rate this film:

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Monster_ZERO

Bluelighter
I just finished watching The Ring, an American remake of a Japanese ghost story "updated for the digital age."

The story "Ring" was originally penned by Koji Suzuki--for all of you that prefer the book to the movie stalwarts.

Give it a look see and tell me what you think.

:)

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67457

The remake was quite impressive, though IMO not quite as good as the original. Some elements were missing from the jap plot (the grandfather, and the ending which involves him), and the kid that plays the character that was Yoshi in the original was crappy. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised. It had an edge.

This movie was a cinematic work of art. Not only did Naomi Watts finally get her chance to showcase her extremely riveting technique, she made one of the first truly (commercially) scary flicks to have been made in a long time.

She is a GREAT actress. GO see 21 Grams.

TiberCross said:
This movie was a cinematic work of art. Not only did Naomi Watts finally get her chance to showcase her extremely riveting technique, she made one of the first truly (commercially) scary flicks to have been made in a long time.

She is a GREAT actress. GO see 21 Grams.

actually, her acting was so much more supple in Mulholland drive

yes Mulholland Drive was excellent.

in 21 grams she was bursting at the seams

yes i was going to link to the older thread too...
but it was never transfered over to this forum for some reason and when this came up in another similar situation we decided just to restart the threads with new fresh posts instead of dredging up the older versions.
so post or repost away.

the japanese version had me shrieking in terror and madness . Havent seen the one with naomi watts....but several ppl have told me the jap version is scarier. Did sadako come out of the well and straight through your television sets too???

this is another movie where the concept frightened me more than the viseral experience of the movie
thinking of the experiences manifesting themselves in real life is what does my head in. the pychological thriller vs. the jump out and scare you /well animated ghosts and gobblins films

while i love any movie that will make me jump and make my heart race, i much prefer psychological thrillers to the 'boo! i scared you!' movies. i loved 'the ring'

i have heard that 'ringu' was much, much scarier and more fucked up than 'the ring' and it's on my list of movies to rent in the near future.

xena said:

i have heard that 'ringu' was much, much scarier and more fucked up than 'the ring' and it's on my list of movies to rent in the near future.

yup! thats the one i watched! :) my sister couldnt take a shower for a week after watching it...hahahhaa. It is GOOD

I saw The Ring first, Ringu a few months later. Maybe because I knew the storyline already but I did not find Ringu to be scarier. Especially the video the kids watch - the one in The Ring was much creepier to me.

One thing that lost The Ring some sting for me was during the famous TV scene there is a cut to Naomi driving to the apartment which splits the event. Whereas Ringu's TV scene is continuous as far as I recall. There was something about the cutting in The Ring I didn't quite like. Though it was very good. I liked the sped up jerk bit that knocks Noah over.

Get this for kick-ass.... there will be a sequel to the remake. No wait.... the director is Hideo Nakata.

What fucked me up was Sadako's eyes...freakier than anything in the remake. ;)

I'm getting scared all over again just reading this thread. But for me, I thought the Japanese version had the scarier parts. Especially the coming out of the TV. The way her head moved as if her neck was broken from falling down the well. The way she had no fingernails, because she'd scratched them all out aginst the well walls. Aaaarghh!!

*looks around the room nervously*

SADAKO...........damn! the jap version wins, hands down in the fright dept. That creepy still video....the sing-song tone of that briny poem about the sea .......eeek those chewed down nails....and that BLACK EYE!!!!! (try watching the whole scene when sadako comes out of the tv without closing your eyes....i guarantee your blood will turn to ice! i did it! )

Ringu 2 is pretty good as well. It's obviously not as polished as the original, but there are still a few bits to get you nervous.

As for the remake -

1) Don't use a little girl that's nowhere near as scary as Sadako.
2) NEVER let her speak!!! It ruined the whole illusion. Sadako is meant to be an embodiment of pure evil. Giving her a cheesy American little girl voice ruins it.

i was pleasantly surprised by this movie. i really enjoyed it. it started off slow...but once it got going, that was it. pretty twisted and scary. but a good scary without the gory scarey stuff that makes movies cheesy.

I like them both equally. Maybe the original a little more.
While the original has too little dialogue/exposition, the remake had far too much. If I had to choose, I must say I prefer less dialogue in creepy movies.

Sadako's eyes and her movements coming out of the TV were truely creepy in the original. The remake did okay, but her instant (static-like) teleportations seemed more fit for Dragon Ball Z.

I'm intrigued at how the sequel to the remake will go as the director of the original trilogy, Hideo Nakata, will be helming it as well. I still haven't had a chance to catch his other famous horror, "Dark Water".

I thought this was the most plastic & 1 dimensional role Naomi Watts has had. 21 Grams and (especially) Mulholland Drive show off her amazing range.