• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Thread v2.0

I do 90mg of methadone at the clinic. Before I dose, I take 75mg of Lyrica and 50 mg of DXM. About an hour later, another 75mg of Lyrica and a little later another 50 of DXM. Thoughts? Anyone?

Do Lyrica or DXM potentiate opioids, or are they just a good combination?

(not rhetorical, I don't know for sure)

Hey guys, I've been taking hydrocodone for years and I'm looking for ways to get the most of it. I've tried white grapefruit juice in the past but honestly have never noticed much from it. I take around 30 mg of hydro per dose, and I was thinking of trying Tagament since I've never given it a shot.

How much Tagament to take and when? Do I also need to take an antacid at some point before the hydro? Thanks for any advice.

My girlfriend swears by turmeric and or green tea freshly brewed as potentiators which I haven't seen on this or any other site listed as potentiators, I can't tell if they do increase the effects but I still usually will take the aforementioned (10-5 min prior) after I take dxm(30 min prior) and Benadryl (15-25 min prior). I also try and take like quarter teaspoon of baking soda 5-10 min before eating oxy.

My girlfriend swears by turmeric and or green tea freshly brewed as potentiators which I haven't seen on this or any other site listed as potentiators, I can't tell if they do increase the effects but I still usually will take the aforementioned (10-5 min prior) after I take dxm(30 min prior) and Benadryl (15-25 min prior). I also try and take like quarter teaspoon of baking soda 5-10 min before eating oxy.

An ingredient in turmeric may possibly help prevent tolerance and dependence to opioids, not potentiate it. There are so many problems with it, I wrote a fucking essay. Which I spared this thread by leaving it on my "blog." Bottom line though, it's just a waste of money for you.

Not your fault TommyTerds, I just got a bit into it. Never even got to why you would take baking soda before oxy? A quarter teaspoon wouldn't change the pH at all and would give you way too much sodium.

Can't see anything wrong with tea. Too much will cause hypocalcemia, though.

Sodium bicarbonate is an alkalising agent, it increases stomach PH, and typically higher ph = better opioid absorption

There are other antacids, of course - though occasionally taking a half teaspoon of baking soda is fairly benign unless sodium is a personal issue(health/otherwise)

And dxm prevents tolerance (as sure most regulars know) though not sure of pure potentiating potential

I am not understanding the cytochrome p450 inhibition literature in the way that it is being used here. Analgesic effect requires metabolism, if you inhibit an opiate's metabolism why is this desirable, with the exception of use with norbuprenorphine? Just trying to understand why the grapefruit, pomelo, etc is used deliberately... is it broadly misunderstood?

Cranberry juice does not give the same effect as grapefruit juice and as I'm sure it's been said before use only 100% pure WHITE grapefruit juice (preferably not from concentrate, however it will still work). Your welcome in advance.
Grapefruit juice or Pumelo, variously spelled, also Pomelo, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ You're thinking too hard..

It's inhibiting the elimination of the drug, thus staying in your system longer, thus absorbing more.

I am not understanding the cytochrome p450 inhibition literature in the way that it is being used here. Analgesic effect requires metabolism, if you inhibit an opiate's metabolism why is this desirable, with the exception of use with norbuprenorphine? Just trying to understand why the grapefruit, pomelo, etc is used deliberately... is it broadly misunderstood?

Grapefruit juice or Pumelo, variously spelled, also Pomelo, etc.

SS37dOH is right, folks are generally trying to inhibit the enzymes that break down the drug. That way the drug sometimes lingers longer in your system.

There are at least two drugs that do require metabolism to get to a more potent metabolite, and those are codeine and tramadol. Codeine gets converted to morphine in your liver, and tramadol to nor-tramadol (desmethyl-tramadol), both requiring CYP2D6 (dihydrocodeine conversion to dihydromorphine does too, but the rate is negligible). You want to avoid inhibiting CYP2D6 with these drugs.

Nor-buprenorphine isn't a drug, but a metabolite of buprenorphine, and it doesn't hardly enter your brain. That's an example of where you might want to inhibit the enzyme that converts buprenorphine to nor-buprenorphine, since the first has analgesic properties and the second doesn't.

A better example is with oxycodone. CYP3A4 converts it to nor-oxycodone, which is active but weak. Meanwhile, CYP2D6 converts it to the more potent oxymorphone/Numorphan. So inhibiting CYP3A4 leaves more for CYP2D6.

How much gain a person gets is questionable, since all of them get conjugated too, meaning your kidneys just piss out most of them.l

There are lots of different plant sources for enzyme inhibitors. Grapefruit juice is actually pretty messy and inhibits lots of liver enzymes. Better options are things like cimetidine, which are cleaner and shorter-acting in their inhibition.

^ Yes however White Grapefruit juice for example is great for things like methadone, and certain other medications with high first pass/a liter of grapefruit juice and cimetidine would probably triple the BA% of oral buprenorphine (why the hell you would that, who knows? Just saying it's possible

And GFJ is benign; while taking 800mg cimetidine BID is not (u unless you need it, for, you know, medical reasons)

And taking more than a gram before your dose will work , m, though it may screw your stomach and hormones even if done often

Point is, GFJ is more potent if you can stomach it, although Cimetidine can be a great inhibitor,(especially fir opioids that need a high PH for optimal absorption) it does target 2D, and is inappropriate for the prodrugs mentioned - Carisoprodol is also effectively a prodrug for Meprobamate-although 2D isn't involved Z, it's another CYP-enzyme

Grapefruit is more broad and less consistent-it depends on the type of grapefruit , the quality of the batch, and it can vary widely

Btw, DXM doesn't doesn't really potentiatee opioids, it just helps to slow or(supposedly ) prevent tolerance

And Kyrics is just a safer substitute for double downing on downers- and potentiators are complex, and drug dependent-certain medications are effected by urine PH and you can even reduce protein binding-Seriously you could write an essay on the subject

I dont have any science to back up this claim, but I've found dxm to be one of the better potentiators.

I've only tried it with oxycodone.

I would guesstimate psycho active and analgesic effects nearly doubled when dxm was added.

Note that even though analgesic effects presumably doubled, the duration in between last dose and wd onset was nearly cut in half. For instance I usually have about 24 hours before wd symptoms, when I add dxm, or dph for that matter, wd seems to set in within 12 hours.

^ There is evidence that DXM increases opioid analgesia and I think (?) slightly reduced opioid use ?

I was talking mostly therapeutic/ non-recreational doses for people pretty much dependent, DXM's nmda effects are more relevant long term

No idea how first plateau or 2nd Would effect it- Hydroxyzine, AGAIN, people, is a top 5 and really should be available to any opioid addict

Edit: DPH inhibits certain enzymes , and actually has multiple effects-not to mention, anticholinergics are just weird , they delay benzodiazepines onset/absorption, and other weird stuff - Prefer Hydroxyzine, otherwise take dph or Doxlyamine, which is actually an underrated antihistamine that is very relaxing and less side effects (or pronethazine, thought I am supposed to avoid certain H1 inverse meds

Last edited:

Dextromethorphan has some weirdness with NMDA receptors, part of what lends its dissociative effects. And NMDAr's are behind a lot of the nasty withdrawal symptoms for booze, benzos, opiates, probably any downer that's vaguely "rewarding".
Mr. Lorne:
fellow staff member, have you considered a potentiation info-sticky, now that you have the power? It is a HR issue, for those arguing it's about staying high longer, since combining drugs can easily go bad if you don't know what you're doing.
I guess I should check staff threads more often? No one tells me these things, except for senior mods, so technically I knew before you did, just not when.

I can even help format!!! After you've written it up. My whole, come-up-with-formatting-but-then-deciding-to-learn-html-and-CSS-first, isn't the best approach.

Last edited:
And you didn't even send me a postcard? And you knew? After all we've been through!

I am afraid those who are reckless may try it with loperamide and die, although you are my format man, Scrofula

Whahahaha!!

Step 1 complete- I mean cool

Even as a firm supporter of Tweakers' Rights {amendments 29-7hey who is it what's that} I have a hard time advocating meth as a potential potentiator.

Haha :)

Thr Ultimate potentiatior: Meth- Wonder if straight amphetamines would have any similar effect?

Just, for the sake of Science: Actually, Caffiene blocks GABA-A receptors, reducing benzodiazepine effects for example

Need to give that a read-Think they prescribe 10-15mg dexmethamphetamine- IDK what a "low dose" potentiatior would be

Hey all. I know codeine isn’t a well respected drug. I gotta admit it’s weak for me too. But I like it that way.... when I drink I don’t go straight for the whiskey. I like a beer now and then just to get a bit buzzed. Anywho I don’t even drink alcohol.

Just reporting in that hat for my own body chemistry nothing commonly listed potentiates codeine. The only way I can make it work now is by doing a nice activity after dosing. Something wholesome like tidying my in laws house or doing charity work. Lol. Sounds weird but if I combine codeine with those things I get that old euphoric high again.

Tyrosine, whilst not potentiating the codeine, did make me feel really good. My understanding is that tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine. And should you take that then codeine then the body is able to make more dopamine. It might be wrong but it works for me. I find that taking tyrosine by itself on my no drugs days doesn’t have an impact. I felt so good from tyrosine and 256mg codeine that I couldn’t sleep one night. I just lay there thinking about how great everything is. When I did fall asleep my partner said to me I was laughing in my dreams. Which I can believe as they were great dreams that night!

oh hey I found a box of 1 year old tramadols at a house I was clearing out (friends grandfather that died). I found and kept them and potentiated them with GFJ (100ml) and a fexofenadine 180mg. That worked. It’s just codeine that gets potentiated by nothing. Nil!

lyrica and gabapentin go hand in hand with any opiate but that’s common knowledge.

It's better as an anti - emetic and to reduce histamine release; if your not used to 1st gen antihistamines, 25-50mg, especially 50mg shall have a relaxing synergy

Though as I told you in your codiene thread, diphenhydramine idea mild inhibitor of the CYP2D enzyme; that means, especially with multiple doses, it blocks the enzyme that converts codiene and tramadol into their active Mu opioids (Morphine for codiene, M1 for Tramadol) however, codiene is heavy on histamine release, so the benefits of a SINGLE dose of diphenhydramine, taken almost simultaneously, outweigh the minor risk of reducing morphine production?l, because with enough codiene, your going to get morphine, unless you have a genetic deficiency in 2D, or are taking multiple inhibitors, or taking them daily m

If I were less lazy, I would update this thing, to explain potentiation better, as it is like an art form; 3A4 inhibitors are your best bet, to increase Morphine or M1 production

Maybe someday...