• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

The World Music thread

mr peabody

Moderator: PM
Staff member
Julie Fowlis - Òran an Ròin / The Song of the Seal

A traditional Gaelic song from the voice of the seal people or selkies — creatures who were said to shed their seal skin and take on the human form at certain times of the year. Thought to move between the parallel worlds of sea and land, but never truly belonging to either, selkies could change to human form at certain times and come ashore. They sometimes took human lovers while human, but usually returned to the sea. Woe be unto they who harm them or their kin.

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
Sona Jobarteh [2017] - Kanu

Andi McLean - bass,
Sonah Jobarteh - kora, vocal,
Mouhamadou Sarr - percussion,
Derek Johnson - guitar
Westley Joseph - drums

Sona Jobarteh is the first female Kora virtuoso from a West African griot family. First in a tradition that is several centuries old, in which the Kora mastery was exclusively passed down from father to son.

What the fuck is this???!!!!??!?!!!

MY GOD, this is amazing & her voice gave me tingles down my spine.

mr peabody

Staff member
Where would I begin with the music Sona Jobarteh @mr peabody
Maybe have a look here :

🙏

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
The Darbar Festival was on Sky Arts a few days ago & I learned the difference between North & South Indian Classical Music. I'm NO expert in this stuff but I know what I like, the raga in the North style is just amazing & sounds like Cypress Hill - Illusions done in a kinda "drone" style.
I personally can't get enough of this stuff.

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
Anoushka Shankar [2016] - Boat To Nowhere

Caught an hour special on the BBC where she is working with Gold Panda, that was quite something to hear.
Sadly Youtube has the whole thing BUT it's broken down into sections but this gives me the tingles each time I hear it & believe me I play her session with Gold Panda several times a week.

PLUS imho she is ssssoooo fit, OMFG I just love her, I bet she can cook the most amazing Curry, looks smoking HOT & you could never get fed uyp of her naked & she plays the Sitar like that, for me that's a perfect woman.

mr peabody

Staff member
Oumou Sangaré [2015] - Moussolou

Oumou's first album established her as a major star in Mali and beyond. Its title translates as "Women" and many of the songs deal with her experiences as a woman in a male-dominated country.

Last edited: