• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Theory about Mylan Fentanyl Patches

Pixies

Bluelighter
So, for me, I noticed that the patches without the "gel reservoir" (just the tape mixed with the medication, doesn't last as long for me. I don't like not being able to see if their is any left in the pouch. The gel patches all consistently lasted 48+ hours for me, but never 72. I also had to put a piece of medical tape tightly* across the middle, after the first 24 hours, to basically push the remaining gel down flush with the patch, to make sure it was ALL being evenly distributed and less would go to waste out of the decent space left within a gel pocket. I'm now on the Mylan patches at instantly noticed they were only lasting about 24 hours for me, especially AFTER sleeping 6-8 hours on them. Now, I would put them usually on my chest, as their is less fatty tissue for the medication to get through. And with Mylan patches, all the medication was within the tape itself, so I couldn't even really tell how much was being used, or what was left.

Now, one thing that I've been experimenting with lately, is using a blow dryer AFTER the 24 hour mark, and I could start feeling some onset WDs creep in. I would put a piece of medical tape over the patch, to reaffirm it's flushness with my skin, then use the hairdryer on low, over the surface for about 30 seconds to a minute. Bingo! It started releasing medicine again. Not consistently like before, but enough to make the craving subside for a little white. I would usually have to do this once or twice every 3-4 hours to keep it going. And sure enough, I can almost get it to last 48 hours, give or take a few hours. My theory is that when I am sleeping (on my back), less blood flow is happening at the surface of my skin on my chest, combined with the fact that my body temperature was lowered during sleep. This leads me to believe the tape is triggered by a set temperature and if it isn't being consistently activated (so to speak), it's effects diminish greatly. Like, I feel the "sticky substance" is sort of drying up or becoming less active for absorption. Like I said, this is just a theory, but I was hoping to hear some opinions on the matter to see if any of this makes sense or holds water for anyone else who are having issues with the Fentanyl patches not lasting 72hours. It's just VERY frustrating to try and explain this to a doctor. As everyone has just wrote me off, and literally told me "you need to make them last 72 hours", the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Yes, I am currently trying to find a new pain management physician, but it does take a decent amount of time where I live. I feel like I am possibly on the right track with the patches for round the clock relief, they just need be prescribed in consideration for the effect they have with me. Explaining this, only sounds like I'm trying to get more medication (to abuse), when really I just want them to work as they say they should. Especially since my moronic doctors office has LITERALLY not filled out a single one of my prior authorizations to my insurance correctly, for several months now, and I am paying out of pocket for EVERYTHING. My situation has become beyond frustrating and I feel like NO ONE is trying to help me. Thanks for reading, guys. <3

:\ I've tried the Fentanyl patches through pain management (two separate series in 10 years). I got very different results from the gel patches in 2006. They helped tremendously to ease my pain for 48 hours, but I was in (what I now realize was WD) the 3rd day. Back then my doctors would not discuss 48 hour change out. So, I weaned off and quit PM altogether.

Fast forward to 2014...Enrolled in PM again with trials of several different meds, one was Fentanyl matrix type patch (no gel). My doctor prescribed 48 hour change out, which would have been good. However, the "new" design did not deliver the med properly. I told him so he recommended Tegaderm clear placed over the patches. I tried, but never got relief. I would sweat like a fiend (chemical smell) all through the night and feel comatose during the day. I weaned myself off after a 6 week trial.

I, too was paying out of pocket. It was a costly learning curve. I'm sorry for what you're going through. Chronic pain is such a bitch and the depression that rides shotgun (for me) is deadly. Few understand this.

:\ I've tried the Fentanyl patches through pain management (two separate series in 10 years). I got very different results from the gel patches in 2006. They helped tremendously to ease my pain for 48 hours, but I was in (what I now realize was WD) the 3rd day. Back then my doctors would not discuss 48 hour change out. So, I weaned off and quit PM altogether.

Fast forward to 2014...Enrolled in PM again with trials of several different meds, one was Fentanyl matrix type patch (no gel). My doctor prescribed 48 hour change out, which would have been good. However, the "new" design did not deliver the med properly. I told him so he recommended Tegaderm clear placed over the patches. I tried, but never got relief. I would sweat like a fiend (chemical smell) all through the night and feel comatose during the day. I weaned myself off after a 6 week trial.

I, too was paying out of pocket. It was a costly learning curve. I'm sorry for what you're going through. Chronic pain is such a bitch and the depression that rides shotgun (for me) is deadly. Few understand this.

Finally, someone else gets it. I'm sorry that we both are apparently in similar situations, med wise. PM me if you ever want to discuss it sometime. I am probably leaning toward what you did, and just getting off them all together, problem is the doctor told me that they've run out of ER meds to prescribe me. They've not once filled out a prior authorization correctly, and I can't afford the base prices of Oxycontin, Morphine-ER, ZoHydro <--- all made by the same company BTW (Phardu Pharma SSS). So, they basically said this or Sub, and they've stated they REFUSE to prescribe ANY mg of Methadone, which makes ZERO sense to me; and I've used it before, to greater effect. I just ordered Kratom for the first time, and hope that is something that will help me taper down off Fentanyl. And figure something out, because right now I'm completely lost. Thank God they gave me x4 Hydro's a day at least (x4 being the most my insurance will cover, otherwise I'd just ask for x8 a day, and stay thankful.), and when I get more (probably 50's), the best I'd do is cut them into 1/3s just to maybe have something, but still unhappy with how terrible the Fentanyl WDs are. The worst of any med I've tried. Well, take that back. I think I had an allergic reacting to DXM (Cough Syrup) when I tried to potentate my Hydros, to make them more effective. THOSE were the worse WDs I've had, and that was only after ONE SINGLE try of potentiating. Never again. That's why it felt more like a reaction to DXM or gaba-esque type potentates.

I briefly used Fentanyl patches, which were of course supposed to last 72 hours. They barely lasted 24, so at the end of that one script, I told my Dr. that, and he switched me back to 20 mg Oxy IR. Much more effective, IMO. ?