high dose)
  • Dry, itchy skin (chronic use)
  • Acne, sores (chronic use)
  • Pallor (high dose or chronic use)
  • Psychotic episodes (rare except in overdoses or after chronic use)
*taken from http://www.erowid.org

Where can I find real experiences to get a better idea?
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Amphetamines.shtml

Addiction

How addictive is Adderall?
Well this is relative to each and every person. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. However, if I was going to give an answer, it would be very addictive. The curse of uppers (stimulants) is that once that initial "rush" begins to fade, you want to bring it back. Many people become addicted chasing their first rush, but truthfully, Adderall and all Amphetamines will never feel as good as they were in the beginning, sorry.

How will I know I'm addicted?
Many people are addicted to the point that they need Adderall just to feel "okay", but it all started somewhere. You aren't going to become physically addicted overnight. You will be physiologically addicted long before then. There are numerous signs that you are becoming addicted, so it is important that you maintain control and try to monitor yourself from a 3rd person perspective if possible. Have you stopped enjoying life unless you're on Adderall? Have you stolen anything for Adderall? Can you not have Adderall without binging (continuously taking over long periods of time) on them until they are gone? Do you feel sick unless you take Adderall? These are all signs to look for, but there are countless more. To sum it up as simply as possible, is your life beginning to revolve around Adderall?

Withdrawals

What are the symtoms of Adderall withdrawals?

• Craving
  • Exhaustion
  • Depression
  • Mental confusion
  • Restlessness and insomnia
  • Deep or disturbed sleep lasting up to 48 hours
  • Extreme hunger
  • Psychotic reaction
  • Anxiety reactions

Overdose

What are the symptoms of an Adderall overdose?
GENERAL

• Seizures
  • Tremor / hyperreflexia
  • Extreme restlessness
  • Fever
  • Confusion
  • Tachypnea (rapid respiration)
  • Panic
  • Rhabdomyolysis (muscle pain, swelling, weakness, tenderness)
  • Hallucinations
  • Hostile behavior
  • Fatigue / depression following initial stimulation

CARDIOVASCULAR

• Arrhythmias (abnormal heart beat)
  • Hypertension (abnormally high blood pressure)
  • Hypotension (abnormally low blood pressure)
  • Circulatory collapse (failure of circulatory system)

GASTROINTESTINAL

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramps

Remember...
Many of these symptoms can occur without an overdose, I've personally had nausea, abdominal cramps, hypertension, fever, muscle pain and hallucinations. It is important that you stay calm, assess the situation and the intensity of the effects. Realize many of these things are simply negative effects of taking amphetamines as they are naturally very hard on your body. Also, please note the difference between being irritable/agitated and hostile. However, if you really feel you are having an overdose do not wait around and see, this is your life. Many untreated overdoses end in convulsions/seizures and thereafter death.

Think you or a friend may have overdosed?
We are not professionals here, try to remain calm and call your local Certified Poison Control Center or 9-1-1 immediately!

Improve Your Experience

-= Part One - Preparation =-

To eat or not to eat...
I personally prefer to take my Adderall on an empty stomach as it increases it's effectiveness and shortens the time it takes to metabolize and take action. It is uncommon for a prescription to say you can take your medication with an empty stomach, but Adderall is one of those exceptions. However, it can be very beneficial to eat a meal beforehand since Adderall significantly suppresses appetite, so you may not be eating the entire time you are under it's effects. Not eating can leave you feeling qweesy as the Adderall begins to wear off, if you take XR this can be quite some time. Usually as you build a tolerance it becomes much easier to eat while on Adderall.

Things to have on hand...
This one is simple... water. Do not substitute water for pop, energy drinks, or something of that nature. It is okay to drink a pop or have a coffee, maybe drink a smoothie, but I highly suggest staying clear of energy drinks. Even though you may be drinking something else, always have a water on hand anyways just in case. Amphetamines dehydrate you and make you sweat. Dehydration will cause a lot of problems from an incredibly dry mouth/throat to feeling like absolute crap. Another thing you may want to have is gum. Gum will keep your mouth from getting dry as well as preventing you from grinding teeth, clenching your jaws, or biting your lips/cheeks.

Instant or extended?
This is more dictated by the situation for most people. When I take Adderall in the morning for the day I obviously choose Adderall XR (those with little to no tolerance I do not suggest taking XR after noon or so if you want to sleep). If I'm looking for more of a kick or want a nice burst of energy for a little bit before crashing I'll pop an instant. This decision is entirely in your hands. Instant is going to provide a more "tweaky" intense high that can lead to others knowing your current state. Extended will still allow you to talk everyone's ears off, but it allows much more control over bringing it down a notch.

I want to try instant release, but all I have are Adderall XR capsules...
You can take your XR capsules and turn them into instant release, it is very simple. If you look inside the capsule you will see it consists of tiny beads. The beads are your Adderall. Each and every bead has a coating creating a time-release. You must crush the beads into a powder in order to get past this. Do this any way you can without making a mess as the beads can go all over the place! Once you have finished you now have your instant release. I dump the powder on my tongue and down in one big gulp with water as I find it really doesn't take all that bad, it's not bitter like the majority of chemicals.

-= Part Two - Let's Go! =-

How should I take my Adderall?
This is important! Only take your Adderall with water! If you do not have any water on hand (tsk tsk) try and find a drink that's as little acidic as possible. The worst thing you can take your Adderall with is Orange Juice which many people do since they take their in the morning. This destroys a varying amount of the chemical as it metabolizes so you recieve less of the initial dosage. I do not recommend anything other than taking your Adderall orally. Insufflating (snorting) can cause damage to your nasal cavity from reduced breathing ability to even losing a chunk of your nostril, all for a faster onset... too bad you come down sooner and harder. If you're even considering smoking your Adderall, just stop right here and toss them in the garbage. It is downright stupid, inefficient, and harmful.

What can I mix with Adderall?
The only thing I would personally recommend is cannabis. However, some people get very restless smoking on Adderall if the high is lethargic. You can get the feeling of "jumping out of your skin" and it's intensely irritating because it makes it almost impossible to relax. There are no other substances I would personally recommend with Adderall as they can intensify on another and cause more stress on the body, making it easier to have all sorts of problems.

Does my medication interact with Adderall?
Because there are too many drugs to list, you have to check this on your own. However, I will provide you with direction. Go to http://www.drugdigest.org and click on "Check Interactions" in the main menu near the top. Here you can add practically every drug known to man to check for interactions between them and with food/alcohol.

-= Part Three - I Feel Like SHIT! =-

I feel terrible, help!
Relax, you are coming down. This is common with any powerful stimulant. It's normal to feel irritable, exhausted, depressed, or anxious/restless. The best way to fix this is to sleep it off, however if that is not possible Cannabis or a Benzo (Benzodiazepine) such as Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, or Ativan work wonder on relieving these symptoms.

Help, I can't sleep!
This is common with Adderall, more so the extended release as it tends to linger for long periods of time even after you become tired and worn out. The same remedies for feeling like shit apply to falling asleep.

I want MORE!
Take it easy! Adderall will more than likely leave you craving for more. This is much more prominent with instant release seeing as it wears off and you crash much harder and faster. The best thing to do is not perpetuate this feeling and either smoke, take a benzo, or just sleep.

Extra Information

How much should I take?
There is no definitive answer here. I suggest 20-30mg to start as that will give you a very good idea of what Adderall has to offer without completely tweaking out by any means. Since Amphetamines effect people so differently 20mg to one person can feel like 60mg to another... take it slow and learn how Adderall effects you and only you. I have found that anything over 60mg tends to enhance the side effects much more than anything else, so be weary as your dosages increase. Remember, you can always take more, but you cannot undo what has already been done!

I feel all of this energy, but not much euphoria...
Many people expect a rush of euphoria and that's not always the case. A lot of an amphetamine high, especially Adderall XR is fairly subtle. There's a lot more going on than you think.

What will happen if I get caught with Adderall?
Currently Adderall is a Schedule II drug, controlled by the DEA, classifying it as having a high abuse potential with long term use leading to severe pyshiological and physical dependancy. Being a Schedule II substance also means it has accepted medical use, but with many restrictions. If you are arrested with possession of Adderall the penalty can vary depending on where you live and your record, however it is a felony. I am not a lawyer, so you better get one.

Signing Off

That is all for now...
I hope this has been of some help and if you have any questions feel free to post here and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. I may or may not add to this guide depending on if I realize I forgot something (which I more than likely did). Please read carefully before asking any questions. Remember to point people in this direction if they have a question!

If you have any questions...
I insist that you ask them here! This thread has two goals: to inform those who have questions and to reduce repetitive threads. This thread needs those bumps to the top so people can see it! Thanks :wave:
*If you do not feel comfortable openly asking the question on these forums feel free to PM me then.

*This is just a copy/paste from an old thread of mine. However, that website changed their rules and this thread was no longer allowed*

good write up, as a long time user i dont see any major issues although you could add some stuff on potentiation and bioavailability i just kinda scanned the page though as I know pretty much all the info already but i didnt see anything on those two topics really

Great post. Will refer to here if people have a question. Good posting!

awesome post. covers a lot and covers it nicely. my only constructive comment would be that adding clonidine under the "i feel like SHIT!" section would be worthwhile. nevertheless, a great guide. well done!

you can take the IR sublingualy as well.

Yay! Great post.....think you just about covered it, although one thing to mention about the Adderall IR....it's coated in some kind of sweetener. You can literally eat it like candy. I've let half a pill dissolve in my mouth for an nearly instant rush (of course i still advise having some water on hand for afterwards). You can even chew it.

Since snorting it is such a waste (anyone who's snorted it knows your nose will be stuffed up with blue snot afterwards), this works great for someone who wants a similar feeling.

That said, for the most satisfying experience overall, I still suggest simply taking them orally. You may not get that *instant* euphoric rush, but you still feel great and it lasts longer too.

This would've been my bible if I were still in High School, neat little guide brotha

would get more out of it if you used more than erowid as the bibliography. just a personal opinion tho.

A mod should sticky this or it will probably get lost.

Newly RX of Adderall and Apprehensive.

First: please let excuse me if this is in the wrong place, this is my first post. NOOB here. Sorry.

I have been battling depression/anxiety issue my entire life. I’ve been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, Bipolar/Manic . Basically you name it they’ve said I’ve had it. I’ve spent the past 7-8 years changing meds struggling to maintain a productive life. (I want to add that I don’t think there is a magic pill, I just want to be able to get out of bed in the morning, leave the house, go to the store. DO MY JOB. Normal boring stuff).

My newest primary care doctor referred me to a counseling center where they have counselors and MD’s that specialize in this. After hours of tests and questions he is saying that I have had undiagnosed ADD probably my entire life.(?) That, he thinks, is probably the main reason for my lack of “get-up-and-go” and depression.

So I was prescribed a low dosage of Adderall 5mg and I am slowly tapering up. He wants to see how I respond. Currently I’m up to 10mgs in the am and start 15mgs on Mon. I find myself losing its effectiveness by midday. From looking on this site, 10-15mgs doesn’t seem to be a lot. But I’m noticing some strong effects. I ramble (as you can see),I’ve got the expected slightly dilated eyes(thanks for the top post for learning me on that in one place!) and I feel like I’m high. Increased dosage of Lorazepam to sleep.. There are some great benefits. I’ve made it to work on time for 7 scheduled shifts in a row(something unheard of for me recently) also all the generic Plusses. I do need to add that I do take 1-2 oxyc 80mg/ week which I break apart and snort in tiny pieces. I’m actively trying to keep a low tolerance. How do the oxy’s interact with Adderall? I don’t mean reactions, like experience wise. I keep finding conflicting info on oxy and Adderall here and other sites. Is the mixture why I’m experiencing such a rush on a low dose? Is this doctor just dumb? Am I lucky and need to keep my mouth shut and keep on with it? I’m going to stop now and maybe add more when I think of it.

**Sorry for the long narrative(side effect) and I did edit!! lol **=D

Oxy+Amphetamine is godlike. I preffer to snort some oxy instead or on top of dropping some bensos when I'm coming down on speed/adderall. You can do them at the same time too and it works fine, it's called speedballing.

For the comedown you recommend benzos or weed. Benzo's can be uneasy for some to come by, and I personally find that THC can be unpredictable. What works for me, EVERY time, is 3 shots of vodka :D Granted it isnt a good solution if you tweak daily, but if you do it once a week or less, say when you go out clubbing, it works like a charm :)

PS. GHB works even better if you have access to it.

Oxy+Amphetamine is godlike. I preffer to snort some oxy instead or on top of dropping some bensos when I'm coming down on speed/adderall. You can do them at the same time too and it works fine, it's called speedballing.

Very cool combo indeed. tried myself just recently.

Good job on the guide. It's well written and pretty much covers it.

Good post, but don't be so humerus by saying this is your guide to Adderall. It is a good starting point for a big and dandy thread and the thread title should reflect that. No one knows who theVirtuoso is man.

You still need to cover a lot of things.
Adderall addiction doesn't cause physical withdrawals. When a person quits using, the agitation, soreness, and lethargy are all caused from physical damage that indirectly resulted from the amphetamine -- such as recovering from hyperthermia, lack of circulation, vascular constriction, and skeletal muscle deterioration/exhaustion. Psychological "withdrawal" effects are caused from excessive brain activity and a depletion of dopamine/serotonin.

You also need to cover amphetamine psychosis.

You still need to cover a lot of things.
Adderall addiction doesn't cause physical withdrawals. When a person quits using, the agitation, soreness, and lethargy are all caused from physical damage that indirectly resulted from the amphetamine -- such as recovering from hyperthermia, lack of circulation, vascular constriction, and skeletal muscle deterioration/exhaustion. Psychological "withdrawal" effects are caused from excessive brain activity and a depletion of dopamine/serotonin.

You also need to cover amphetamine psychosis.

When I saw this thread posted, I immediately recalled your intimately detailed thread on the stages of Amphetamine use, and how well written and informative it was. Perhaps these threads might be combined in some way? I think this thread has some good info, but I agree it is lacking some crucial elements, the likes of which (I think) you could be an ideal candidate for filling in, based on your knowledge/experience with Amps.

you should put some pharmacological data in there. peak plasmas with or without food, or effects of stomach pH. i like it though!