• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Small & Handy DET thread

Also tried to i/m it several times, this ROA was frequently one of the best for tryptamines in my experience. But with DET I found the bodyload during the come-up to be extremely unpleasant at the higher levels, though shortened in duration
Interestingly the bodyload in EPT (N-ethyl-N-propyl tryptamine) and MPT (N-methyl-N-propyl) wasn't anything like a problem, being much milder than in DET in both of those. EPT was perhaps just potent enough for me not to intend to raise the dose too high so to become sick. It was also rather mild in MET and MiPT.

But DET, DPT and DiPT were all more or less unpleasant at the physical level.

^Heh, a quick look at mi5's last post date indicates the user is probably still around, but I'm betting they know that by now. I never did get to do the DMT, DET, DPT combination, regrettably. I was annoyed to find that the last of the small sample I had of it was absorbed into a partially dissolved plastic bag (thought I had stuck it in a vial, whoops). I did get one IM shot of it in with aMT -- the combo psychedelic I wanted to try it with. There wasn't much synergy like with DPT, though. For about 25 minutes the, I think 35mg of, DET just overwhelmed the aMT and then quickly faded (onset it 5 minutes, plateauing at a ++.5).

Despite the arguably conflating effects of the aMT, judging from the body vibes and visuals of my two IM MET experiences, DET is very similar (certainly closer than anything else, which isn't surprising). Of course MET is pretty rare itself, but it's still far more accessible than DET. I could just substitute that for DET if I was going to do the triple simple tryptamine combo above – it's about the same concept – but since the glitchy repeating effects on time perception described in my DPT report “Turing Back the Second Seconds,” the two times I've used that drug at lower doses have resulted in milder versions of the same highly distracting effects i.e., it's different now and can't play the role I intended for it originally. I still think the combination is worth a shot (pun intended) for anybody who's got the three.

Last edited:
Although it's the golden age for tryptamine access, I've still never seen this one! But I want to... anyone have any reports? Someone told me it was around recently though it went over my head...

Wow, I can't believe there are still so few posts in this thread! I tried some DET last year. I had about 50mg of what I believe was the fumarate salt and I took it orally. I was worried it wouldn't be enough based on the dose range in TIHKAL, but surprisingly it was a solid dose. It's less potent than MiPT but at least twice as potent as MPT. It felt like what you might imagine it would be like if you've done 4-xxx-DET and some of the other simple tryptamines like MPT, MiPT, MET, or EPT.

Thanks for the info cj. When I read about these tryptamines I never thought any of them would be available. In fact for DPT I almost went to that church in New Your City that is allowed to use it. I can not remember the name of the church. But I have heard from people that did that and they got preached at while tripping balls. Not fun. I wanted more info and I can't say what that experience would be like and if they still do that. However we all know fast foward a lot more simple tryptamines have surfaced so finally getting to try DPT was interesting. I always wanted to try DET. But as stated there is little info and little experience reports. There was no RC market growing up for me so it was a classic psychedelic or nothing. By classic we had LSD and mushrooms. Tons of both of those. That was it, unless you want to count PCP.

We do need more DET reports and even more DET. It is technically illegal in the US where as DPT does not seem so. I wonder if the DET legality expands world wide or are there other reasons we don't see it? Who knows. I have done 4-ACO-DET though a while back and liked it.

Last edited:
I found DET to be physically comfortable. Very tryptaminey feeling, but pretty relaxed. Warm neck, similar to DMT. I think I've called it DMT lite in the past, after having tried many tryptamines since trying DET, I would almost say DET not like DMT

Its sparkly and wavy, but most of the real visuals were on the periphery of my vision, so I could never quite focus on them. I was also in a social environment, and there was a fair amount of conversation that occurred smoothly might I add. I wonder if I took a big dose, alone, it would get more visual.

While I would try it again, I am actually much more interested in trying MET. I probably prefer 4-HO-MET to 4-HO-DMT, tho I much prefer 5-MeO-DMT than 5-MeO-MET

I have seen it from time to time but curious if the Return on Investment is worth the price point-is it one of a kind or more of a novelty?

Been a long time lurker here and finally wanted make an account to post my DET experiences spanning over one and a half years. The only routes of administration used were either smoking or oral administration, I’ve never attempted IV or IM as I’m really not a fan of needles lol. I also am not on any medication, I don’t smoke and my drinking is basically only like one beer a month, sometimes not even that much. While I did take other psychedelics before I always waited some 2 weeks before performing the DET studies so tolerance would not be an issue. Long text ahead, be warned. So here it goes.

------Smoking route notes------

So as specified above the stuff was either smoked or taken orally without the need for a MAOI. I’ll first focus on the smoking which can be a bit less interesting in its own right so I can have that out the way. Simply put, when smoked at least for me it’s more of a stoning effect rather than a psychedelic vibe. I still get rushes of energy but I remain very clear-headed throughout the entire experience. The effects generally start in some 30 seconds and can last anywhere from 30 minutes to about one hour. Visuals are very subtle and not really pushing and most of the time I barely get any by smoking unless I take a few good heavy hits which can push me into a DMT-esque territory, although still with less visuals. Music is greatly enhanced, damn, everything sounds absolutely amazing and is a joy to listen to. Unlike DMT, I can usually chainsmoke DET and it still retains the effects with no clear immediate tolerance build-up.

The stuff tastes horrible and for some reason I can barely stand smoking the free base directly. I mainly dissolve some in methanol and soak some inert herb with the solution and allow the alcohol to evaporate. Placebo or not, it makes smoking it feel a bit easier to manage for me. A bong or glass pipe were used in most cases, sometimes a joint (again, with inert herb) when I was out with friends. Overall a relaxing experience, totally different from the oral route that’s for sure. The most prominent visual when chill smoking was probably the text on my phone starting wiggling lol. Colour enhancement and some breathing also visible here and there along with some dizziness that became rather easy to control some 2 minutes after inhaling the smoke. Overall I did smoke the stuff about nine times as not being a regular smoker it can screw my throat up for a few days and also the smoke as I said just tastes and smells vile.

------Oral administration notes------

Now with that out the way, time for the truly good stuff. I want to start off with one neat thing that made me instantly love this compound, and that’s the relatively low tolerance it produces compared to other psychedelics, at least in my case the tolerance being pretty much completely reset in three days, sometimes even faster. Another thing to address is the dosage used, pretty much all trips were 100 milligrams or more, up to 200 (rarely 300 but those are few and fer between). Having tripped on this compound 47 times so far I don’t remember the exact dosage of most trips, but above 100 or so the thing that was mostly affected was the length of the trip and effects being felt much faster, with the intensity of the effects remaining similar.

There are two big sub-categories I’ll address, night-time and day-time trips. The effects vary considerably and holy crap this is exciting as hell!! Soooo, depending the way you start the trip will pretty much dictate the rest of your fun time. Start in darkness with your eyes closed and you’ll have zero open eye visuals even with lights switched on later, start during day-time and you’ll have basically no CEVs but damn the OEVs are super nice. Taking it during the night also results in a more philosophical trip which really really isn’t anything like acid or shrooms. CEVs can really get in your face at times but most of the time they are pretty… well-mannered if I can call them that? They’re not (always) the tunnels of eyes and entities you see on DMT either, but rather arabesque and aztec imagery with a general dreamscape aesthetic. Also eyes, lots of eyes and geometric patterns. Placing the hand on my face allows me to “see” its silhouette in my mind which influences the visuals differently every time. When opening my eyes in the darkness the entire room flickers for a few seconds before I do start having some OEVs. Mind you, these visuals only persist in the darkness, light makes them disappear or greatly diminish in intensity.

Taking the compound on a full stomach (so it takes longer to kick in) and then going to sleep is a whole new experience with the dreams up until the middle of the night being extremely realistic and mindfucky and then suddenly shooting up awake with visuals sometimes morphing with the world in the dream.

The other important way of taking the stuff is obviously during the day. On an empty stomach on a relatively high dose I’ve had it start kicking in in less than 30 minutes, although it usually takes 40 to 50 minutes to feel something. On a full stomach it can take well over one hour and I don’t recommend it. The first signs of the trip materialising are some pretty cool nausea (I never had a problem with nausea and seasickness in general so this just amplifies the trip for me) that feels like you’re at sea and these intertwined blue and red electric “threads” appearing around the contours of all surfaces and objects, these especially become apparent very quickly. Colours start being amplified with the visual field getting on a greenish-blue tint. All textured areas start getting incredibly detailed the more you zoom in on them, paper and walls especially have some of the same textures as seen on acid. The magic is in the details, the more you look at something the more magical it becomes.

Looking at the sky is absolute eye candy especially on a semi-cloudy day. Clouds morphing and aztec imagery spanning across the whole sky pulsating in all directions and the entire field of view changing from a green to yellow to red to blue left me on the edge of my seat. Also music amplifies everything.

The one amazing thing (another one??) about DET is that it’s so clear-headed, there’s none of the LSD or shroom mindfuck and I’m not forced to think about my life choices, I can totally relax and become totally invested in the visuals. Sure the head-space is still affected to a certain degree but it’s more philosophical and coming out with new theories rather than having your problems materialising into unavoidable thoughts. The only experience that really made me think my life through was my second DET trip but I’ll touch on that later down the report.

------Report of my latest trip (26/07/22)------

So while I do not remember the details of most trips I have just today taken another dose of DET, 200 milligrams, so I can detail this as a somewhat stereotypical high dose DET trip.

Started as usual, on an empty stomach at 11:00 PM I’ve swallowed 200 milligrams of DET freebase in a gelatin capsule. First effects were felt at the 28 minute mark, the usual initial dizziness. 40 minutes in and the grass outside starts having a more saturated “green”. Living in a semi-urban area and especially now a dry one due to drought (Eastern Europe for anyone wondering) the change in hue was very noticeable. By the 70 minute mark the dizziness isn’t as impactful anymore and now all white or grey surfaces are starting to get VERY textured. The white walls of the neighbouring houses display a variety of random symbols for now with the white fence in front of them presenting geometry of a quasi-aztec variety. Nothing is yet fully developed. I decide to go downstairs cos damn am I getting hungry. This is another thing with DET, the munchies I get from it are ten times worse than weed. I feel like if I don’t eat ANYTHING as soon as possible I’m going to die a slow painful death. Fast forward 10 minutes and a bowl of tuna and corn salad later I feel quite a bit better but my lust for food is not yet satisfied. Another half empty fridge and two apples later and now I can finally rest. That’s how bad the munchies get and hell I’m not even fat to warrant this insatiable hunger. You can’t imagine how horrible this can be if taking the stuff on an empty stomach at night and not being able to eat anything, that’s why I suggest really trying taking it on a full stomach if you decide to trip during the night, this way yes the effects start appearing much slower but you don’t have to devour half the house later while trying not to wake the house up.

By this time visuals are getting more pronounced but I have to stop and look at various things for them to fully develop into pure fantasy. I go into the kitchen which has gray-dotted black floor tiles and a whole show ensues for the following 20 minutes: the more textured the area the wilder the imagination can get, anywhere I looked at the floor I would see DMT-esque landscapes materialising in front of me. It was like I was standing on a glass floor with heaven at my feet… literally. After I had my fun with that I’ve retreated on the sofa and started relaxing with eyes half-closed and legs extended on a leg rest. This was by far the most amazing moment of the entire trip (and all of my trips on DET so far) that also lasted for the longest. With some Shpongle as background music my entire body kept changing colours (wore a black T-shirt and my entire body would start going from red to blue with aztec imagery all over it- couldn’t even see the T-shirt anymore). Legs appeared as if they were slowly detaching from the body and I was left amazed as all the walls around me kept on morphing into an aztec utopia. The wooden floor kept on flowing and various segments of it continuously kept on changing colours with the wood grain strands intertwining to form beautiful abstract lettering glowing and pulsating out of the ground. This continued for more than one hour all of which was pure euphoria combined with unique insights on life, but the enjoyable kind of psychedelic insights.

Having gotten up from my couch potato posture and looking out the window the fields in front of me were rapidly changing colour and the roofs of the nearby houses started slowly being pulled towards me akin to acid. I did stay outside a little but with how bright the sun was and me not having any sunglasses on hand I didn’t want to risk eye damage due to my pupils being as big as an aroused cat’s on crack so I went inside shortly after. The visuals were more pronounced inside anyway, however I did glance over at the nearby trees and the plants in the garden and they were equally textured if looking at them for long enough. Lastly, at the three hour mark, I finally retreated back to my room and stared outside at the semi-cloudy sky where an entire show started manifesting in front of me, like I’ve detailed before starting this trip report.

What was really strange was the duration of this trip, with slight visuals still being apparent eight hours after the trip started, that’s a whole new time record for this substance for me.

------ADDED NEXT DAY------

I still have some slight visuals on bright white surfaces, especially while finishing writing this paper. Slight fractals and some of those “electric threads” still visible at the edges of the paper on my monitor. Also the paper itself appears to be a very pale mix of pink and green with blue on its edges and it’s not pure white lol this is awesome. Very faded fractals start appearing on the white surface if I stare for long enough (15-20 seconds). Pattern recognition is also greatly enhanced still and the sky outside still doesn’t look completely well, “skyish”. Looking out the window again and the white-grey portions of the neighbouring houses still present visuals (still somewhat well defined, possible to see visuals and simple arabesque fractals without needing to stare for more than a few seconds. Returning to the walls in my room, they slightly change their hue from a nice pale green to a more bluish tinge every now and then. Many surfaces seem to at first not do anything but after observing them for a bit longer they suddently “shoot” out towards me for a fraction of a second, like a quick flash of light. The edges of all the walls also appear blended together if it makes sense.

Obviously if looking at the chemical structure DET is closest in structure to DMT so I wanted to rapidly address the key differences and similarities between the two.

-Mindspace: at least for me none of them make me think my life choices in any way unless I specifically make that as the point of trip beforehand. DET CEVs seem to be more "chaotic" and you’re more of a spectator visualising them rather than actively being sucked inside the mindscape. Mind you, this can still happen, especially on high enough doses, and can take you completely by surprise. Entities can appear on DET as well, although they’re not as pronounced and the compound rather focuses on pure fantasy, thinking of things and then having them appear in your mind is a very common occurrence in my trips, this is why I consider it a perfect tool for philosophical monologues as any idea can easily be brought to life in an instant if you just focus hard enough. You feel more like a god over your imagination rather than a prisoner being thrown into the unknown like it often happens on DMT. You watch the actions manifesting from a distance but you can choose to get involved as well if you only think of doing so, it’s hard to explain..

-Visuals: here I’m strictly comparing DMT vs DET with no MAOIs involved so DMT will obviously be inactive when taken orally. However some of the visuals of smoked DMT are similar to the ones on orally taken DET, talk about interchangeability. For this test I’ve chosen my room both times so I can watch the fantasy manifest from the exact same angle both times and compare the results. The tests were spaced by one week and happened around one month ago. The light level in my room was medium-low. DMT caused my entire visual field to slice and the load-bearing column in my room was divided in six or so segments stretching in all directions individually from one another. The entire room also caught on a yellow tinge and imagery akin to the aztec calendar appeared on the ceiling pulsating outwards. The ceiling is at an angle with my room being in the mansarde, with the visuals primarily manifesting on the angled section closest to me. Lo and behold at the peak of my DET trip the exact same visuals were noted, complete with parts (this time different parts but same idea) of my room being sliced and moving left right and centre, almost couldn’t believe my eyes when I’ve seen the similarities. Only that the entire experience was obviously an order of magnitude longer than DMT which really allowed me to fully enjoy the visuals but the headspace was the same, same with the aztec imagery, albeit on DET the visual wonderland was covering more parts the room. On my DMT I was a bit sad the visuals were gone so fast but the second time on DET no complaints really, it really had the perfect duration.

-Movement: DET tends to cause more nausea than DMT but once at the peak I can move relatively easy on DET. Pupils are not always as big as my face and it’s not obvious I am on something unless I’m staring eyes and mouth wide open at the wall with music blasting in the background looking like I’ve just seen the reincarnation of Jesus.

As a last point in the first edition of this report if I can call it that is my second ever trip on DET which scared me shitless. My first ever trip was with 50 milligrams (got a jeweller’s scale that can measure on the milligram scale with not very big errors) and it was pretty uneventful, save for the fact that it was my first text-melting experience ever and something novel is always interesting to explore for the first time. It was more of a test dose so I could get my feet wet before going with a full 100 milligrams. Now, I’ve read and re-read TiHKAL (and PiHKAL, but I was always a tryptamine guy) more times than I can remember up to that point and I somewhat knew what to expect but I still wanted to make sure. Well, it all went well for my first dose and the only major visual was the text on my phone melting a bit and some nausea that didn't affect the experience.

This was all fine and dandy and the very next day I decided to dose again. Well… following an error at the scale (measured something beforehand and forgot to reset it or whatnot) I took 300 milligrams instead of the planned 100. While I can now easily take 300 mgs and be fine with it as I know what to expect, imagine the feeling of taking a soul bending dose and literally be thrown into the unknown for six hours straight; and it’s not like I could tell anyone either so I had to ride it out on my own. With eyes closed it was total mayhem so I tried to keep my eyes open for the first half of the trip, but getting a bit late darker outside I started getting mindfucked by OEVs as well at this point. I am not really a fan of the so-called “ego death” and how everyone has the impression that this is what they experience with every single trip, but I’d be damned if that wasn’t one for me. It was the turning point in my life. Once I recalled the dosages mid-trip in TiHKAL and I remembered that Shulgin’s 400 mg dose, although big, didn’t do any harm to him, I at least calmed down. The headspace was very much like normal psychedelics that times as in it forced me to literally analyse my life and always think about how I measured that dose and whatnot (closing eyes and placing the hand on my face had the same silhouette effect as described above, but an eye opened in the middle of the fucking silhouette and looked at me and goddamnIalmostpissedmyself). Damn the thing was scary at first but mid trip I was actually able to start enjoying it fully. Managed to get up and sit down at my PC and started listening to music, that was my first experience with the orgasmic feeling of listening to heavy metal on DET, damn even now that’s a must do during any of my trips. I then promptly proceeded to have the best time of my life for the remaining three hours or so with a huge grin on my face knowing that everything was fine in the end.

Well, this is it for now, if I remember anything else worth saying I’ll edit this post and add it here so all the important info is gathered in one place. Have a good one!

Wow, thanks for that detailed account! I encourage you to post it in our Trip Reports subforum... we're trying to build a much more searchable database to rival Erowid's, as we have probably the second largest repository in existence. Not much on DET (you van tell since the megathread on it - this one - is only 2 pages long from the entire history of Bluelight...)

Sure thing, but I'll first want to rephrase it a bit and add some more stuff before I post a definitive version. And something else that's gonna be interesting to detail, I finally took the plunge today and took my first ever 400 mg dose and holy crap this stuff is INTENSE at such a dose, more so than anything I've tried so far. It completely dissolved reality around me and put to shame all the stuff I detailed above. I mean sure up to a certain dose it can be a daily recreational psychedelic almost but at 400 mg it's a completely different story. But damn this last trip dwarfed all my trips ever so far, it made DMT look like an absolute joke. It also took only 20 (!!!) minutes to almost fully kick in orally which is absolutely insanely fast and it was not even on a totally empty stomach. I'll detail the trip in great detail once I come to my senses.

Thanks for sharing this - it's great to get a detailed retrospective on such an obscure material!

I freely admit bias but I haven't tried a single tryptamine that wasn't vastly improved by the addition of a 7-methyl moiety. Whatever else it does, it appears to produce significant serotonin reuptake inhibition.

In no way practical - but (R) AMT is more or less identical to MDA (for example).

In short, someone needs to work on a decent 7-methyl-3-carboxyl indole synthesis. It's not controlled and can be used to make dozens of actives.

As for the 5-methoxy derivatives.... two thumbs down.

Thinking about attempting to vape some of my DET in the near future, little concerned tho cuz it has noticably changed color and went from white to a little brownish. Its about 2yrs old at this point and ive just never got around to it. It was confirmed with GC/MS but for whatever reason the person we got it from said they didnt get much from it so, that also hasnt had me jumping at the chance when i have so many other drugs i need to use. But alas i will give it a go soon, i will let you know if something noteworthy happens.

So I tried this several years ago while visiting a friend at Purdue ;)

However its about to come back in my life and I will definitely be able to explore it in a lot more depth. When that happens I will update, but since my last post in this thread, I have gotten quite familiar with MET. While it's been years, I would like to say that DET much more closely resembles MET than DMT, although it didn't feel as physically good as MET, and the experience was noticeably shorter. DET was 30 min, MET is closer to an hour, which I actually find kinda odd now
little concerned tho cuz it has noticably changed color and went from white to a little brownish
I bet it's still fine. The DET i smoked was probably like 10 years old, it was an off white.