• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The way opiates change the brain

casualdruguser

Greenlighter
How exactly do the changes to the brain occur? I have seen analogies such as 'gates' that open to receive dopamine when a user of drugs injects their morphine and the more often you use the more you need and the more 'gates' open to receive it and so you need more and more dopamine over time to experience the same joy.

But what is the difference between someone who achieves that rush via drugs compared to someone who achieves that rush from sex or skydiving or something? If you are constantly stimulating your dopamine centers then why do people who achieve the rush via natural means not get withdrawal symptoms when they stop these activities after long periods of engaging in them?

I don't pretend to be an expert but here is a very lay explanation the way I understand it. Perhaps someone can elaborate and get more in-depth?

Basically we are all capable of producing chemicals that stimulate our dopamine receptors. Our bodies do so to some degree all of the time. A little or a lot, different people produce different amounts and different situations stimulate more or less production. Everyone's body has a base-line requirement for these chemicals. When one becomes dependent on opioids, basically it is because their body hasn't had to make its own chemicals to stimulate the dopamine receptors, the opiate/oid is doing it for them so it essentially "forgets" how. It no longer needs to because the dopamine receptors are being stimulated by the drugs.
Withdrawal is essentially the absence of a chemical that stimulates the dopamine receptors. Since you are no longer stimulating the receptors with drugs and your body has "forgotten" how to make its own, there isn't anything there to stimulate your receptors anymore, and it feels like shit.
After a few days or so, your body starts to realize it needs to turn the chemical production back on, and starts to wake up and "remember" how to do so. It takes a while for your brain to completely remember how, that's why so many people not only experience a period of acute withdrawals, but also a period of longer-lasting symptoms known as "PAWS" or Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Their bodies are now producing those chemicals, just not as much as one would be had they not been supplying their receptors artificially with drugs. It takes a while for your brain to remember how much, and when it needs to start the production process. It makes some, but not quite enough to completely put things back to normal for quite some time.
Even though a non-addict is not always doing something to make their body produce high levels of dopamine receptor stimulating chemicals, they are at least producing the minimum amount their body requires for it to be comfortable, unlike after someone goes through withdrawals. The receptor-stimulating chemical production in these cases is below the baseline requirements they need to keep their receptors happy, leading to symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other less-intense-than-acute-but-still-sucky symptoms.
Sorry, that probably came across more messy and all-over-the-place than I wanted it to. Hope it makes at least SOME sense. Sorry. It would be great if someone could clean that up a bit for me and maybe make it make more sense.....?
Just figured I'd give the answer a shot since no one has yet. Please BL, correct me if I'm wrong....I by no means am trying to or hope to spread mis-information. Hope it helps man....that was a really good question. I actually thought it was super smart and made a lot of sense.
I wonder, would doing some of the activities that stimulate the necessary chemicals while experience withdrawals or PAWS help alleviate some of the symptoms? Even just for the period of time you were doing it? Would it potentially help your body "remember" faster? I mean, after the acute phase that is, when your brain realizes it needs to start working again and gets things going a little. Would it be like brain games? Re-training your brain and neuroplasticity and all that? Something to ponder........

The difference is when u add drugs (external substances), the body sees/knows something is changing the homeostasis of the body. The feedback mechanism the body has, stops producing the natural neurotransmitter in attempt to stabilize the balance the drugs have changed.
These changes take time to occur and also switch back to normal. This length of time is usually correlated with the withdrawal time.
Natural highs still cause us have the memory of the event and the want to do it again, but since the body initiated the change (it produced the happy chemicals and at natural neurotransmitter levels, receptors aren't being damaged thus not deregulated or changed to protect them. Which is what happens when external drugs are added, at least with the commonly addictive substances we know of.

The difference is when u add drugs (external substances), the body sees/knows something is changing the homeostasis of the body. The feedback mechanism the body has, stops producing the natural neurotransmitter in attempt to stabilize the balance the drugs have changed.
These changes take time to occur and also switch back to normal. This length of time is usually correlated with the withdrawal time.
Natural highs still cause us have the memory of the event and the want to do it again, but since the body initiated the change (it produced the happy chemicals and at natural neurotransmitter levels, receptors aren't being damaged thus not deregulated or changed to protect them. Which is what happens when external drugs are added, at least with the commonly addictive substances we know of.

100% correct. Don't forget, while morphine binds at all 3 types of receptors, each receptor has subtypes. Fentanyl is more selective to mu1 and has no affinity to other receptors. Sufentanil is SO selective that it's TI is over 12000. Overlay of minimum energy conformation of sufentanil and thienorphine will place the thienorphine rings over each other. Overlay the benzenes as well and finally overlay the amines. This shows what gives high affinity, selectivity & action (full agonist, partial agonist, silent agonist, inverse agonist and antagonist).

Ehh I learned something lol. I've never seen you around clubcard, whatsup from Chi-cago <--Pronounced lol