View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Small & Handy DET thread

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
A bit surprising that BL doesn't have a B'nD-style thread for DET but that is understandable since it is so rare. That said, I'd been blessed with the opportunity to try it... a good friend gave me a small sample out of his collection (so don't get too excited, it is still off the market AFAIK).

50mg of the freebase were measured out (+/-3mg). Nice yellow crystals, strong indole smell. It was dissolved in vinegar (5% acetic acid) which either wasn't enough to get it all to dissolve, or that the acetate isn't the best salt.

This was loaded into a syringe using a cotton filter, which in turn was fitted with a '22 wheel filter and piggybacked into another syringe with a needle on it. By the time it got through all this, the fluid amount was also reduced, so I assume I got no more than 40mg total dose, probably less. Still, it was fully-active at a +++ at that dose!

The buildup was very gentle and gradual. The effect was very "stroboscopic" - in that the drug seemed to be indecisive of what it felt like doing to me. Here there is some imagery of a pretty fractal, there is a small analysis of a certain person in my life, yet there a certain song kept playing in my head with strong synaesthesia.

At the peak, all these things seemed to have gotten a bit more together. Still, although powerful and full of potential, the experience was found to be very "malleable" and it did not feel like the drug itself had a drive to go anywhere. The ego remained pretty entact and there was a lot of clarity in thought. This is absolutely nothing like DPT or DMT (as ayahuasca), a very unique psychedelic. It seemed that I could stir the trip to whatever direction I wanted, more or less, but this may have been dose-related.

Also make no mistake, that while it is very gentle and clear, this is still a fully-fledged classical psychedelic. Of note is the fact that is far superior than its 4-AcO homologue (as is the trend with me seems - simple tryptamines > ring substitutions).

There was a 30min peak during which there was a very strong jaw tremmor identical to DPT, but also that themes were coming together: and that these themes were very positive, despite what a negative time I'm in. I found myself highlighting the fact that I am liked, and how people actually do like me - something I am generally not conscious of. At the 2h mark there was a sharp drop in effects, with an almost complete return to baseline at the 4h point, at which point I took a nap. During this drop, there was a sudden strong urge for intimacy. Not necessarily sex, just a very sensual urge.

This has definitely become an instant classic, and I will be experimenting more with it at a higher dose and perhaps a better salt (fumarate?).

It has also been a perfect re-introduction to psychedelics for me, after several years of avoiding them.

Last edited:
Awesome, I've wanted to hear something about this stuff. Might have the chance to taste it too; wonder how insufflation would be?

Thanks for the report Jammy :)

Well, welcome back then! I'm planning a rendezvous with DET over winter break. I need to decide exactly how I'm going to ration it though. I'll report back after the fact.

Def the gentle one among the simple tryptamines. Does what DMT ~& DPT does, but isn't 'in your face' and pushing the issue (DPT can get a bit uncomfortable at times because of that). Strange seeing how the diethyl analogue of psilocin is, IMO, more anxiogenic than any of the other 4-hydroxytryptamines

^ I've found the acetate ester to not be too anxiogenic, weird yes, but definitely easier than psilocin... not sure about the hydroxy.

But DET itself definitely won my respect. I will be trying it again at a higher dose, but damn this was the first time I'd used wheel filters and I didn't realize they wasted so much...

Well improved in that I can now IM powders without freaking the fuck out (so much so that I never IMed powders before), but wasted in that it seems to eat part of the dose.

Are there any aspects of the trip that you would describe as bridging the experiential gap between DMT and DPT? Those two are highly distinct in my experience, and I've always hoped, probably naively, that using all three at the same time would cohere into something profoundly expansive.

This is one of the few simple tryptamines i have left to try.
Hopefully it passes through my hands someday :)

Thanks for the report Jammy.

Anyone else with experience with DET want to add their thoughts.

Are there any aspects of the trip that you would describe as bridging the experiential gap between DMT and DPT? Those two are highly distinct in my experience, and I've always hoped, probably naively, that using all three at the same time would cohere into something profoundly expansive.

I agree that DMT and DPT are very different, and that DET is just as different, too. The three have little in common other than being tryptamines :). Each seems to have a different use, although I have yet to try DMT as non-ayahuasca. I'd definitely be up to IMing or IVing it if found pure.

In my experience ayahuasca is superior to IM synthetic DMT. The real advantage of synthetic DMT in my opinion is being able to combine it with things that are contraindicated with MAOIs or are likely to cause nausea with ayahuasca or other bad reactions (MDMA, aMT, ketamine, etc.). IV also allows higher dosing for those who find smoking really harsh.

When I combine DET and DPT with DMT, the DMT may be in the form of ayahuasca. The MAOI would keep all of them going longer, which would be nice. I haven't noticed a detrimental effect of using MAOIs (harmala) with DPT either, so I imagine whatever tainting influence harmala may have on the combination it probably won't make the experience any less fascinating or valuable.

It's interesting that DET is so unique, rather than an average of DMT and DPT. A lot of MET reports indicate it's fairly similar to DMT, but lighter, so I wasn't sure. I assume you haven't tried MET for a comparison? I'm excited to get to know DET on its own as well as introduce it to its homologic siblings.

I have tried neither MET nor MiPT (never really pursued them), but now (as in these days after the DET), my interest is roused again in simple tryptamines, and would try MET and MiPT if found (and AET, and any other available simple trypts, though I am not aware of any others available that I haven't tried).

But btw, to one clue to your wondering is MiPT's relation to DMT and DiPT (or lack thereof). MiPT (at least, from the reports) neither produces the out-worldly experiences of DMT, nor the pitch-shift of DiPT. It is a completely distinct drug.

I will probably be trying PiPT very soon, and will report on my findings with that...

^simple trypts are very special (at least the few that ive tried)

I think you would have really appreciated MET.

I took me a while to really understand it, due to its subtlety, but then it was like something clicked and towards the end of my gram i was loving the stuff.

I think you would have really appreciated MET.

I took me a while to really understand it, due to its subtlety, but then it was like something clicked and towards the end of my gram i was loving the stuff.
what is your preferred route of administration of MET?

smoking.

I never got to try it IM, which i feel may be the best MOA for MET and most other simple trypts.

This tryptamine has the broadest spectra of individual reactions to be seen in people who take it, perhaps as broad as are the individual reactions to AMT. Ranging from "took 500 mg and felt almost at the baseline" to almost DMT-like experiences with 180-200 mg per os. What I've heard about it from various people most frequently was, either a weak tryptamine akin to MiPT with little to no changes in sensory perception and weak to moderate impact on thinking, and that is what it was like in my own experience. Or a tryptamine somewhat more intense, though not a strong one anyway, with more pronounced visuals and sometimes pleasant somatic (like those of own body motion) or tactile sensations, and with mind effects being moderate to strong - so to be enough to induce a troubling desorientation in highest doses. Individuals with an almost DMT-like reaction seem to be a rarity.

DET has a pronounced bodyload during the come-up, much stronger than that of classic dimethyltryptamines. With a dose higher than 120 mg of the HCl salt taken orally it resembles a food poisoning: yo're going hot and cold all over, the heart rate is increased, plus sweating, nausea and weakness. It passes as soon as the effects reached plateau, but not completely. An indefinite sickness that seem like being linked with motor coordination impairment is always present in tryptamines bearing long alkyls in my experience. It is perhaps not something unique to long alkyls, such coordination impairment is also to be found in DMT, although not annoing or in any other way unpleasant. In DET this is coupled with feelings of being intoxicated and slightly sick, everything taken together resembles GHB. It feels exactly the same in DPT, though much more intense so to be compared with a GHB overdose.

I find some effects classic tryptamines are famous for to be reduced to almost nil in DET and completely absent in DPT, with no other interesting properties added to compensate it. The larger the substituents on the amino function are, the worse it gets. Unfortunately this is a rule and not an accident, true for any tryptamine with both alkyls on the amine function longer than methyls. It would, perhaps be better to say that the nature of their effects is so much different from those of classic tryptamines, that trying to make comparisons between them is not even legitimate. And unfortunately almost all of TIHKAL is about replacing these methyls with longer alkyls, with such defective tryptamines as a result.

Most importantly, long alkyls lack the delicate emotional amplification that make an ordinary perception to become so exciteful in classics. For the same reason these tryptamines are anything but "spiritual". There is no feeling of a wonder and no "wonders" do happen. The experience lacks development, and the trip is uneventful, even a trip as intense as 100 mg DPT i/m. DPT is an extreme case for me in being devoid of any substantial emotional experience as well as imaginery. DET feels like it could be a little more promising, but anything it might have to offer would apparently be beyond my reach.

In the emotional state I used to get from DET there is some inner warmth that has a (classic) tryptamine touch to it, but that warmth is something more like a contentment, not an amusement or wonder I'd expect from a comparable low dose of mushrooms.

Usually I do not have any OEV in <150 mg DET to speak about, those that are present are very simplistic, like thin concentric circles covering the smooth surfaces, and brighter colors. CEVs are mostly coloured clouds and phosphenes. There are no scenes or easy fantasy with the eyes closed as long as the dose remains below 150 mg. Raising the dose above 150 mg make it a little more rich, but also makes the bodyload more intense, so that it can no longer be easily ignored.

I could only get something comparable to a moderate phenylethylamine trip out of DET with a 300 mg dose. That was the highest dose I ever took and it made me feeling sick for quite a long time, having ruined it completely.

Even being so pathetic it has some positives if a more positive description is required. It is a mostly pleasant little nothing, not too long and rather harmless. Still not an extraordinary drug though.

^^ Erny makes, and then illustrates some good points....ie the variability in response to DET. (and other tryptamines IMO....I'm suprised of your take on lengthening the alkyl chain Erny, I get almost the exact opposite of effects, esp concerning DPT!) And I am assuming your ROA wAs oral with DET by the description and dose?

I really always enjoyed DET. Very mellow and calming, I've described it a psychedelic blanket in years past, or as the MMDA of alkyltryptamines. I always used i.m administration, and usually at around 50-100 mg. 70-80 wasnt overly intense, but i rarely pushed it higher, because i wasnt looking for overly intense. I'd climb smooth and quick, slight tremor, and start to descend around an hour and a half, and quickly down and done by 3. I could almost drift off into reverie at the peak, verging on a twilight sleep, but only mentally. My body definitely retained some physical stimulation throughout.....similiar to the dreaminess of psilocin.

I really used to enjoy mixing alkyltryptamines with ketamine, but for some reason DET didnt live up to the expectations set by its brethren. It wasn't bad per se, it just didn't synergize to the phenomenal degree that DMT and esp DPT did. Goes well with cannabis.

Cheers.

And I am assuming your ROA wAs oral with DET by the description and dose?
All the doses I wrote there were oral. I have tried to smoke DET but found this not worth the effort. The smoke was harsh, perhaps not too harsh to complain but I had to smoke much and enough for smoking it to be unpleasant, >50 mgs.

Also tried to i/m it several times, this ROA was frequently one of the best for tryptamines in my experience. But with DET I found the bodyload during the come-up to be extremely unpleasant at the higher levels, though shortened in duration if compared with the oral ROA. For that reason I used an obscure trick to lenghthen it when taking ~ 200 mgs orally: I took it in a freebase form, as large crystals, and in a gelatine capsule. That lenghthened the come-up somewhat without weakening too much the intensity of the effects.