The World Music thread

Afel Bocoum & Alkibar [2010] - AFH476

Born in Niafunke in Northern Mali, Afel Bocoum is a virtuoso guitarist of the Sonrai country. Here Afel takes us once again to the banks of the great river beside Niafunke, to one of the sources of the Blues... The theme of the song is, in addition to the river and its surroundings, respect for women, the values of Malian society, and politics.​

If any italians could clue me in on the lyrics I'd appreciate it.

Markos Vamvakaris - Fragkosyriani

*better version:

[Translation:]

Orazio Strano [1954] - Messina peppercorn flowers

How lovely you are, daughter, now that you’re grown,
A thousand desires rise up in my heart.
I remember how you used to command everyone.

Nanna ninna ninna nanna ninna naninanà,
Nanna ninna ninna nanna ninna naninanà.

Now, pretty one, you are engaged.
In fact, my beauty, you are sweeter than ever,
Tell me when your wedding will take place.

I give my infinite best wishes,
Certainly, lovely girl, more fitting.
Where will you go once you two are married?

The moon, my pretty one, is all honey,
A bride today is worth so much
That you are like a little dove flying into the heavens.

Then, when you go into your garden,
You will hear the song of the nightingale.
But, my beauty, [remember to] get up in the morning.

Last edited:

Markos Vamvakaris - Fragkosyriani

[Translation:]

Markos Vamvakaris [1935] - Fragosyriani

A flare, a flame
I have in my heart
as if you had done my magic
Franco-Syrian sweet
as if you had done my magic
Franco-Syrian sweet

I will come to meet you
down on the beach
I would like to fill you up
all caresses and kisses
I would like to fill you up
all caresses and kisses

I will take you back
Finika, Parakopi
Galissa and Delagratsia
and let me feel numb
Galissa and Delagratsia
and let me feel numb

In Pateli, in Nychori
fine in True
and in Piskopio romance
My sweet Frangosyrian
and in Piskopio romance
My sweet Frangosyrian

[Translation:] Orazio Strano [1954] - Messina peppercorn flowers How lovely you are, daughter, now that you’re grown, A thousand desires rise up in my heart. I remember how you used to command everyone. Nanna ninna ninna nanna ninna naninanà, Nanna ninna ninna nanna ninna naninanà. Now, pretty one, you are engaged. In fact, my beauty, you are sweeter than ever, Tell me when your wedding will take place. I give my infinite best wishes, Certainly, lovely girl, more fitting. Where will you go once you two are married? The moon, my pretty one, is all honey, A bride today is worth so much That you are like a little dove flying into the heavens. Then, when you go into your garden, You will hear the song of the nightingale. But, my beauty, [remember to] get up in the morning.
Thanks, now I no longer have to sound like that chef from Muppets trying to sing in Italian

Afel Bocoum - Djougal ~ Tinki Hiiri

Named after the wild expanse near Bocoum’s hometown of Niafunké, ‘Lindé’ is a remarkable blend of deep tradition and audacious innovation. The album was recorded in Mali’s capital Bamako, and stitches together the age-old music of the Niger bend with styles from across the globe. In a homeland struggling with jihad, poverty and tribal war, Afel Bocoum urges hope, solidarity and unity. “We have to meet each other, talk to each other, look each other in the eye and tell the truth,” Afel says.​

Buena Vista Social Club [1997] - Dos Gardenias

The original Buena Vista Social Club album was recorded for World Circuit Records over six days at the vintage EGREM studios in Havana. Released in 1997, the album went on to become a worldwide phenomenon, selling over 8 million copies and contributing to the rise in popularity of Cuban music.​

Last edited:
Bombino [2019] - Imajghane

image_2.JPG