• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The similarities between benzodiazepines and valerian root

Streetcow

Bluelighter
Hello

due to to the new research coming out that valerian and benzodiazepines react with the same receptor (GABAa/GABAb)

I'm interested in anyone who's had experience with both and can tell me similarities between the two and how you feel about each one being related

-Streetcow

They can feel similar but valerian root is so much better, as it is actually good for your mind as opposed to benzos which destroy your mind and cause the worst withdrawal.

They can feel similar but valerian root is so much better, as it is actually good for your mind as opposed to benzos which destroy your mind and cause the worst withdrawal.

hello burnout thank you for taking interest in my thread

I was wondering if you could give in depth comparisons between the two (like difference between intensity of euphoria or drowsiness difference)

also if you have experience with specific valeric chemicals (e.g. valeric acid)

please tell me about your experience with the specific chemical in format of a trip report

thank you for your time and have a nice day!

-Streetcow

Well, benzos definitely cause more drowsiness. I don't find either particularly euphoric but they both provide great anxiety relief. Benzos cause amnesia, valerian does not. Valerian increases psychic abilities, benzos do not. Valerian has healing properites, benzos do not. Benzos cause more muscle relaxation, valerian mainly affects the mind.

Valerian root is not good. There are no similarities. Benzos are slightly similar to an ingredient in valerian root called valerenic acid. You can buy high potency extracts of valerian root with valerenic acid contents of 4mg a pill. This is the concentration you need to look for. But valerenic acid mainly works on serotonin; it's action on the BZD receptor site is secondary to this.

It is a 5-HT 5A partial agonist:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...r_in_vitro/links/54c004f60cf21674ce9cf3f0.pdf

Well, benzos definitely cause more drowsiness. I don't find either particularly euphoric but they both provide great anxiety relief. Benzos cause amnesia, valerian does not. Valerian increases psychic abilities, benzos do not. Valerian has healing properites, benzos do not. Benzos cause more muscle relaxation, valerian mainly affects the mind.

Thank you for replying again on the thread!

thank you burn out for providing this bit of information burn out it will be noted and go toward my benzodiazepine research

-streetcow

Many potential mechanisms for the pharmacologicalactivities of valerian have been proposed, includingagonistic activities on the GABA, adenosine, barbiturate,and benzodiazepine receptors [4,29,48]. However, newerstudies have questioned these data [12,40]. Schumacher etal. [40] found no significant binding of valerian compoundsto either benzodiazepine or GABAA receptors in concen-trations up to 100 AM

Valerian root is not good. There are no similarities. Benzos are slightly similar to an ingredient in valerian root called valerenic acid. You can buy high potency extracts of valerian root with valerenic acid contents of 4mg a pill. This is the concentration you need to look for. But valerenic acid mainly works on serotonin; it's action on the BZD receptor site is secondary to this.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...r_in_vitro/links/54c004f60cf21674ce9cf3f0.pdf

hello blue haired girl

first and Formost thank you for taking interest in this thread it is appreciated

also I do know the molecules in valerian I do my research but there is one thing you forgot and is also the reason I started this survey

the actives in valerian and in benzos act on the same receptors (GABAa and GABAb) not just the serotonin receptors may I remind you

also do you have any experience with both or one and if so please share your report on the experience

thank you

-Streetcow

Many potential mechanisms for the pharmacologicalactivities of valerian have been proposed, includingagonistic activities on the GABA, adenosine, barbiturate,and benzodiazepine receptors [4,29,48]. However, newerstudies have questioned these data [12,40]. Schumacher etal. [40] found no significant binding of valerian compoundsto either benzodiazepine or GABAA receptors in concen-trations up to 100 AM

Hello again blue haired girl

thank you for this bit of info I was not aware of this could you provide a source link? I'm very interested!

-Streetcow

What do you mean "valerian root is not good"? Valerian root is a wonderful herb that has been used in herbal medicine, healing and herbal spirituality for centuries. Just because you dont like it or dont know how to use it, doesnt mean it isnt good. And it is similar to benzos in some ways. And I speak from real extended experience of using both, not from which receptor it works on or any other theoretical or mechanistic mode of thought.

No that is not what I meant lol don't misunderstand me, please. I simply meant it was not I a good comparison pharmacologically since it was not GABAergic

At least no-one has said "valerian root is what valium is made of" as someone over in EADDs doctor told them....

You really couldn't make that up coming from a doctor....:)

Oh yeah, lol, I have heard that argument a few times.

Its crazy. Probably just stems from the names sounding slightly similar and b oth being used to manage anxiety but really you wouldn't expect a doctor to come out witth.....:)

I met a woman who had an allergic reaction to an energy drink and her doctor researched it and told her the taurine in it was a natural form of caffeine and it was equal to "1000 cups of coffee" because it had 1000mg in it.

which is a standard dose of taurine.

and because coffee has 1mg of caffeine in it.

where do some dr's get their degree? and how are they allowed to get it?

He didn't stop to think it was the epinephrine they gave her at the hospital the night she had the bad reaction...?

EDIT: I wanted to correct her, but HEAVEN FORBID I did, because you can't correct people when THEIR DOCTOR told them something, of course HE has RIGHT, lolol. doctor's don't know shit!!

Doesn't this prove it!

and about the valerian containing valium, I think some of them just lie to their patients so they don't have to prescribe valium

Last edited:
What do you mean "valerian root is not good"? Valerian root is a wonderful herb that has been used in herbal medicine, healing and herbal spirituality for centuries. Just because you dont like it or dont know how to use it, doesnt mean it isnt good. And it is similar to benzos in some ways. And I speak from real extended experience of using both, not from which receptor it works on or any other theoretical or mechanistic mode of thought.

Anecdotal experience is not evidence neither is the fact that it's been used for centuries. We smoked tobacco for centuries too before we learned it was bad. Just because something is natural and heavily used doesn't automatically mean it has validity, that is the importance of doing double blind studies and research. Placebo has a huge effect on people.

Placebo plays a major role in the "natural" lifestyles. The real effects come from eating healthy and exercising which these lifestyles encourage.

It does have 100% validity

There is research that it actually works and is CNS active at serotonin receptors in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.

It does have 100% validity

There is research that it actually works and is CNS active at serotonin receptors in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.

I wasn't commenting on whether it was valid or not just that anecdotal experience is not proof and that "it's natural" is a logical fallacy, whether or not it's true is another matter.