• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Small & Handy HXE Thread (3-HO-2’-oxo-PCE)

Yes, provided that one doesn't also partially or entirely reduce the double-bonded oxygen on the cyclohexanone ring. HI would probably be far too aggressive for such an undertaking; perhaps HBr or BBr3 might work. Or even diphenyl lithium phosphide. But the cyclohexanone must be kept intact.

On another note:

To the extent of my knowledge, the presence of brownish impurities in the context of arylcyclohexylamine drugs is generally due to unreacted aryl Grignard reagent - Phenyl magnesium bromide in the case of PCP, or cyclopentyl magnesium bromide for ketamine which would also most likely be employed in the synthesis of substituted compounds like MXE and such. I do know for certain that Grignards do not like to react in the presence of terminal oxygens. In some cases they fail to react entirely. Perhaps this is the problem that was encountered with HXE - an earlier post mentioning the "brown" impurities present in the final product. Proper distillation would have easily separated the desired material from any unreacted precursors, so whomever was making this was not practicing proper laboratory purification. Most, if not all arylcyclohexylamines should appear as pure white to off-white powders in their final state as acid salts. Obviously this does not necessarily mean that they are pure. PCC (1-piperidine cyclohexane carbonitrile, employed commonly in the manufacture of PCP) is virtually indistinguishable from PCP itself in pure form.

Yes, provided that one doesn't also partially or entirely reduce the double-bonded oxygen on the cyclohexanone ring. HI would probably be far too aggressive for such an undertaking; perhaps HBr or BBr3 might work. Or even diphenyl lithium phosphide. But the cyclohexanone must be kept intact.

I don't expect HBr/HI would react with the ketone, thankfully. Cyclohexanones are quite robust to acid treatment in my experiences.

To the extent of my knowledge, the presence of brownish impurities in the context of arylcyclohexylamine drugs is generally due to unreacted aryl Grignard reagent

Hm, I don't think so. If I were a betting man, I would put money on the table that there'd be no Grignard reagent remaining - excess phenylmagnesium bromide (c.f. phenyllithium, they are interchangable and have similar reactivity) will react with even trace amounts of water. They are very moisture sensitive and are easily destroyed by as little as a draft of moist air... hence why Grignards seem to run better in desert environments sometimes. The decomposition/quench product of phenylmagnesium bromide are benzene and magnesium hydroxide/bromide.

None of the impurities would be expected to pass through an acid-base extraction: there should be no amines in a bottle of PhMgBr. So any colored impurities should be removed, likely at the final step where the free base is precipitated.

Having free protons (alcohol groups, carboxylic acids, etc) will react with the Grignard and destroy it. In practice, the acidity of the phenol on HXE would be high enough that I would imagine it could be deprotonated with e.g. sodium hydroxide, and manipulated as a phenolate salt. A similar technique is used in naproxen synthesis, where a Grignard couples a carboxylic-acid bearing group (present as a magnesium bromide salt) onto the aromatic napthalene. The final work up protonates the salt and you end up with a carboxylic acid.

As for ketamine, the Grignard is conducted rather early in the synthesis, and I would expect there would be at least one purification step along the way, making it unlikely in my eyes for a colored impurity to carry all the way through multiple reactions with no change.

As for ketamine, the Grignard is conducted rather early in the synthesis, and I would expect there would be at least one purification step along the way, making it unlikely in my eyes for a colored impurity to carry all the way through multiple reactions with no change.

You do have a point there.

Just read an article (J. Med. Chem. 1982,25,435-440) describing the synthesis of 2-,3,-and 4-hydroxy derivatives of PCP; they used boron tribromide in dichloromethane to demethylate the corresponding anisyl derivatives (i.e. 2-MeO, 3-MeO- and 4-MeO-PCP). This process might work when extended to the ketone compounds such as MXE.

The problem with something like this lies in protection of the hydroxyl substituent on the phenyl ring. When employing cyclopentyl magnesium bromide in the construction of the cyclohexanone ring, as one would most likely do, a potential difficulty arises due to the terminal oxygen at the 3-hydroxy position on the phenyl moiety. Grignard reactions do not proceed smoothly, if at all, in the presence of terminal oxygen atoms. Methoxy substitution is much less difficult to work with. I suppose the hydroxyl radical could be added at a later point in the synthesis, or one could even reduce a 3-methoxy to 3-hydroxy, but then the question arises as to how to protect the oxygen on the cyclohexane ring. This "HXE" would be a difficult compound to synthesize, but certainly not impossible.

I would also, dissociative lover that I am, very much like to try it. MXE had a special magic that I've never experienced with any other material. Miss that one. It is still technically legal here in the United States, but I don't see anyone trying to manufacture and sell it... oh well. I would speculate that "HXE" would be much closer in terms of subjective experience to MXE than MXPr is, as others have already stated.

Hey there, welcome to Bluelight. :)

I agree that MXE had a certain magic to it that I have not seen anywhere else. If only we knew what we had, when we had it. I am continually flabbergasted by the utter lack of anyone producing it, when it used to be so cheap and readily available, and its lack of illegality everywhere, and its passionate fan base.

I know some very big drug movers in this country have been trying to find people willing to synthesize MXE in china and asia for good money but since its on the UN banned list these days and banned in china no Chinese want to risk it to make it even if the money is good for them.

I am continually flabbergasted by the utter lack of anyone producing it, when it used to be so cheap and readily available, and its lack of illegality everywhere, and its passionate fan base.
It's arguably scheduled in Canada under our nebulous analogue laws, unfortunately.

As I understand it, one could easily O-demethylate MXE to form HXE with something like thiphenolate, boron tribromide, hydrobromic or hydroiodic acid.
But at that point, why wouldn't you sell MXE instead? Because if it's for legality reasons you couldn't be making it in the first place.

It's arguably scheduled in Canada under our nebulous analogue laws, unfortunately.

By "lack of illegality everywhere", I meant it's not illegal everywhere... it is a lot of places, but not in the USA.

By "lack of illegality everywhere", I meant it's not illegal everywhere... it is a lot of places, but not in the USA.
Ah, that makes sense. Although in the end, the availability of an NPS like this mostly depends on its legal status in one country: China.

It is true that most RCs are made in China, repackaged, and sold elsewhere. I think MXE would actually have reasonable potential in the American market, but the focus here is so much on methamphetamine and heroin that little else is manufactured, aside from a little specialty LSD now and then. PCP has waned in popularity, but it is still manufactured here to some extent as well. But as I said, the US illicit drug market is so caught up in meth and heroin that I don't think we will see production and sale of drugs like MXE anytime soon.

Plus there is less incentive for domestic American RC vendors after what happened to one man who was selling 25x-NBOMe series drugs; someone died of an overdose of 25I-NBOMe, and he was successfully prosecuted for second-degree murder, in spite of the legality of his products (at the time).

Was mxe really that great? I never ordered when i had the chance because dissociatives don't make me feel objectively "good" like opioids, but who knows.

I bought a gram of MXE after reading the spiritual trips many were getting from it. I had never tried a NMDA agonist, not even Ket when it was flowing in the 90's.

The MXE was something else. I used to take it along with psychedelics and would ALWAYS get a ++++ trip. I was God, the universe and everything else inside and outside of time. It elevated my mood and brought me a degree of inner peace.

The gram was followed by a bag of 3 and bags of 5 grams and I used it regularly until it disappeared (had I known it was going for good I would have mortgaged the house!!!) I have some I am keeping for the summer. There's about 1/4 g left and after that - it will be no more :(

If only someone would synthesise it they would be able to make loads of $$$$ as it will be devoured by those who used it and pounced on by those who missed the boat. I am so glad I managed to get it and if I was only to have one substance for the rest of my life MXE would win hands down.

Someone on here has written a book about it, a real love affair that only a unique molecule like MXE could create.

If only someone would synthesise it they would be able to make loads of $$$$ as it will be devoured by those who used it and pounced on by those who missed the boat. I am so glad I managed to get it and if I was only to have one substance for the rest of my life MXE would win hands down.

Though I am by no means a professional chemist, I have quite a bit more than a layman's knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry. This is something that I've considered, but as I am already a convicted felon and have gone to prison for clandestine manufacture of PCP, I may never be able to do anything of the sort ever again; I am "on the radar" so to speak, for the rest of my life, unfortunately.

My advice is:

1. Don't manufacture psychoactive drugs unless you know exactly what you are doing from a chemistry standpoint, and
2. Be prepared to face the legal consequences - the general rule is that someone in law enforcement will catch up to you eventually.

Though I am by no means a professional chemist, I have quite a bit more than a layman's knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry. This is something that I've considered, but as I am already a convicted felon and have gone to prison for clandestine manufacture of PCP, I may never be able to do anything of the sort ever again; I am "on the radar" so to speak, for the rest of my life, unfortunately.

It would be worth relocating to a more liberal country and setting up shop there. You may have to take a while to build up contacts but once you did you'd be drinking coffee from golden mugs while you watch your 292" TV in the penthouse of your own tower block.

Seriously though, recreational market aside, I bet there would be loads of the MAPS people/psychiatrists would love to get their hands on it too. I'd imagine there would be huge potential in treating addictions, depression and anxiety.

I have actually found a vendor with this on their list. I have no idea but there are no bad or good reviews to find yet. Only a website that copied their website that IS a confirmed scammer. I really do hope this one is for real. I would perhaps try a small amount? I am saving up for an other order right now though. ***Deleted****

Sorry, I won't do it again. ************

Last edited:
May of 2012 my wife flushed 90 grams of my stash down the drain...along with a 1/2 g of 2-CE

It was a sad spring.....first summercamp I'd ever missed

I know the feeling. I had someone break in my previous appartment only to steal my 100gr of diphenidine.

I flushed a gr of 2c-p once on a bad trip : s yes,, i do regret that now. shit happens, and then you flush it : s